1.    #1  
    Ok, so I've finally discovered a major Treo 600 hardware problem and I believe some people MAY have this problem but MAY not be aware of it.

First off, just thought I'd mention that I have a Treo 600 GSM model unlocked. I live in Malaysia and bought my unit here.

Next, just so that I have everyone on the same page on this issue, please let me explain the problem as clearly as I can.

If you are on a call USING the phone's built in earpiece (this is important to note: your ear must be touching the phone where the earpiece hole is), the person at the other end of the line will hear a distortion, like a constant buzz (may be loud or soft). If a buzz is not heard, then the person at the other end of the line will have trouble hearing you as your voice will sound muffled. In either case, the distortion/buzz and/or muffled sound should be due to the same problem.

Please also be clear on this, you will not hear any distortion on your phone. It is the person at the other end of the line that is hearing the distortion.

First interesting observation: You will NOT have this distortion problem if you use the speaker phone or the wired headset, that is, when your ear is NOT next to the phone where your earpiece hole is located.

Second interesting observation: I have found that if the phone has >50% battery capacity left OR if the phone is plugged in and is being charged, you will NOT get any phone distortion. When the battery meter is at 45% or thereabouts and below, this problem will surface.

If you have not encountered this problem, I would suggest that you test your phone with the battery meter 40-50% charged, then test it <40% charged.

To test whether your phone has this problem, just call yourself using your Treo and leave a voice message. Playback the message and you will know if you have this problem. (BTW, when you call your own number, just remember that you shouldn't need to actually save a voicemail; your telco should allow you to review your message before depositing, and you can use the review function to test.)

Remember the conditions required for this problem to surface:

1. Your ear must be touching/next to/close to the built in earpiece (ie. the hole on the phone must be used to listen. You cannot use speakerphone mode or the wired headset). As soon as you move your ear away from the phone, the distortion will disappear. As soon as you move your ear back next to the phone, the distortion will return.

AND

2. Battery meter must be below 40 or 50% AND you must NOT have your charger plugged in.

I have personally tested 3 different units and they all exhibit the same problem.

Now the official distributor here has seen this problem with 'one or two' other phones, so they say. I have no idea how widespread this problem is and whether it only affects certain batches shipped to certain parts of the world.

If you are from a different country and have this same issue, please mention it in this thread. If it is widepsread, then maybe we should do a poll/count on Treocentral.

To you engineers out there, what are the possible reasons for this unusual behaviour?

Thanks.
    Last edited by cywong; 01/12/2004 at 07:25 AM.
    Unfortunately, the only remedy I've had to lessen the distortion issues per audio is upgrading my firmware to 2.08/2.09. Whether I have 100% or below 50% with/without car charger with/without the headset attachment and/or speakerphone, the distortion problem still remains. I can only speculate that the screen being on while talking has something to do with it. Most GSM phones have wierd buzzing sounds when the screen is on and it goes away when the screen dims out. This is just an observation after 3 Treo 600s that I've returned due to the distortion and/or constant crashing. I'm going to wait till the better version comes out with perhaps a better quality screen and less bugs.
    "What good is a smartphone when it's MORE smart and LESS phone?"
    I also experience the annoying buzz on the other end of my phone calls when the battery is low. I have not checked to see if it is all calls made with the battery below 50% though. I will check as soon as I drain more battery. I will also check if the ear against the phone causes the buzz. I have also upgraded to fw 2.8/2.9 and still the buzz. I will post as soon as I test it, and I invite others to do so as well. Together maybe we can petition handspring for a fix.
  4.    #4  
    Just to add that my firmware has already been upgraded to v2.09, but the problem is still there.
    I got the same problem as well. But in my case it's not related to battery level. It used to occur in some of my calls, but now it happens constantly. It got to be really annoying since last week.

I upgraded to 2.08 but it didn't help. I think it's something in the hardware that can't be fixed by firmware upgrade.

I plan to take it to the shop this weekend. cywong, have you found a way to fix this problem?
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by dregar
    I got the same problem as well. But in my case it's not related to battery level. It used to occur in some of my calls, but now it happens constantly. It got to be really annoying since last week.

I upgraded to 2.08 but it didn't help. I think it's something in the hardware that can't be fixed by firmware upgrade.

I plan to take it to the shop this weekend. cywong, have you found a way to fix this problem?
    Distributor here does not know the cause of the problem. I have had my unit replaced. That's the only way to 'fix' the problem it seems.
    I have the same trouble for weeks,some way to fix it?
    Hmmm thank you for pointing this to me! Incredible! when I heard my own message on my answering machine, I heard a huge overwhelming BUZZ ! I couldn't even hear clearly what I said: "away .......... then ......... close" !

I have an old FW 1.05.
    I 'm on Orange France.

I'm going to try to call away from my computer..

Before I tried this trick I called the technical hotline of Orange France, telling those guys there is an update of the FW available online: the guy was very interested by it and wanted it too!

Hopefully if they try it and they find out it is an efficient way to solve some pb, they will make their own official release!

Let's cross our fingers..

Thanks again !

PS : I first thought the IRDA (always) ON could be the reason of this BUZZ but NOPE !
    Last edited by lamp600; 01/16/2004 at 07:43 PM.
    the buzz does go away for me when I mute the phone. Which makes it kind of worthless phone- LOL. I guess the firmware update is a waste of time- Time to do a return I guess.
    my t600 still have the buzz problem no mater I upgrade the fw. how to fix it?
    Originally posted by asics
    my t600 still have the buzz problem no mater I upgrade the fw. how to fix it?
    I concur with cywong. There's no "cure" for this problem. You need to get your unit replaced. That's what I did and I just got the replacement today. I was told that it was a problem with the mic.

It also looks like the antenna may contribute to the problem (or at least in my case). Try touching the antenna while making a call. The other party will hear the noise even louder.
    A friend had the buzz appear on her phone, I did the firmware upgrade it made no difference. The Handspring repair centre in Norwich UK just replaced the phone (even with the 'illegal' upgrade)
    Geoff
    thx i will call hs cs.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I take it this is a problem with the GSM model only....?