1.    #1  
    Can anyone help? The backlight on my Handspring Treo 270 running palm OS 3.5.2H5.7 keeps activating automatically at random and repeated intervals for no reason whatsoever even when lid is shut(works as usual when opened) and is draining the battery power.I have tried all avenues with little help-reset preferences but light just activates for a shorter period but still drains battery.?possibly related to loaded software. All ideas greatly welcomed
    I have the same problem. Someone at Handspring suggested that it will happen in "weak" areas where the phone keeps going from in to out of network status frequently.
    Quote Originally Posted by lenpra
    I have the same problem. Someone at Handspring suggested that it will happen in "weak" areas where the phone keeps going from in to out of network status frequently.
    After reading some other comments in this forum, I deleted old SMS from my sent folder and the problem seems to have cleared up.
    The backlight turning on by itself usually happens when you have unread messages sitting in your inbox or when you leave the SMS application open when you start writing an SMS message which you do not complete and send. So, to save on battery, make sure your incoming SMS messages are read as soon as they come in and do not leave half completed SMS messages in your SMS app, send them out or delete them.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Seems to me ( though I can't confirm it) that it may also be occuring due to cell location informmation being recievd by the phone. This is the infomration that tells you which tower you are connected to. Very useful in telling you your approximate location. Strangely enough my venerable nokia 5110 had this as a standard thing, but I can't find a way to get this information in the tero. Surely it should be possible !!
    Quote Originally Posted by robinsc
    Seems to me ( though I can't confirm it) that it may also be occuring due to cell location informmation being recievd by the phone. This is the infomration that tells you which tower you are connected to. Very useful in telling you your approximate location. Strangely enough my venerable nokia 5110 had this as a standard thing, but I can't find a way to get this information in the tero. Surely it should be possible !!
    The Treo 'waking up' anomoly is nothing to do with cell location. It's a feature of the Treo to keep trying to send a message, that's all.

A few older cell-phones (Nokia et al) had this funny display of numbers, which denoted what cell you were in... it was completely useless and served no real purpose (to the end user). This was later changed to city names - again, quite mute because most people already know what city they are in. Later, there were even town names... all superceded by roaming agreements, which may tell you you are roaming with TurkCell (Turkey) when you are physically in Crete!!

Saying this, network operators still use the number display whilst working in the field. The numbers are used to quickly see a cells strength and coverage before the cell is optimised (ie. get better coverage than the opposition).
    www.gsmworld.com
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Hi nzmoko,
    This was happening after I had deleted all sms messges from my phone. I did have a demo of traffic ststs on the treo so it's possible that this could have been the culprit. The cell location information is much more detailed than the provider name and actually shows up as a location e.g "Rash behari" "salt lake" "park street" etc . It is offered by both the major providers here in calcutta - airtel and hutch. I had heard that many places were behind india technologywise ( because we were late adopters) perhaps this is one of those cases. I also read in a review that the Tungsten W does have cell location information. If you are interested the url is http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/3323,2.html
    "The Preferences application includes an additional Mobile panel, which shows the status of the GSM radio (on or off), the number assigned to the device, and various settings and readout options. The excellent readouts include the current cell location, signal quality, and GPRS status, as well as records of the total incoming and outgoing call lengths and the amount of GPRS data sent and received during the last session and all total sessions."
    - Does anyone have access to a tungsten w who can comment ?