1.    #1  
    I've had eGrips on my Treo for several weeks. I've noticed the top of one of the ones on the sides of the Treo are peeling away, losing their sticky-ness.

Can you recommend the right adhesive to "repair" them? No superglue or epoxy, please!

Thanks,
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Originally posted by BillPetro
    I've had eGrips on my Treo for several weeks. I've noticed the top of one of the ones on the sides of the Treo are peeling away, losing their sticky-ness.

Can you recommend the right adhesive to "repair" them? No superglue or epoxy, please!

Thanks,
    Me, too. I've spoken to them about this. Aftyer going back and forth a few times with emails and actually sending them the offending e-grip strip, the end result was that e-grips do need to changed from time to time, particularly the side e-grips. The big one on the back seems more or less permanent on mine, but the side ones are fragile. They sent me a free replacement set after they examined the strip I sent (small back piece). You might want to request one.
    Just a heads up on the egrips peeling. All adhesives oxidize with contact to air. as the adhesive oxidizes along the lable edge it loses its its flexibility. With the loss of flexibility comes the tendency to peel off the surface. Most lable makers address this by using the largest radius possible in the design of the lable. as the radius gets smaller the the tendency to pick and peel is exacerbated. There is no prevention of this and I suspect all the side panels will peel off.

Regards,

Bill...
    Originally posted by Bill Mixon
    Just a heads up on the egrips peeling. All adhesives oxidize with contact to air. as the adhesive oxidizes along the lable edge it loses its its flexibility. With the loss of flexibility comes the tendency to peel off the surface. Most lable makers address this by using the largest radius possible in the design of the lable. as the radius gets smaller the the tendency to pick and peel is exacerbated. There is no prevention of this and I suspect all the side panels will peel off.

Regards,

Bill...
    That was super-duper, extra informative and thus I must trully express how much that really blowz! I bought these suckers and stuck 'em on two days ago. The side strips are already begining to peel at the edges.
    Originally posted by skillllllz

That was super-duper, extra informative and thus I must trully express how much that really blowz! I bought these suckers and stuck 'em on two days ago. The side strips are already begining to peel at the edges.
    Definitely send them an email. I'm sure they will send you another set no charge.
    I met the egrips guy at CES on Friday. Nice guy. He was very interested in looking at my Treo with the egrips attached - I've had mine on for over a month and no peeling yet - look pretty much like new. He and I believe a lot depends on how you carry the treo with the egrips attached - mine is in the Handspring side case - slides in and out with just the right amount of friction and does not rub at all on the sides, just a little on the back. If you're inserting and removing the phone from a "vertical" case that rubs the sides, that will likely create some wear/peeling. Ditto if you're carrying it loose in your pocket or a bag. I'm not saying these are "bad behavior" - just that the egrips probably won't last as long that way.

Paul
    Mine peeled off too, after about 3 weeks. I am using the handspring belt case so it is probably the cause. I decided to just pull off the 2 sides, and leave the back on. Still love them, but wish the sides stuck better.
    Jim@treo1.com
    <a href="http://treo1.com">
    treo1.com
    One Stop, plain and simple
    <a href="http://treo1.com/index650.htm"> Visit our new Treo650 optimized site!!</a>
    <a href="http://palmoscentral.com"> Visit our new website palmOSCentral.com!</a>
    After one side started peeling, I just pulled them both off.. the one on the back is holding up well, even after <acK> a transfer to a new treo (my 3rd) there is a small spot where it is not sticky... so... back to the original question.. anything sticky that can hold w/o super glue?
    -Treo 600 on Sprint
    Originally posted by nmotion
    After one side started peeling, I just pulled them both off.. the one on the back is holding up well, even after <acK> a transfer to a new treo (my 3rd) there is a small spot where it is not sticky... so... back to the original question.. anything sticky that can hold w/o super glue?
    The problem is that all glues and adhesives contain solvents of one kind of another, many of which would probably hurt the Treo's finish. Somehow you would have to experiment to see if the finish is unharmed. Rubber cement comes to mind as a possibility as it dries to an elastic latex. No idea if the solvents will hurt the finish.
    1 week and my sides are peeling. Yes I use a verticle case, might try the handspring sliding case.

DM
    Mine peeled off in 2 weeks. The ones on the back have stayed on no problem.

I believe that the side ones are peeling off prematurely because of the way the Treoo 600 is constructed on the sides. On the Sprint version, the silver colored sliver that goes all the way down on both sides has a small gap beween it and the rest of the case. Couple that gap with the slight curvature of the phone on the sides and it is easy to see how the side egrips 'pull away' slightly on the sides all the way down. The adhesive is only sticking around on the silver strip but not the grey part of the case. If the egrips were slightly wider, they may overcome the gap and stick to the grey part of the case better preventing anything from snagging the egrips off.
    Originally posted by sbpooch

....If the egrips were slightly wider, they may overcome the gap and stick to the grey part of the case better preventing anything from snagging the egrips off.

I too realized after another close examination that a wider version of the side strips would be an ideal solution to the issue. Once I contact egrips.com I am going to make the suggestion that they look into that as a solution. I hope everyone who has this problem also contacts them and provides similar input for a fix.
    I've had mine on for a couple of months and they haven't peeled at all. I'm a pants pocket holster guy so they don't get a lot of tight squeezes in a holster so maybe that's the secret of my success. Who knows??
    <strong>Patrick</strong><br>Palm Pilot Professional -> Palm IIIc -> Samsung i300 (Sprint) -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Cingular) -> Treo 750 (Cingular)
  14.    #15  
    I keep my egrips-clad Treo 600 in my front pants pocket as well. When pull out the Treo, I'm hitting the top edge of the egrips.

Regards,
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Do you guys all have the dimpled version of eGrips? I noticed that they stopped making the non-dimpled version.
    Treo 600 GSM
    just perusing this post and FWIW, I use automotive silicone adhesives from either 3m or loctite to hold stuff down. there are several grades from 'temporary" to "ain't-no-way-you're-ever-taking-this-off-without-breaking-it" grade. Never used these grips, but just thought I'd thro in my 2 cents worth.