1.    #1  
    Hi,

I received my Treo 600 from T-Mobile today. It turned up quite out of the blue and I was really excited to receive it. Unfortunately, after playing with it for about 30mins my interest really subsided. I donít think this device has anything on my Blackberry 7230. I'm still going to play with it over the next few days to see if it can surprise me. I will post more when I have come to a final conclusion.

Hamish
    maybe you should look into some of the 10,000 palm programs you can download onto a treo/palm device and not the blackberry. i personally couldn't live at this point without "thought manager." (a 3rd party palm os compatible program)

there is just so much cool software out there for palms/treos.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Yeah, umm, Treo 600 versus Blackberry [anything]. Yeah, uh, no comparison. Not even a fair contest.

Treo smokes it. I'd be curious to know what vertical requirements you have that would even put the Blackberry in the same ballpark with the 600. Very curious.
  4.    #4  
    Iím curious how many of you who knock the capabilities of the Blackberry have ever even used one in conjunction with a correctly configured Blackberry Enterprise Server?
    Originally posted by hdavidson
    Iím curious how many of you who knock the capabilities of the Blackberry have ever even used one in conjunction with a correctly configured Blackberry Enterprise Server?
    One can have the advantages of the blackberry service on their Treo 600:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/298-1.htm

A win, win situation in my eyes.........
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I can only speak for myself, of course. The Blackberry's nice. But again, no comparison. Not even close.

30-minute polling via Snappermail (versus the Blackberry's push), combined with all the other Treo 600 features beats the stuffing out of the Blackberry.

Carry a phone, PDA, **and** a Blackberry?! No thanks. I'll slip my Treo 600 in my pocket and be on my way. And be SMSing, IMing, e-mailing, contact managing, calendar managing, document editing, (real) web browsing, gaming, listening to tunes. Oh yeah, and making phone calls too.

Blackberry's are so twentieth century :-) .
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got rid of my Blackberry before buying the Treo. There is absoulely no comparison. My company has a dedicated Blackberry enterprise server; about 60 of my coworkers use the Blackberry and love it; however, 2 of them use it as a "smartphone." The reception is horrible (no matter who the service provider is), it has a backlight no stronger than that of a timex watch, the resolution of the screen is like the first color gameboy, etc. And as far as tech support goes . . . RIM (research in motion) doesn't even have anyone knowledgeable enough to support ACT! 6.0 (my primary contact manager). Now, don't get me wrong, there are a couple features that I had on my Blackberry that I do miss...

I have used several mail applications, including Sprint Business Connection, but still have failed to find one that allows me to receive real-time e-mail. For most of them, 15 minutes is the quickest auto send/receive setting. With my Blackberry it would come in about the same time I would hear the chime on my desktop. If anyone has any suggestions on another app. that allows you to stay connected and receive it right when it reaches your primary mailbox, I would love to try it out. I can use Outlook or Lotus Notes, either is fine. Another thing I miss is the size; even though it was a good size it didn't look abnormal sitting on a belt clip or holster and/or make it feel as if something is trying to pull your belt off. The treo is a bit of a hefty hassle to carry on my belt.

I'm sure you will eventually change your mind. As I mentioned in a prev. post, I am new to PalmOS and I was completely blown away during my first visit to PalmGear's website. They have applications for every possible thing you can think of. It wouldn't suprise me if there is one out there that keeps track of your bathroom breaks and tells you when to go relieve yourself or something. If you look at all the posts in this forum and do a bit of research, you will see reviews and suggestions for other incredilbe applications.

-QuicK
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    You can configure Snappermail (best smartphone e-mail client out there, in my opinion) to go check for new mail every **1** minute if you want to.

Also, I'm a pretty average-size guy for these parts (5' 10", 180 lbs), and I suffer no discomfort just slipping the Treo in my pocket. I just use screen protectors.

