1.    #1  
    Last night I inadvertantly knocked over my glass and the Treo got wet. I immediately picked it up, sponged it dry as best I could and hit the bottom of the unit with my hand to release any fluid that might have went up the docking opening. (hopefully this helped and not hurt, water did come down from the unit that I would not have gotten out otherwise.)

After the spill, first it was really freakin out, keys wouldn't work, the right keys didn't work with the right function then screen flickering. This morning the flickering had stopped and all was back to normal BUT my space key was still stuck from the night before.

Has anyone experienced a stuck key situation, please tell me what happened or what did you do to remedy the situation.

Also, I was able to research the threads from the road and I read that some folks opened up the Treo and towel dried it, but I had no idea how to do this, nor the tools to do it with. I could not find any information on a stuck key as in correcting it.

So what is my best course of action now that it has been a full day and my Treo still isn't working properly. I do have the Lockline insurance, but I don't want to bother with a replacment if I don't have to. Also, as a point of reference, what should one do in the case of a spill with the Treo?

Thanks

P.S. Spent a great weekend in NY! We saw the play "Aida" which was incredible!
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 01/11/2004 at 10:58 PM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Originally posted by GeekyMom
    Last night I inadvertantly knocked over my glass and the Treo got wet. I immediately picked it up, sponged it dry as best I could and hit the bottom of the unit with my hand to release any fluid that might have went up the docking opening. (hopefully this helped and not hurt, water did come down from the unit that I would not have gotten out otherwise.)

After the spill, first it was really freakin out, keys wouldn't work, the right keys didn't work with the right function then screen flickering. This morning the flickering had stopped and all was back to normal BUT my space key was still stuck from the night before.

Has anyone experienced a stuck key situation, please tell me what happened or what did you do to remedy the situation.

Also, I was able to research the threads from the road and I read that some folks opened up the Treo and towel dried it, but I had no idea how to do this, nor the tools to do it with. I could not find any information on a stuck key as in correcting it.

So what is my best course of action now that it has been a full day and my Treo still isn't working properly. I do have the Lockline insurance, but I don't want to bother with a replacment if I don't have to. Also, as a point of reference, what should one do in the case of a spill with the Treo?

Thanks

P.S. Spent a great weekend in NY! We saw the play "Aida" which was incredible!
    all it takes is 1 spilled shot to make those keys stick.

my suggestion, never have liquid around electronics especially if you plan on getting loaded.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 01/12/2004 at 01:24 AM.
    First try compressed air. Might work, doesn't seem likely given it was a liquid spill.

If the key is stuck in the up position, try gently rocking it (alternating on left then right side) to break it loose. You are fortunate that it is the space key.

If the key is stuck in the down position, it is likely necessary to disassemble the treo to the point that you can see the key from the inside and push it loose. Other threads discuss the challenge of opening the unit.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks Preston,

It isn't stuck in one direction or another. So it must be something under the space key itself. I tried to rotate the button back and forth as suggested but it isn't responding.

Someone recommended rubbing acohol to disipate the liquid under the key and I may try that.

Seems like I remember someone mentioning sitting it in distilled water. I researched the threads about opening the unit, but I don't want to void my warranty, nor am I comfortable opening the unit.

I will keep you posted.

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  5.    #5  
    Went to plan B. Called Lockline and my refurb unit will be here in 3 days. I'm hoping the key will fix itself by then. I hate the thought of not using my original.

I had the same thing happent to me, well not exactly, but I left my Treo on my car dashboard for about an hour and when I came back, it collected a thin layer of frost along with my windshield due to the cold weather outside.. It seems that ANY moisture this unit comes in contact with makes the keyboard haywire. Hopefully, this won't be the end result, but what ended up happening was that my alt key was stuck and after trying to loosen it up with canned air and putting a fan on it for 7 hours, unit became absolutely useless and dead. Thank God AT&T Wireless is not hesistant in dishing out replacements when supplies are available. I've never treated a unit so much with care until I got a Treo 600. The build is sturdy but there's got to be a way to make the thing more dust proof and water tight.
    "What good is a smartphone when it's MORE smart and LESS phone?"
  7.    #7  
    Here is the fix that worked for me.

