1.    #1  
    I need to purchase some units for business, but I would rather not use ebay, or other means that may be 'sketchy'.

How have others gone about getting them into Canada?

Are there any US or Int business that will ship to Toronto?

How are the warranties handled by Handspring outside of the US?

(in the end I might simply order them, and have it shipped to a US address… …but then I have to deal with the whole VISA Canadian address issue…)

Any help would be great.

TIA
    I got my unlocked GSM units through www.gsmphonesource.com in Vegas - top notch service, they shipped to me in Bermuda (you think you have issues ordering stuff from Canada?)

Mine was originally the Cingular branded model and I have upgraded the firmware to 2.09 INT to fix a couple of nagging issues with voice quality.

I would expect that either the GSM players in Canada are being held up due to certification / customization issues as is T-Mobile in the US. I guess if you have the market to sell the phones then you have the "pull" to be first on the block to have stock.

As far as warranty goes - don't expect anything to be available from Palm/Handspring/Palmone in Canada until after the carriers there release them. Until then you might be stuck with sending them back to the US and Handspring/Palm/Palmone.

Anyway - good luck

DemonJ
    Unfortunalty gsmphonesource.com is out of stock right now.....I ordered mine 3 weeks ago, and I'm still waiting for mine to be shipped.

Although I hear that they should begin shipping soon.
    I live in Toronto and got the 600 delivered to Florida (while I was away during XMas) to avoid any taxes. I ordered it directly from Handspring for $US399. The problem is that they sent me the AT&T version by mistake. So now I am waiting for the unlocked Cingular version (so it works with Rogers) to be sent to my Canadian address as a "replacement unit". And the warranty is covered by Handspring/Palm One.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by asj7
    I live in Toronto and got the 600 delivered to Florida (while I was away during XMas) to avoid any taxes. I ordered it directly from Handspring for $US399. The problem is that they sent me the AT&T version by mistake. So now I am waiting for the unlocked Cingular version (so it works with Rogers) to be sent to my Canadian address as a "replacement unit". And the warranty is covered by Handspring/Palm One.
    hmmm, so Handspring DOES sell unlocked GSM units?(or if I order the Cingular version, it already comes unlocked...?)

Also, good to know about the warranty

so, how'd you get it for $399??
    I am an existing Treo 270 owner, and Handspring knocks off $200 of the price if you are already an owner of a Treo. See the website.
  8.    #8  
    I am an existing Treo 270 owner, and Handspring knocks off $200 of the price if you are already an owner of a Treo. See the website.
    ah yes, wasn't sure if that was still being offered.

Thanks again.
    Originally posted by demonj
    I got my unlocked GSM units through www.gsmphonesource.com in Vegas - top notch service, they shipped to me in Bermuda (you think you have issues ordering stuff from Canada?)

Mine was originally the Cingular branded model and I have upgraded the firmware to 2.09 INT to fix a couple of nagging issues with voice quality.

I would expect that either the GSM players in Canada are being held up due to certification / customization issues as is T-Mobile in the US. I guess if you have the market to sell the phones then you have the "pull" to be first on the block to have stock.

As far as warranty goes - don't expect anything to be available from Palm/Handspring/Palmone in Canada until after the carriers there release them. Until then you might be stuck with sending them back to the US and Handspring/Palm/Palmone.

Anyway - good luck

DemonJ
    I am getting the unlocked Cingular 600 model tomorrow. Do I need to upgrade the firmware for it to work on Rogers in Toronto...and where can I get this software? Thanks.
    I have the Cingular 600 with Rogers in Montreal. No need to do anything for the phone to work.

However, for the internet to work, there's a certain procedure which I haven't figured out yet...

Text messages work as well

Alex
    Originally posted by AlexMagoo
    I have the Cingular 600 with Rogers in Montreal. No need to do anything for the phone to work.

However, for the internet to work, there's a certain procedure which I haven't figured out yet...

Text messages work as well

Alex
    If you have a data plan the internet should work with no problems. There is no setup.
  12.    #12  
    did you have any problems ordering it with a Canadian addressed credit card?
    While this is not directly related to your question, Aliant is completing testing of the CDMA version of the 600 with the product becoming available in the next 2-6 weeks (I would expect a similar timeline for Bell Mobility as they are probably pooling their testing).

I am getting the unlocked Cingular 600 model tomorrow. Do I need to upgrade the firmware for it to work on Rogers in Toronto...and where can I get this software? Thanks.
    I received my 600 about 3 weeks ago.Just put in your sim card and everything will work!
    jerry
    Originally posted by MasterB

did you have any problems ordering it with a Canadian addressed credit card?
    No problem, but I used a U.S. credit card (CITI AAdvantage) with a Canadian address.
    Got mine from gsmphonesource.com -- very helpful staff. Send them an email.. if you still need some!

Device is awesome -- very fast, responsive, and it 'connects to the internet' very very fast.

Transfer rates seem at least 3 times faster when browsing the web too..

So far i'm impressed.
    Mine came with "older" Cingular firmware. I upgraded it to 2.08 then 2.09 which improved on a few of voice quality issues et al - otherwise the phone works out of the box regardless of firmware.

I used mine on RAT&T with the original Cingular firmware without any issues at all.

Also - gsmphonesource did "work with me" to get an order from out of country. I live in a backwater when it comes to ordering things from abroad.

Best luck

DemonJ
    For your info, this great phone appears to be available in Ottawa for $CAN 1425. See importcell.ca
    Yikes - maybe for convenience sake... Even after paying shipping and duty CAD$1400+ is a bit steep....

Maybe last year when the C$ was worth $.63 or so... not now...

DemonJ