I can't imagine having some nerd-alert block strapped to my belt. Every since Sanyo came out with the ultra-slim candy bar style units several years ago, I've sworn off the Star Trek look.
    Hi,

I received my Treo 600 from T-Mobile today. It turned up quite out of the blue and I was really excited to receive it. Unfortunately, after playing with it for about 30mins my interest really subsided.

Hamish
    If you don't like it, sell it to me!
    Hi,

I received my Treo 600 from T-Mobile today. It turned up quite out of the blue and I was really excited to receive it. Unfortunately, after playing with it for about 30mins my interest really subsided. I donít think this device has anything on my Blackberry 7230. I'm still going to play with it over the next few days to see if it can surprise me. I will post more when I have come to a final conclusion.

Hamish
    The 600 isn't for everyone.

I'm sure you still are an okay person.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The Treo 270 has disappeared from the T-Mobile consumer handheld devices webpage - after the "unavailable due to high demand" (har har) message.

Is this a sign of something coming....? After all the 600 is there on the business portion of the website.

still waiting....
    Originally posted by skidoo
    You can configure Snappermail (best smartphone e-mail client out there, in my opinion) to go check for new mail every **1** minute if you want to.
    But this isn't a very wise choice, though, is it... considering that whenever the device is polling for new mail, any phone calls received during that time are shuttled to voicemail.

So, assuming a mere 10 seconds of polling / downloading time on average, this means that 1/6th of the day you'll be missing phone calls , right?
    Handspring appears to have left out some pertinent info about the Treo 600. Possibly due to their rush to get the product out, they haven't developed a patch that allows virtually any of the advertised OS operating system programs out at this time to actually work with the Treo 600. Myself as well as a sales rep at a local T-mobile store contacted Handspring by phone and they offered no information or help to deal with this situation. The sales rep at the T-mobile store asked, " Are you telling me all the programs I bought for my Palm Pilot 4 months ago are supposed to useless in the Treo 600?" The Tech at Handspring could only say he was sorry! Advice, don't try calling your service provider for more information, they know even less than Handspring!
    Last edited by Gordzillion; 01/19/2004 at 04:16 AM.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    What are you talking about? I have hundreds of Palm apps on my Treo 600. Troll, troll, troll, troll, ....
    Is he just now realizing that OS5 does not support all older palm apps? If so, that is hardly unique to the Treo 600.
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
    Originally posted by BaltimoreTreo
    Is he just now realizing that OS5 does not support all older palm apps? If so, that is hardly unique to the Treo 600.
    LOL!
    Yeah... I can't imagine someone being that misinformed/clueless so maybe he's just screwing with us for a reaction. All OS5 devices have the same issue, and many older programs are constantly being upgraded to support the newer OS. And where is this guy going that "any of the adveritsed OS operating system programs out at this time" aren't OS5 compatible? Sheesh... think he needs to update his links to software sites.

Plenty of OS5 compatible software can be found at the following:
    www.palmgear.com
    www.handango.com

So much so that you almost don't even need to go to any other sites :P
    Hi,I received my Treo 600 from T-Mobile todayHamish
    When and how?
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    T-Mobile shipped a very small number (rumored 200 to 400) to new corporate customers (I have one). There are now rumors that more will be shipped on Feb. 2nd - but perhaps only through Handspring.
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
    Originally posted by BaltimoreTreo
    (I have one).
    And yet we don't know if it is locked or unlocked .
    Treo 600 GSM
    Originally posted by skidoo

Carry a phone, PDA, **and** a Blackberry?! No thanks. I'll slip my Treo 600 in my pocket and be on my way. And be SMSing, IMing, e-mailing, contact managing, calendar managing, document editing, (real) web browsing, gaming, listening to tunes. Oh yeah, and making phone calls too.

Blackberry's are so twentieth century :-) .
    I have found even more teally cool things to do, such as I have almost figured out hot to get access to the 10 gig of MP3's on my home network with my T600... Who needs a memory card? Mainly this is just to show off to other people (Like a few people who choose a Samsung I500 over the T600). It soft of works, I am still trying to figure out all the kinks.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre