1.    #1  
    Since getting my T600, I have people constantly complaining that they cannot hear me. I've tried holding the phone different ways and even speaking directly into the bottom of it and then placing it to my ear to hear the response, and they still complain. Yesterday, I tried 3 headsets, and I still got complaints. I also have a Sanyo 8100 and they say that phone sounds great.

Is there any way to turn up the audio output on a Treo?
    Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
    you might want to review my thread "Outgoing Voice quality from Treo 600":

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...45504/s/h.html

Based upon my experience with the Treo 600 and the comments/poll feedback on the thread above, I have personally come to the conclusion that some (a very significant %) of T600's have a problem with outgoing voice quality, but it varies by production run. This is reflected in the poll results.

I have "Rev B" hardware, maybe the "Rev C" phones work better; I don't know. But I do plan to upgrade my T600 to Rev C (or better) at some point in the future. You can determine your Hardware Rev (if it's a Sprint phone) by dialing ##786.

As you mentioned, and as one user on the thread above confirmed, it does make a difference how you hold the Treo 600. This is not surprising, many phones with electret microphones are sensitive to the local/external acoustic baffling effects. It's a major design factor that the acoustic engineers would try to minimize.

If a headset isn't helping, then you may just have a defective phone. Most Treo's are only having this audio problem when in "handset" mode. Used in speakerphone mode, or with a headset, they sound ok. This makes sense as the speakerphone mode requires higher Mic gain. For handset mode they probably introduce some attenuation into the Mic path, which is a good guess for where the problem is. Obviously it's not the Mic itself, or the problem would show up in speakerphone mode too. With my Treo, handset mode recordings sound "muddy", while speakerphone calls are crystal-clear (go figure!).

You might try a really good headset (the Shure headset mentioned in this forum works great for me); make recordings on voicemail and listen to the playback comparision. But if you've already tried 3, that's a longshot

I also used a Sanyo 8100 on Sprint (this same #, before going to the Treo 600). That little Sanyo worked better as a phone, and had much better voice quality. The other thing it did was always ring on incoming calls -- reliably. With the T600, about a third of my calls go into voicemail, even with a "5" signal strength. I'll be waiting on a call (even looking at the T600's screen), nothing will happen then I'll discover there's a new voicemail, but it never rang. These two problems taken together, are very annoying. But I'm hoping they'll improve as PalmOne ramps up production volume and rev's their silicon... then I'll replace my hardware. Hope lives eternal!!
    Last edited by sbell22; 01/14/2004 at 09:52 AM.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the outstanding response. I'm going to read your linked thread as soon as I complete this reply.

I have rev C hardware (thanks for telling me how to check). I have done as you suggested and tried several tests, leaving myself voicemail so I can hear the results. When I talk normally, it sounds muffled or "muddy". I think that if I talk directly into the bottom of the phone it sounds OK, my wife doesn't. I tried speakerphone mode, and you were correct again, that sounded good. Then, I tried the various cheapo headsets that I have, and they all sounded terrible. Finally, I tried my Bluetooth Jabra Headset. It had a very "speakerphone-like" sound to it. I really didn't like it either.

One interesting thing to note. I called Sprint support, and they said that I should go to their store and swap out the phone. I think they're correct and that should be my next step. I too am experienceing the dropped calls, the calls straight to voicemail, and the calls that I can see coming in but the phone never rings. She gave me some steps to fix that, and I've done them and now I'll check it out to see what kind of results I get. Here is what she had me do:

*18 (send)
    turn off/on
    *720 (send)
    turn off/on
    *980 (send)
    turn off/on
    I don't know if this has been covered in another thread, but I was not getting alot of calls over the last week... I discovered that (connected to Vision or not) that if I shutdown Chatter, I didn't have the problem anymore
    Thanks for that reset sequence, WF... I'll try it too (the * codes). By "turn off/on", I wonder if she meant soft-resetting the Treo. The off-on switch on the top does little more than turn off the display... doubt if it would effect much more than that.

Rats - so much for my "Rev C hardware may be OK" theory!

Would you mind sharing your experience (with the "muffled" audio & missed calls) over on the "audio quality" thread (the one I posted the url for)? There seem to be a lot of non-believers... e.g. 50% of those on the poll have no problem with the Treo's audio quality. Maybe they actually have good units, but i tend to doubt there's that much variation. More likely, they haven't taken the trouble to record what their outgoing audio sounds like, and play it back. There may also be some percentage of the production Treo 600's out there that don't have this problem.

It's been suggested this is nit-picking, etc. But this Treo defect is not subtle, in my experience; it's actually a major malfunction.
    Last edited by sbell22; 01/14/2004 at 02:19 PM.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
  6.    #6  
    I'll try to post on the other thread shortly. When she said turn the phone off and on, I turned off wireless mode by holding the power button on the top down. I assumed that's what she meant. Basically, I think I needed to disconnect from the tower and reconnect.