1.    #1  
    I'm using my Treo on the Sprint network. I want to take pictures and send them as attachments with Snappermail.

The problem is that when I take pictures with the Treo, they are saved in a .pbmp format, which can't be read by the recipient of my email.

I've done numerous searches, and several different people have recommended to set the default location for the pictures taken to the SD card. They state that if you set the default save location of the camera to the SD card, then the pictures are saved in .jpeg format.

But this is not the case for me. I open the camera app, and configure the app to save pictures to "Card". But when I take the picture, it is saved to a folder on the card in the /DCIM/TREO_TN/DCIM directory, and it is saved in a .pbmp format NOT jpeg format.

Are pictures saved in the jpeg format automatically for the GSM version of the Treo only (ie, the Cingular/T-Mobile versions)?

Is the CDMA version of the Treo (ie, Sprint version) stuck with .pbmp format for pix only, rather than jpeg?

Help!
    There are a gajillion image converters available - e.g., see TUCOWS:

-- http://www.tucows.com/grap95_default.html

Irfan View is one I've used - there are more.

("PBMP" is probably the same as "PBM" but don't hold me to it)
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Transfer your pictures to an sd memory card and then snapper will be able to attatch them easily.

Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
  4.    #4  
    I also use Irfanview...but I want to be able to snap a pic & send it all from my Treo, without having to make a trip home to my desktop for image conversion.

also, as I tried to make clear above, I already do transfer my pix to SD card. But the pics are saved in .pbmp format which is non-standard, and therefore my email recipients cannot view them.

I want to be able to save photos in .jpeg format, qhich I can then email via Snapper attachment...and do this directly from my Treo.

Anyone else have any ideas?
    When you transfer the pics to the card (not the back-up, but saving the pics to the card) they should appear on the card in the "DCIM" folder (in addition to the pbmp's in the TREO_TN folder) as jpg's. You can then send them out via SnapperMail; no muss, no fuss.

I'm on the Sprint Network, so I'm not sure what the problem could be with pics not showing up in the DCIM folder.
    Last edited by Bujin; 01/11/2004 at 10:33 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Hmmm...

Now all of the sudden my photos are showing up as jpegs in the DCIM directory on the SD card!!

I wonder what the heck I did to fix it?
    Originally posted by thegasguru

The problem is that when I take pictures with the Treo, they are saved in a .pbmp format, which can't be read by the recipient of my email.
    The pbmp files are uncompressed, cached versions of the thumbnail bitmaps (40x30). They allow the camera app (and any other app using the imaging library) to render pictures from the SD card more quickly. Without them, scrolling through the thumbnail list would be painfully slow.

Pretend these files don't exist. Ignore that man behind the curtain. The real pictures are JPEGs in the /dcim folder.

H
    How do you save pictures to the card? When I am in the Camera program, the only Menu selections are Preferences, Tips, and About. The Preferences selection has no option to save to card.

Also, how can I view a picture I have saved on the card? I put a picture on the card using a standard card reader but I cannot see it using the Card app or using the Camera app.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Treashz
    How do you save pictures to the card? When I am in the Camera program, the only Menu selections are Preferences, Tips, and About. The Preferences selection has no option to save to card.

Also, how can I view a picture I have saved on the card? I put a picture on the card using a standard card reader but I cannot see it using the Card app or using the Camera app.

Thanks
    You need to select an image and then select menu>picture>move>card. Also the builtin Treo Picture app will not read images dircetly loaded to the card. Like bigH explained they must have corresponding pbmp mirrors for the Treo pic apps to see them. The only way to do this is to transfer the imaged via hotsync using the Treo Pictures conduit on your desktop. Simply drop the images in the transfer folder and then move the images to the card on the Treo and you will be able to see them. However, I think this is a real PITA procedure just so you can use the crappy Treo Picture app. IMO, just get Resco Viewer which is probably the best image viewer for PalmOS and you'll be able to view images on your card with no problems...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by bigH

The pbmp files are uncompressed, cached versions of the thumbnail bitmaps (40x30). They allow the camera app (and any other app using the imaging library) to render pictures from the SD card more quickly. Without them, scrolling through the thumbnail list would be painfully slow.

Pretend these files don't exist. Ignore that man behind the curtain. The real pictures are JPEGs in the /dcim folder.

H
    bigH, thanks for the mini-synopsis. However, do you know of any app that can create pbmp files of images NOT taken by the Treo camera? I ask this b/c it would then be possible to have the Treo camera app to access images on the card not taken by the Treo itself! That would be a HUGE feature imo b/c you could then share pics via treo picture share of any image and not just those taken by the Treo itself! I would love to be able to move any image into the Treo Picture library...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

However, do you know of any app that can create pbmp files of images NOT taken by the Treo camera?
    No, but that isn't important. The treo can read jpegs from any sd card, as long as they are in the /dcim folder. The pbmps don't have to exist beforehand. They can be created on the fly.

H

No, but that isn't important. The treo can read jpegs from any sd card, as long as they are in the /dcim folder. The pbmps don't have to exist beforehand. They can be created on the fly.

H
    Yup, but the Treo Picutre app can't read them unless the have pbmps and thus you cannot use the Treo picture share to send images not taken by the Treo camera. That was why I was asking. I already know you can use various other image viewers to view images in the /DCIM folder, I was just wondering if there was an app to create pbmp images so the Treo Picture app can access them as well. Resco can move jpg's from the card to ram and covnert them pdb's and vice versa, but it cannot move images on the card into the treo picture folder in ram. I already emailed Resco to inquire if they planned to integrate such a feature in the future but they declined saying it would be to "risky" to do (I don't know why). In any case the whole point of why I want to do this is to be able to take an image with a a separate digicam, save it on a SD card, pop that card into my Treo, and then use the builtin Treo Picutre share feature to send the pic. I know you can send the pic as an email attachment, but I would like a way to do this via the Picutre mail service w/o having to first sync it via my desktop Treo pic transfer conduit. Doing so directly from the card would be sooo much better imo...

Yup, but the Treo Picutre app can't read them unless the have pbmps and thus you cannot use the Treo picture share to send images not taken by the Treo camera.
    This isn't true. The treo picture app can read (ie display) jpegs from the SD card without the pbmp's being there.

The pbmps have nothing to do with the inability to send jpegs from the sd card. That is just an internal limitation. Creating pbmps doesn't change this.

If you have pictures on an SD card that can't be displayed by the treo picture app, then it is for some other reason. Not the pbmps.

H

In any case the whole point of why I want to do this is to be able to take an image with a a separate digicam, save it on a SD card, pop that card into my Treo, and then use the builtin Treo Picutre share feature to send the pic
    The treo software just can't do this directly. It is unrelated to the lack of a pbmp. If you want to share an image from the sd card, you need to copy it to ram first with the treo picture app.

I understand this is a painful, extra step.

H

This isn't true. The treo picture app can read (ie display) jpegs from the SD card without the pbmp's being there.

The pbmps have nothing to do with the inability to send jpegs from the sd card. That is just an internal limitation. Creating pbmps doesn't change this.

If you have pictures on an SD card that can't be displayed by the treo picture app, then it is for some other reason. Not the pbmps.

H
    Ahh...thanks for the clarification bigH. So assuming the Treo Picture app does not require the pbmp files to view images from the card, then what exactly is the limitation that prevents the Picture app from viewing other images on the card? If other image viewers have this capability, then why does the Treo Picture app have this limitation? My conspiratorial side makes me think Sprint purposefully did this to prevent usage of Picture share? Hope not... Anyway, I hope some developer out there will offer a fix for this solution...hmmm maybe I should start another thread specifically about this huh?
    Last edited by Gaurav; 01/29/2004 at 07:44 PM.

The treo software just can't do this directly. It is unrelated to the lack of a pbmp. If you want to share an image from the sd card, you need to copy it to ram first with the treo picture app.

I understand this is a painful, extra step.

H
    Yep...it's a real PITA. The main reason I want this feature is b/c I often do not have access to my desktop. Heck, I haven't had a chance to sync my Treo in weeks! Thus the ability to bypass a computer entirely would be a very welcome solution indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by bigH

H
    When I put my SD card in my PC card reader (WinXP) and then try and open the JPEGs in any app... I can't. I've tried to open these JPEGs in Photoshop 7, Paint, IE, etc. They all say "can't open" or open as corrupt images. However, if I put the card back in my Treo the images look fine in any JPEG viewer.

I've also tried this. On the computer put a JPEG on the card in the /dcim folder. Any JPEG viewer on my Treo can view it. If i move the image to the internal memory and then back to the SD card, and then try and view the SD card on my computer, I get the same "un-openable" jpeg image.

What am I doing wrong?? Has anyone else seen this? thanks

--mo