Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got the brand new Palm Brand wireless keyboard that is advertised to work with all Palm models. It uses the IR port to connect. I had planned on using it with my Treo 300 for now and then carry it forward to future devices. Unfortunately, when I downloaded the driver it won't run on any version of Palm OS earlier that 4.0 AARRGH!
    Does anybody know how I can get around this? There can't be any valid reason for it not to work other than the software checking the OS version? Can there? Anybody have any suggestions? If not, be warned, don't order this for your Treo 300/270.
    Hmm you may be correct. Try this.

Version 2.0 driver, Keyboard.prc, use a hex editor.

0x0b6a change 0x0400 to 0x0350
    0x1ac4 change 0x0400 to 0x0350
    0x1ae2 change 0x0400 to 0x0350
  3.    #3  
    Potatoho, you are the man. That was as easy as can be and yes it seems to be working. At least I was able to download the driver and run it and I can type on the keyboard and it appears on the screen. I may run into something down the road that doesn't work right but I really don't see why. At least I am going to keep the keyboard now. Thanks alot for the tip.

How were you able to come up with these edits. Do you have the capability to dissassemble the original driver? Very cool.

I tried posting this response and attaching the edited driver for other folks but it was too big to attach.

Anyway, thanks again......
    I didn't want to post a driver etc because with my luck I'd probably get sued for copyright infringement. I use splitprc and pilotdis. Then I just searched for the version tests in the disassembly and used a hex editor to locate the stuff in the prc.
    I too bought that keyboard, and had the same OS4 issue. I just set mine in the drawer, waiting patiently for the 600 to arrive, but now I have both renewed energy and confusion.
    How would someone modify that hex stuff? can the average clueless wonder do that?
    Just curious...PM me something if needed...
  6.    #6  
    I used a unix program called "hexedit".
    I did a "man" on hexedit to figure out how to use it. I think there is also a way to get emacs to edit hex files but I didn't figure this out.

If you don't have access to a unix system, I'd do a google on hexedit and see if you can find a version for windows.

I hope that gets you going.

By the way, isn't the keyboard cool looking. I love the form factor.
    I have posted this several times before, but here goes one more time...

I have the Pocketop IR keyboard, but I would consider switching to the Palm branded one, since the Pocketop doesn't have OS 5 drivers (currently slated for sometime at the end of the year)

Here's my question. The Pocketop keyboard has a little known feature where if you press the right hand shift key twice, it brings up a mouse cursor you can move with the arrow keys, and "click" with the enter key.

Is there a similar function on the Palm Wireless keyboard? If so, how does it work? I've found I've become highly dependant on this feature, and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Yes, there is a mouse feature in the Palm branded Think Outside keyboards (like this one, which btw while is all plastic on the outside and fairly cheap, has amazing keys) I think you activate it with the function key.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Miradu:

Finally, THANK YOU!!!

I am totally picking up this keyboard and the 600 in two weeks!
    Just seeking confirmation that this keyboard will indeed work with the 600 - someone who has both please verify. Thanks.
    (my 600 should be here ANY DAY NOW - dang it).
    @Stranger

I wonder if a utility such as ChangeName will work in fooling the driver into thinking that it is running under OS 4.x

The utility allows a user to change the system id string on their handheld so that the OS reports any version number you want. This way if Palm updates their driver, it will work without having to be edited first.
  12.    #12  
    When I first asked the question, that was the answer I was expecting/hoping for, that somehow I could modify my on-board flash to say my Treo was running POS4.0. But potatoho's solution is much better because it isolates the problem. Who knows what other applications you might break, or might start acting wierd of you modify the OS. This way you isolate the hack just to the keyboard PRC. By the way, it is still working well for me.
    Originally posted by nrosser
    How would someone modify that hex stuff? can the average clueless wonder do that?
    I qualify as a "clueless wonder" and I just managed to do it. It took me a long time because I had never used a hexadecimal editor before and didn't know what I was doing. Here are some more fleshed out instructions for others who might attempt the same. Hopefully this will make it quick and easy for you. My instructions are geared for Windows users because Stranger already gave recommendations for unix (and I'm not familiar with Mac programs).

