Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by JoshFink

Why would I whine and complain about it? It costs what? $20? Really, if it makes my life easier I'll pay the $20 and eat a lesser dinner one night. Actually, I'll pay the $20 (I did) and be happy with a purchase that is well worht it. Shoot, I paid $29.99 for Trivial Pursuit on the Treo. Which one do you think is more useful.

If you can pay $399+ for the phone you can afford the $20 for convenience. You obviously don't use the SMS service (or pseudo-SMS) otherwise you would see what a time save it is.

Josh
    It seems to me the only person in this thread whinning and complaining is gyrfalcon.
    The point of Treo600SMS is that it's for people who don't whine. Rather than whining about something they don't have, or having to pay $20, the people who purchase this product have obtained a solution and put this topic behind them. If a better solution comes along, I'm sure you'll find that we'll adopt that one and move on without whining.
    Something else to consider when using Treo600sms. At this time, you can enter a phone number OR an email address in the "to" field. So... if you wish to send soneone a sentence or two to an email address ....you can do that! WHen SPrint roles out their SMS, I don't think that will be possible anymore. But if you continue using Treo600sms, that's an added feature. It's much easier for me to send a quick email to someone using the SMS interface than having to create an email with "POP". And when someone responds to the SMS" email that you sent...it comes back in the SMS interface...straight to your phone. No need to download or "push" from your email account. SInce most of us will get SMS from Srint free (T600 owners), there's no loss in keeping Treo600sms.
    Just my humble opinion.

IGO

PS About the "whiners"....Who is still waiting for SPrint.....and who is enjoying virtual SMS right now? I'v been enjoying my virtual SMS since I first bought my Treo 300.....about a year!!!
    Last edited by IGoDwnTwn34; 01/13/2004 at 06:00 AM.
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    To Quote another Treo User:

Originally posted by RWerksman
    I really dislike Treo600SMS.

Why?

1. It's a "patch job" I shouldn;t have to hop onto VISION to send an SMS.

2. Once connected to VISION, it doesnt DISCONNECT!

3. I should(n't) have to pay for something GSM customers get for free. (more or less free...)
    Maybe I'll download Handsprings sample SMS application, hack it to send via my own proxy service. Then I can sell it as: Gyrf-Treo600SMS only $15.99 and another $3 if you want smiley support... pffft..whatever
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I really dislike Treo600SMS. Why?

3. I should(n't) have to pay for something GSM customers get for free. (more or less free...)
    Then why in the world did this guy choose Sprint?? Number portability is here dude, either switch carriers or quit whining.
    Originally posted by IGoDwnTwn34
    Something else to consider when using Treo600sms. At this time, you can enter a phone number OR an email address in the "to" field. So... if you wish to send soneone a sentence or two to an email address ....you can do that! WHen SPrint roles out their SMS, I don't think that will be possible anymore. But if you continue using Treo600sms, that's an added feature. It's much easier for me to send a quick email to someone using the SMS interface than having to create an email with "POP". And when someone responds to the SMS" email that you sent...it comes back in the SMS interface...straight to your phone. No need to download or "push" from your email account. SInce most of us will get SMS from Srint free (T600 owners), there's no loss in keeping Treo600sms.
    Just my humble opinion.

IGO

PS About the "whiners"....Who is still waiting for SPrint.....and who is enjoying virtual SMS right now? I'v been enjoying my virtual SMS since I first bought my Treo 300.....about a year!!!
    I think you will still be able to do this with the new SMS rollout. At least you can do it on Verizon's SMS.
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by RWerksman
    I really dislike Treo600SMS.

Why?

Isn't that the point to having Vision ? Always on connection ? receiving emails, instant messages, sms ? How is that going to happen without a persistant connection ?

So, you would you rather have your phone connect to another service provider and or pay for each message sent and per Meg of data downloaded ?

With Vision, unlimited downloads, unlimited messages, your have to wait for a few things, and suffer the annoyances, but that $20 saved would be gone in an instant with some of the other providers !
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    That gyrfalcon guy is a total troll. Here's the deal:

1. I don't care whether Sprint technically supports "true" SMS or not. The bottom line is, I've been running Treoo300SMS and then Treo600SMS for a loooong time, and it's always worked perfectly. Many of my friends and associates are on other providers. No problems. I have SMS on my Treo 600.

2. Verichat is an excellent unified instant messaging client. I use it regularly to chat with MSN, Yahoo, and AOL users. It works great. Been using that since the days of my Treo 300 as well.

I don't work for Handspring (PalmOne), Sprint, or PDAApps. I just use what works. Both of these products work great.

To reiterate: I have flawless SMS and instant messaging on my Treo 600. Oh yeah, and I have a keyboard, unlike most of the rest of the world with their little crippled phone pad typing. HAHAHAHAHAHA....
    Using a regular cell phone to type messages.......YUK. Takes too long in my humble opinion. That's what attracted me to my old Treo 300. The ability to actually respond using a key pad. No need to search the number pad to make a reply or send a message.

All my friends think it's so cool (using my Treo600 ) that I can respond quickly using the keypad. Despite the size of the keys, my speed is even better than it was using the Treo 300. GO figure!

Anyway, PDAAPPS is a great company and a very responsive one. Anytime I had a question, I simply sent an email and usually about 2 hours I get a reply. Most times it's been faster than that!!

TO repeat what Skidoo said:

I HAVE SMS ON MY TREO 600 !!!
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    I think it is BS that Sprint released the phone with a SMS app that doesnt do anything. And since PDApps has made a way to actually use SMS on Sprint T600 why has it taken Sprint so long/why cant Sprint give me a credit of 20 bucks for 600sms .
    It sucks that Sprint is taking their sweet time, but the 20 bucks for 600sms was only worth it maybe 2 months ago, but even then they were promising sms availability in a few weeks. To me, its more like false advertising, like how the ebay web site is displayed on the T600 pictured on the box it came in from Sprint or how N&W minutes start @7 now but really it costs you 5 bucks a month.
    Shortmail really sucks, but I can wait while Sprint keeps giving me free stuff to hold me over, just as long as Sprint's sms does that email thingy you were talking about and its FREE cuz it should be free....I made them put a note in my file to not charge me for SMS if they end up announcing there is a fee.
    All noobs click here
    yeah and Sprint SMS is probably gonna suck anyway. You know the dialog you get when your net connection is busy asking you if you want to cancel or redial? Yeah, that is most likely the BS that you will run into with Sprints SMS. Meaning, you can't send a SMS while on the phone, but you can recieve one. They really need to fix their network and make it like GPRS....I dont know if and when that will ever happen tho, but it would be awfully nice.
    All noobs click here
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    "...make it like GPRS..." What's that? Slower? And less reliable? No thanks. Frequently out of the country? GPRS all the way. Domestic? CDMA smokes GPRS, hands down.
    Of course.........but I mean like GPRS in the sense that you can surf/email/sms while on the phone.........I miss lots of phone calls cuz chatter is doing something or cuz vision is trying to make a connection for some unknown or unnecessary reason. I think its lame for the network to be setup like this. It will probably be changed sometime but for now I think it sucks but still better than GPRS for obvious reasons.
    All noobs click here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12