Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was reading that you can't do instant messaging with Sprint on the Treo 600. Is this true?
    Last edited by Varangian; 01/11/2004 at 06:35 PM.
    You will be able to when Sprint launches SMS. It's been right around the corner for a few months now.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    You can sms with treo600sms

http://pdaapps.com/Treo600SMS/
    Devices Owned:
    Handspring 600 (retired), Treo 650 x2 (retired), Centro x2 (offline usage), Palm Pre x2, HTC EVO

Apps I can't live without on my Pre:
    Dr. Podder, Music (Remix) and JogStats
    Originally posted by Sky Nazi
    You can sms with treo600sms

http://pdaapps.com/Treo600SMS/
    Been using Treo600SMS for a few weeks and it works fantastic...I recommend it to all...

"Check the vector Victor"
    Technology Rules!
    LauncherX
    MyToday
    Fileman
    BackupMan
    Great Combo!
    2 questions/concerns I have with this...

1) I have to enter my sprintpcs.com username and password into the application. Where does it go from there? How do we know it will not go somewhere OTHER THAN sprint?

2) Is this REAL sms, or just a workaround that makes nifty use of sprint email?

also one extra generic SMS question...
    3) If I have someones phone number and I'm not sure that's it's a mobile number, what happens if I send an SMS message to it? Is there any "bounceback" if the SMS message cannot be delivered in this case?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by rwilson290
    A lot of good questions wilson, but I doubt you'll find many answers here. Generally speaking it seems people who own treo's are like apple/amiga users... a lot of hype and b.s. but very little in the means of information or help.

So anyway Sprint is screwing around with SMS on the treo 600 and delaying firmware/software updates in the process.

The SMS software suggested here is crap (try it if you don't believe me) and your concerns are valid. typing this reply on my treo so it's about to cut me off! later
    Originally posted by gyrfalcon
    So anyway Sprint is screwing around with SMS on the treo 600 and delaying firmware/software updates in the process.
    haven't tried the treo600sms software yet, I'd rather hold out for the real thing... someone over at sprintusers.com claims to have added unlimited sms to his plan, so hopefully it's coming soon...
    -- berto

A lot of good questions wilson, but I doubt you'll find many answers here. Generally speaking it seems people who own treo's are like apple/amiga users... a lot of hype and b.s. but very little in the means of information or help.

The SMS software suggested here is crap (try it if you don't believe me) and your concerns are valid. typing this reply on my treo so it's about to cut me off! later
    There are many answers here. Why don't you grow up, and keep your childish generalizations to yourself !

1) I have to enter my sprintpcs.com username and password into the application. Where does it go from there? How do we know it will not go somewhere OTHER THAN sprint?

3) If I have someones phone number and I'm not sure that's it's a mobile number, what happens if I send an SMS message to it? Is there any "bounceback" if the SMS message cannot be delivered in this case?

Thanks.

When in doubt why not contact the source ?

info@pdaapps.com

What are you blathering about? The Treo600SMS product works flawlessly. I've been using it since 2 days after I received my Treo (2 months ago) and it works great.

Have you even tried the program? I doubt it. If you did you wouldn't be *****ing!

Josh
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    What a tool!
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Here are some answers which I believe are correct:

From there it goes to the PDAapps server, which routes it to Sprint's server where it logs in & sends the short mail message. As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason not to trust PDAaaps, they have great products and haven't caused any problems.

This is NOT real SMS. This is simply a workaround that converts what you are typing into Sprint's "Short Mail". True SMS does not require a connection to the internet, however, Treo600SMS does because it uses Sprint's Short Mail service (SMS type text messages).

I do not believe there is a "bounceback" that lets you know the SMS did not go through. I am not certain though. Emailing PDAaaps about this would let you know if there is a "bounceback" with their software, but when true SMS comes out, it'll be a completely different story.
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
    I had similar concerns about PdaApps, but I must say that both the apps I purchased have been very good. Verichat and Treo600SMS. The reason for the craziness with the log in with Treo600SMS is due to the fact that PdaApps runs a proxy server that relays both IM and SMS. This seems to work flawlessly for me. Once installed, you use the SMS icon on your T600 and are able to use your contact list to retrieve cell #'s. Inbound looks just like the native SMS from Handspring.

I have been very pleased with it.