First a very BIG thank you to the folks here at TreoCenetral who keyed in and offered a good and helpful solution to use Alcohol, especially fellow Treo owner "NewTreouser'.

What I did:

I went to Radio Shack to see if they had a recommended fix, well got to talking to dude about phones/the Treo (that is) and he sent me to the drug store for the alcohol, just like I was told to do here on this forum.

I picked up a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol 91%. TURN THE UNIT OFF. First I tried the conservative route: by wetting a Qtip with it and pushing the button but that didn't work. So I decided to do the full Monte, so I got the babies small medicine dropper, filled it with a few drops of alcohol, held the Treo up at an downward angle and dropped half a drop on the top and one half drop on the bottom of the key pushed the key a couple of times and - - hot damn if that didn't do it!

Although my replacement is paid for and coming in the mail, I plan to keep old faithful
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 01/12/2004 at 04:55 PM.

8.    #8  
    After typing a little I noticed the Shift button was not working consistently. Repeated the above steps and now it too works like it should again.

I have a new appreciation for Alcohol now.

P.S. I think we should have a first aid kit for the Treo at home, including 91% Alcohol and a medicine dropper for the one time you let your guard down and the unthinkable happens....splash
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 01/12/2004 at 05:10 PM.

Although my replacement is paid for and coming in the mail, I plan to keep old faithful
    I would call LockLine and tell them that you found your phone or something to that exent. So that you can return the phone that they sent you. They might wonder what is happening if you never use the replacement phone.
    I don't want to rain on your parade here, but you may want to keep the new t600 and send back your old one.

The problem is that water damage can cause immediate damage as well as problems that won't show up for some time. I've seen water damaged phones continue to work for a few or several months, then cease to get a signal, operate sporadically, etc. It's all from water damage and if you got enough of it and there is a strip on the inside of the phone, you've already lost your warranty on the phone. To make matters worse, lockline may only allow for one replacement unit per year (due to the price of the Treo -their limit is around $500 per year.)

Lastly you will have a new warranty on the T600 they sent out to ya, and can take it to a Sprint store should you have any problems that are covered by warranty.

Bottom line I guess is whether or not Sprint will be able to tell your current phone has water damage. If there is a strip on the inside or corrosion on the ports, they won't cover you in the future.

The choice is yours -I am glad to hear you got it working again...
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by Tribalenvy
    I don't want to rain on your parade here, but you may want to keep the new t600 and send back your old one.
    LOL, Well let's not take the "Happy" out of "New Year" too. No seriously, good points, I had already decided to give my present Treo some time to see what's up with it after things settle down some.

Thanks for the wake up call though. I don't know what's gonna happen with it, I do know that the deal with Lockline is irreversible so I may not be able to return the phone if I wanted to. The funny thing is you can't call them and anomously ask a question cuz they want your name, telephone # before they procede. So we will see how things unfold.

I learned that lesson years ago...sometimes it takes a bit of alcohol to ease the sticking buttons.
  13.    #13  
    No body said that they turned off the phone when you call Lockline for replacement because they send out a ready phone. -LOL

I thought I could just call when I was ready to activate it like a regular new phone.

Oh well, now I know what they REALLY meant when they said it was irreversible. But I called Sprint and they turned it back on for me, gotta wait for up to an hour or so tho.

P.S. I think we should have a first aid kit... at home, including 91% Alcohol...

Alcohol dependency is an illness. Get the help you need before it's too late.
    You may be able to get those questions answered from lockline by calling and following the prompts as if you were a new customer trying to sign up. That is the only way I can think of.
  16.    #16  
    I may have to give them a ring. I just got the replacement today! Surprisingly, I was dissappointed, I thought it was my Betty Boop cell phone carrier w/shoulder strap I won on Ebay. Now I feel a little pressure as to what to do..... Oh well.
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 01/13/2004 at 04:24 PM.

Geekymom, congrats on finding a solution to your problem! As an aside, unless you report it as stolen, doesn't Lockline require you to send in the old phone when you get the replacement? Also, I would have first gone to a local Sprint Store and asked them if they would replace the Treo under manufacturer's warranty. I found that some reps can be very lenient as far as the damages they will honor...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions