1. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    This PTT thing certainly goes into the "I don't get it" category.....

PTT lets your phone act as a walkie-talkie with other PTT users on the same network (Sprint, Nextel, Orange etc.)

Sprint has unlimited PCS2PCS and most other carriers have something similar, so why is PTT needed ar wanted? It seems a PITA to keep toggling a button.

What am I missing?

This may be a question everyone wanted to ask, but thought they'd sound stupid. I'm not afraid of sounding stupid - why should I be afraid of the truth????
    Cheers

Charles
    Originally posted by ceb
    This PTT thing certainly goes into the "I don't get it" category.....

PTT lets your phone act as a walkie-talkie with other PTT users on the same network (Sprint, Nextel, Orange etc.)

Sprint has unlimited PCS2PCS and most other carriers have something similar, so why is PTT needed ar wanted? It seems a PITA to keep toggling a button.

What am I missing?

This may be a question everyone wanted to ask, but thought they'd sound stupid. I'm not afraid of sounding stupid - why should I be afraid of the truth????
    Well the key on the other networks is that you dont pay for airtime (minutes) when using the PTT feature
  3. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    So why would anyone want PTT on a network with unlimited wireless to wireless plans - like Sprint???????

Or is everyone just wanting to get on the "me too" bandwagon.....
    Cheers

Charles
    The one plus, and only I see, is that you can broadcast to groups all at one time.

I was watching a tv show where cops were using it to let everyone know what was going on.

You cannot do that on a regualr phone unless you manually conference everyone in. Not to timely.
    Bosses like it because it makes them think they can get ahold of you easier with the click of a button (in the bathroom, when you're dining out with your girlfriend, etc). Bosses pay the bills, so Sprint makes it available.

Personally, I can't stand the idea of having someone just pop up and start talking to me no matter where I am.
    And another stupid question...which button will one push to talk????
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    There has been much written about this. The best I can say having used and Nextel PTT in a busy work environment is that it is something like comparing email with instant messaging. Both are effective means of communication, but in a busy work environment, the speed and informality of PTT can be very useful.

For example, you’re an IT guy and need to find out what port number some workstation is plugged into. You PTT another rep and say “Bob, what’s Mary’s port number?” He answers “135”. End of conversation.

Same conversation on a phone call is more distracting and will likely take longer, because it is more likely to include the formalities of some small talk and will more often end up leading to other topics. i.e. you call Bob: “Hi this is Bob” You say “hi Bob, this is Dick” Bob says “Oh hi ****, how’s it going?” etc. While the conversation could be as cut and dry as with PTT, it would generally be sort of rude not to be so direct.

And just as with IM, Bob is more likely to respond, because you don’t have to completely disengage from whatever you are already doing as you would with a phone call. And also like IM, you can have several conversations at the same time.

This may not be the best example, but having used PTT a lot, I can say that it can be incredibly useful in a busy work environment. You’ll notice I keep mentioning a busy work environment. I have never found PTT very useful for personal use and often in business you do need to have a real conversation with someone and a regular call is the way to go. So for me, PTT is awesome if you need to stay in constant touch with a bunch of people.
    I'm picturing myself talking to some girl at a bar when my girlfriend's voice suddenly comes out of one those things. No thanks. I'll stick with a cell that can go straight to voicemail. My impression is that the underlying, unsaid market for these things are people who don't trust their employees or spouses to answer their phones.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    One thing to keep in mind is that you can and should turn off the speaker. And at least on Nextel, you can use it like a phone and hold it up to your head, so you don’t annoy everyone around you.

There is also the side benefit of being able to remotely embarrass people. For instance, your friend with PTT gets on a crowded elevator. You still in the lobby, PTT him a loud fart sound. Or just ask if his hemorrhoids are doing better today.
    Someone posted an article in another thread about Orange's (euro provider) PTT service and the T600. Aparently Orange's service allows people to regulate when they're "available" on PTT. It sounded like they could turn that feature off and use it as a normal phone. (I didn't read the whole article, but I'm pretty sure that's right) That makes it slightly more attractive to me.