To answer the costing issue, I am on a sprint Unlim data plan so the text message volume is not a concern.

Only downside has been problems SMS to and from Cingular subscribers...
    Gene
    Originally posted by: dlbrummels, JoshFink, Minsc
    There are many answers here. Why don't you grow up, and keep your childish generalizations to yourself !...What are you blathering about? The Treo600SMS product works flawlessly. I've been using it since 2 days after I received my Treo (2 months ago) and it works great...What a tool!
    Originally posted by DSDxp
    This is NOT real SMS. This is simply a workaround that converts what you are typing into Sprint's "Short Mail". True SMS does not require a connection to the internet, however, Treo600SMS does because it uses Sprint's Short Mail service (SMS type text messages).
    Seems DSDxp was the only one to get it right! Simple fact here is that the Sprint Treo600 does NOT support MO-SMS. The Treo600SMS software is Bogus and just uses the web interface at:

http://messaging.sprintpcs.com/sml/guestCompose.do

To send your so called SMS messages.

If you've ever recieved picture mail notifications via the SMS application you might actually understand what SMS is. Shortmail capabilities via the Treo600SMS application do not equal SMS.

For further details see: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...5&pagenumber=3
    Why do you care if it uses the webmail interface or not? Simple fact is that for 99% of SMS messages it works great and is a great workaround till Spring gets around to implementing SMS truly.

If you don't want to use it, don't! I use it multiple times daily and it works flawlessly for all my needs!

I guess I have no desire to get Picture Mail so it's not a big deal to me.

Josh
    I use Treo600SMS and Verichat. I started using Verichat and Treo300SMS when I got my first Treo. They are outstanding products and I've been very pleased with the functionality that they have provided me.

My son, with whom I do most of my SMS messaging, has a Virgin Mobile phone. VM uses the Sprint network, and his SMS works flawlessly. I can't imagine that true SMS is too far away for us, but until then I'll continue to use Treo600SMS.
    The technician at my local Sprint store (who, by the way, seems much more intelligent and informed than some of the Sprint reps I've heard stories about) told me last week that the scheduled roll out date for true SMS is February 1st. He said it could be a day or two earlier or later, but that testing was underway and that it was working well. He demo'd it for me on a unit in the store and it indeed worked as it should.

This matches up with info I've seen in other places, so it appears that this issue may be solved very soon.

As for me, I've found that the Short Mail option works pretty well in the mean time, it's just a bit cumbersome and not as quick as SMS will be. I have a friend who uses TREOSMS like some of the other folks in here and he's pleased with it.

Either way, you CAN do SMS from your Sprint phone, and hopefully, it'll get a lot easier soon.
    Scott
    Originally posted by JoshFink
    Why do you care if it uses the webmail interface or not? Simple fact is that for 99% of SMS messages it works great and is a great workaround till Spring gets around to implementing SMS truly...Josh
    All things considered, you still need to pay for this solution which makes it very pathetic.

It may also cease to function when Sprint rolls out SMS and Shortmail disapears... in which case, I'll get the pleasure of watching every Treo600SMS user whine and complain.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Seems DSDxp was the only one to get it right! Simple fact here is that the Sprint Treo600 does NOT support MO-SMS. The Treo600SMS software is Bogus and just uses the web interface at:
    No, the Sprint Treo600 DOES support MO-SMS, it's just that Sprint doesn't (yet) support it. That's the reason one of the posters here offered Treo600SMS as an interim solution. A helpful post, I might add.

Generally speaking it seems people who own treo's are like apple/amiga users... a lot of hype and b.s. but very little in the means of information or help.
    "Hello pot, yes this is the kettle calling...."

All things considered, you still need to pay for this solution which makes it very pathetic.

It may also cease to function when Sprint rolls out SMS and Shortmail disapears... in which case, I'll get the pleasure of watching every Treo600SMS user whine and complain.
    Why would I whine and complain about it? It costs what? $20? Really, if it makes my life easier I'll pay the $20 and eat a lesser dinner one night. Actually, I'll pay the $20 (I did) and be happy with a purchase that is well worht it. Shoot, I paid $29.99 for Trivial Pursuit on the Treo. Which one do you think is more useful.

If you can pay $399+ for the phone you can afford the $20 for convenience. You obviously don't use the SMS service (or pseudo-SMS) otherwise you would see what a time save it is.

Josh
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast