Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The lack of BT is holding off my purchase as well.

From what I understand, the reason why Sprint has been so reluctant to release BT enabled phones it to prevent people from using the technology to more easily use their phones as a modem to the Vision network. For this reason, Sprint's been reluctant to release the sony ericson 608 - which is supposed to be only sold thru telesales with a "special" calling plan that has data pro-rated at a rate much higher than the rest of the phones.

Based on the lack of support that Sprint has really put behind the Treo 300 - I am predicting that the 600 will NEVER had BT as OEM or aftermarket.

I guess I'm just gonna hang onto my 300 and wait for the next gen of treos and hopefully thats gonna have BT.
    www.bubblespeed.com
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    My two cents.... Bluetooth was either going to be too expensive or too battery hogging for the current Treo platform. I for one would like it, as I have a Bluetooth MINI Cooper (think giant headset on wheels...), a Nextlink Bluespoon Digital and four odd pc card and usb adapters. It would be very nice to sync the Treo wirelessly via bluetooth, use my headsets, and make a habit of blue jacking cute ladies with bluetooth phones... but I can wait for the next device, I suppose...
    Originally posted by Leeladisky

1) NADA
    2) CERO
    3) Zip

Did I miss any cards?

To be fair, there is the iGolf GPS SD card and various camera SD cards etc that are probably compatible with the Treo600 (if they can physically fit against the Treo antenna)...

Also my reasoning for Bluetooth are the following:

1) BT headset. Unleash sounds nice, but still need clunky converter

2) Automotive Telemetrics! BT will be the defacto standard for mobile phone connectivity in cars period! This is going to be a HUGE industry and PalmOne shoudl be smart and provide BT in the next itieration of the Treo...

3) BT wireless hotsync. Not the same range as WAN sync of speed fo wifi sync, but still very useful for road warriors who don't want to worry about syncing their treo to laptop while traveling

4) Using BT to connect Treo as modem for laptop. Yes, you can already do this via usb cable etc. But again, doing this wireless is great boon to those who can't always carry a cable. Btw, PDAnet will not be able to do this b/c it is hard coded for usb while Wireless Modem will!

5) Sailing Clicker! Apps like this that allow you to control you computer via BT enabled PalmOS pda rock! A windoze version of this would rock...

6) BT chat etc. Apps like Colligo etc are very usefull...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

To be fair, there is the iGolf GPS SD card and various camera SD cards etc that are probably compatible with the Treo600 (if they can physically fit against the Treo antenna)...
    I know for fact that the Igolf will physically fit in to the treo 600 even with the design of the anttenna. The issue holding up the release of the igolf has been software. It does fit. I spoke to them again yesterday, 01/12/04. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    [rant]

I want BT for ONE reason. New Acura TL (or E46 if I follow the smart money and resale value ). Both have BT handsfree kits, which after using one in a friend's ride, is a HUGE reason for Sprint, Verizon and every other US carrier to get with the program. ESPECIALLY YOU CDMA FOLKS! *wink, wink*

OK, it's really cool to jump in your car, throw the phone in the front seat as always and realize that you don't have to look over and grab it when it rings! Not to mention a little SAFER??!!??

[/rant]
    Originally posted by ilovedessert

I know for fact that the Igolf will physically fit in to the treo 600 even with the design of the anttenna. The issue holding up the release of the igolf has been software. It does fit. I spoke to them again yesterday, 01/12/04. Take care, Jay
    Hence the point of my original post... Yes, there are SD CARDS available, but none have software that support the T600 with OS5.xxx. Therein is the problem...

My complain is not lack of bluetooth specifically, it's the complete lack of ANY SDIO compatible cards that will work. Why have an SDIO slot without an application? Why not just SD then like the Hitachi PPC phone? I feel like it's as if Handspring provided a hi-res screen, and it's available, but they never plan on releasing any driver software so it's just low-res and will be forever...
    Lee Ladisky
    Cguys are gonna offer a BT card soon. While their website at www.c-guys.com doesn't list the palm OS, a user named epoints on another thread provided a 1 page slick he got at CES that says specifically that it will be available q1 this year.

i posted a scan of the slick here .

Maybe there IS light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe its just the oncoming train.
    Change is inevitable, except from vending machines. --Ironicles (lesser known cousin of a famous Greek teacher).

USR PalmPilot 5000 --> Handspring Prism --> Dell Axim X5 (UGH!!) --> Treo 600
    Originally posted by Matthew
    Cguys are gonna offer a BT card soon. While their website at www.c-guys.com doesn't list the palm OS, a user named epoints on another thread provided a 1 page slick he got at CES that says specifically that it will be available q1 this year.

i posted a scan of the slick here .

Maybe there IS light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe its just the oncoming train.
    Um, the scan you posted was for a WiFI 802.11b SDIO card, not a Bluetooth card. There is some question whether the Treo can power a WiFi card, even if the drivers are made available. If it works, a WiFi card would be welcome too, but personally I'd rather have Bluetooth.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Originally posted by mathewlu

Um, the scan you posted was for a WiFI 802.11b SDIO card, not a Bluetooth card. There is some question whether the Treo can power a WiFi card, even if the drivers are made available. If it works, a WiFi card would be welcome too, but personally I'd rather have Bluetooth.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    you're absolutely right... my bad...

i think i posted it more to point out any available SDIO card, as talked about by some on this thread, rather than specifically BT.

but i did say bt when it wasn't... sorry.

and re: the power usage, check out their link http://www.c-guys.com/Sdlink11b_index_en.htm which indicates power ranges that might just work on the treo. so, we may see an SDIO card yet...

back to your regularly scheduled BT rant.
    Change is inevitable, except from vending machines. --Ironicles (lesser known cousin of a famous Greek teacher).

As Treo 300 users, we've been promised a ton of things hardware wise that have never happened. Unless there is a significant base of users (ie 500,000 units) I doubt that there will be any aftermarket hardware support. Especially given the fact that Palm owns handspring now, they've got their hands full trying to figure out what to do now that they own the Treo.

Yes its nice that the 600 is runnin OS 5.xx - but it would be so much easier on everybody if Handspring actually made it driver compliant with the rest of the Palm devices.
    www.bubblespeed.com
    I like the Jabra FreeSpeak.http://www.jabra.com/fscs/

Originally posted by 7zero

Moe. You can always pick up the Unleash wireless headset (http://www.reasonproducts.com/unleash/index.html) and read threads about it here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t44264/s.html

I purchased an Unleash and so far it's been a good experience. Only time will tell.

Good luck and props on the apology for the language.
    What talk? Where are you getting the information that BlueTooth is going to come out in a later version of the 600?

Originally posted by moeBot

snip.

Now talk of bluetooth being integrated with a different release of Treo600 pisses me off.

snip.

Originally posted by manorton
    What talk? Where are you getting the information that BlueTooth is going to come out in a later version of the 600?

Front page of treocentral . Click on the predictions for Treo in 2004.

So starteth the rumor.

Just a rumor. What a drag.

Eyeing a new car that has BlueTooth built in.

Also using the Jabra headset. Was hoping to ditch the adapter.

Originally posted by Matthew

Front page of treocentral . Click on the predictions for Treo in 2004.

So starteth the rumor.
    BT is still niche.

also, sprint will not have a $10 data plan for BT users...I guarantee that! I want $10 data, I'm happy.

I think BT can quite likely be supplanted by an OPEN standard called wireless USB. It is gaining a lot of traction...and it is OPEN!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12