1. If you don't already have version 2.0 of the keyboard.prc driver, download it from PalmOne at: http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...kb_driver.html

2. Get a hexadecimal editing program. I highly recommend "Hackman" which is freeware, and can be downloaded from cnet.com's "downloads" section. While it is a larger program (about 4 MB) than other hexadecimal editors, the first one I downloaded was very cryptic. In contrast, Hackman gives you a tutorial, a more graphical interface, and is much easier to understand.

3. Make the changes that potatoho says. However, let me explain these in more detail for those who have never seen hexadecimal code before.

Originally posted by potatoho
    0x0b6a change 0x0400 to 0x0350
    How does one interpret this? It's simple. The "0x" just means hexadecimal. So you can disregard "0x". "0b6a" means line "0b6" column "a". So scroll down to row "0b6" (the row numbers will be displayed in Hackman). Scroll across to column "a". And there you will see two pairs of numbers "04" and "00". Simply change them to "03" and "50", as potatoho instructs.

Repeat this procedure for the other two lines that potatoho mentions in a previous posting.

4. After you've made these 3 changes, save the file, install it on your Treo, and you're done!

Originally posted by Stranger
    By the way, it is still working well for me.
    Is it still working for you, Stranger?

I just installed it on my Treo 180 and the driver seems to work fine. Now that I have managed to make the modification, I am going to order myself a Palm Wireless Keyboard! (I wanted to make sure I could make the driver work before I spent $50 for the keyboard.) :->

Originally posted by Stranger
    Potatoho, you are the man.
    Absolutely! Thanks so much!
    Hi,

I know this is probably blasphemy on this board, but does anyone know if it's possible to get the Palm Wireless Keyboard to work with a Sony P800?

I know it's a different OS, but in theory how hard would it be?

I know the Pocketop keyboard has drivers for loads of stuff.

Thanks! (please don't flame me, lol)

Nish
    Originally posted by nrosser
    Just seeking confirmation that this keyboard will indeed work with the 600 - someone who has both please verify. Thanks.
    (my 600 should be here ANY DAY NOW - dang it).
    The Palm Wireless Keyboard is awesome! I'm typing this post from it right now and it works beautifullly! It's extremely responsive and I find no latency or delay. One negative is that I can't quite figure out how to configure the tab button. I can make it move correctly to the next field, but then I don't how to select it. Maybe its something wrong that I'm doing. Also, it's kinda annoying not having the nav pad support on the keyboard which forces you to use the stylus occasionally. In that sense the Treo Portable Keyboard is probably superior, but you can't beat the versitality of the PWK! Finally, the CmdKey function doesn't seem to be working? Hmm... Well anyway, I've only been playing with it for a short time. Hopefully, I'll figure things out later...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Btw...here's a pic of the keyboard!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Does the wireless IR place a significant drain on the device?

And does the keyboard itself have any power?
    jello
    Originally posted by Nisha321
    I know this is probably blasphemy on this board, but does anyone know if it's possible to get the Palm Wireless Keyboard to work with a Sony P800?
    I have the Pocketop and a Nokia 3650. I've tried the beta driver for it, and it works, though it trashes your system.ini file so I wouldn't try it again until they fix it.

The Pocketop feels a little cramped for me. I'm going to try to get a loaner Palm Wireless Keyboard and see if I can code a driver for my 3650. The 3650 and P800 drivers should be very similar I would think.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Palm now has a version 2.2 of the keyboard driver. Anybody know the new bytes to modify? If not, what date is the version 2 driver?
    Originally posted by iatricjb
    Palm now has a version 2.2 of the keyboard driver. Anybody know the new bytes to modify? If not, what date is the version 2 driver?
    Try this:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...kb_driver.html

Version 2.2 driver, Keyboard.prc, use a hex editor.

0x0bba change 0x0400 to 0x0350
    0x1e66 change 0x0400 to 0x0350

Here's what I searched for to find the places to patch. When a new driver comes out, search for these two sets and change the 04 00 to 03 50.

0c ae 04 00 00 00
    26 3c 04 00 00 00
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast