Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wasn't really looking for it, but stumbled across a way to modify the name that is displayed for the operator at the top left of your screen.

Open the CurrentCarrier.pdb using Filez and edit record 1. Change the operator name into whatever you like, just make sure you don't exceed the length of the string with the official name. If your name isn't long enough just fill the remaining part with spaces.

You will have to edit the relevant records in the CarrierList.pdb if you want the change to persist after having roamed to another network and change the names for other carriers.

My Treo is now displaying FRUIT instead of Orange
    That file doesn't seem to exist on my Sprint Treo. There's a file named CarrierCustomization, but it's in ROM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Originally posted by Mol
    My Treo is now displaying FRUIT instead of Orange
    ROFL! That's great!

Wow Mol, what more are you gonna find in there? Thanks for digging around so much! Hehehe!
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    That file doesn't seem to exist on my Sprint Treo. There's a file named CarrierCustomization, but it's in ROM.
    Now you know why you should have bought a GSM Treo.
    Mol, What size is that file, perhaps we can fid it that way. Great find!
    Regards.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    Mol, What size is that file, perhaps we can fid it that way. Great find!
    Regards.
    I'd be surprised if there's a similar file on the Sprint version. The GSM carrier logic is entirely different from CDMA, and the firmware for the Sprint phone is probably specific to Sprint and so they didn't have to externalize any of the strings. I assume HS will simply produce another specific version for other CDMA carriers if needed.

However, if I remember correctly you managed accessing the network in China so if it did display something else than Sprint it could mean there is a file with other than Sprint carrier data.
    Mol,
    Yes, it did disaply "Roaming". I think your right, the GSM version is probably pretty generic and there is just a file for basicaly Incert Carrier Name Here or the like. The Sprint one is probably embeded in some other Sprint proprietary file.
    Thanks, Matt
    Anyone know which entries in CarrierList are for Cingular and T-Mobile? There are 180 of them and if someone has already uncovered them I'll save the effort.

I think this is pretty fun! My phone now says Preston instead of Vstrm or whatever it said before.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    So Cooool!!

I've changed it on my Treo 600 successfully!

now Nomad@World instead of "China Mobile",,lol

thx a lot for this tips!
    is the China Mobile T600 CDMA or GSM?
    Great tip, thanks. Now I need to think of a good replacement name.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Rats Sprint, and I was all ready to change mines to somthing else.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Let me guess....
    GekMom?
    Perhaps one day we can?
    Burk,

Among the various carriers, the Treo is certainly not equal now is it.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Huh. Changing the CarrierList does not make the change permanent on my phone when I shut if off and restart it. Am I doing something wrong? I have AT&T and edited lines 176 and 195 if I remember correctly.
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
  16.    #16  
    no you aren't doing anything wrong. I noticed the same thing on my treo. i'll see if I can find the other file that has to be changed.
    Finally i decided buy pdanet....
    In the moment in which inserted registration code in pdanet configuration i became inable to connect in internet with notebook throught treo.

With treo stand alone i can do it but with pc and pdanet not yet.
    You or someone else can tell me something on this new problem?

Hi and (disperatly) thank
    ....never ending story......
    can you help me to understand if my problem with pdanet and treo 600 is due to pdanet software or my Isp?
    I wrote to support of pdanet and they suggest me to uninstall software and reinstal it, in order toi tell them if the problem is caused by registration operation.

I answered them that the problem is persistent (some time it function, but for a cup of seconds).

after this i have recieved no more support from them and i don't know at this moment with who take me....

Tell me something you please...
    I'll take the Unlimited Internet (which nobody else in the states offers) over changing my name up top any day. Besides, thats what the wallpaper is for!

(cool tip though....)
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
  20.    #20  
    For those that aren't afraid of a little challenge and have followed the unlock thread: I think you can make the change permanent by editing the operator name strings in the FirmwareStackRel.pdb.

Haven't tried it myself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast