1.    #1  
    This is so amazing - that there is something like TreoCentral! Thanks in advance to anyone who might answer my question.
    I love my Treo 600. However, I am very into customizing (pic caller ID) and displaying pictures on my phone. I've had other camera phones in the past and this is by FAR the worst. Quality wise. Which is fineSo, I want to take pics with my canon digital and then somehow get them to my Treo. I have a Mac.
    IS this Possible?Expansion card or something? Im new to really learning about my gadgets...
    THANK YOU!
    Adam
    ...the best way to do it is send yourself an email with a /jpg attached.

-CK
    I took the SD card out of our HP 2 megapixel camera and put it into my treo, and the 600 saw the pictures in the photos app. The treo then gives you the option to downsize the images when you move them to the treo, as the files are 1 - 2 megs each before downsizing.

Of course I'm assuming your camera uses SD cards.

It works slick!

Cluemeister
    I used a small USB memory card reader (purchased for about $15) to move some large/hi-res JPEG's from my Mac (wrote them to my Treo's SD card) over to the Treo (just inserted the SD card back into the Treo after writing the photos to it).

I thought this would work, but the T600's standard "pictures" (photo taking/viewing) app show's the new JPEG files as squares with a jagged line down the middle - as if they are "broken". Anyway it can't seem to read the new files, or determine the file format. The filenames are listed like this:

._DSC00109
    1/4/04 4:48 pm 56k

I tried manually editing out the "." and then the "_" on the front of the filename; adding a .JPG extension, etc. -- no results on viewing it though.

so it can see the file size, date, and time. Maybe the file naming on the Mac is somehow wrong? It doesn't seem to be picking up the .JPG extension... the extender it's showing is the file name.

The squares (icons) it's showing are the image of a sunset - blue and red with a little sun. So I suspect it knows they are JPEG photos; and that something else is wrong. Hmm

I may try another photo app. Anyway, other ideas for debugging this one would be appreciated!
    Last edited by sbell22; 01/11/2004 at 10:47 AM.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    If you drag jpegs onto hotsync manager, it will automatically save them to a folder in your SD card called DCIM. Then install the free program JpegView (find at freewarepalm I think), and launch it, then click the open button and click on DCIM to open the folder of pictures you just imported. Be careful, if you click on any other folder than the DCIM folder it will cause a soft reset. But its free, and it works, resizes almost any size jpeg to fit the screen.

Good luck!
    Originally posted by sbell22
    <snip>
    Anyway it can't seem to read the new files, or determine the file format. The filenames are listed like this:

._DSC00109
    1/4/04 4:48 pm 56k

I tried manually editing out the "." and then the "_" on the front of the filename; adding a .JPG extension, etc. -- no results on viewing it though.
    The Mac file system supports files with both a data and a resource fork. When the finder transfers a file to an SD card, which is formatted in the DOS file system, which only supports a single forked file, it breaks the file into two parts. The part that starts with ._ is the resource fork. If you were to use the finder to copy the file back to the Mac from the SD card, it would put the two parts back together.

JPEGs don't need the resource fork part to work. You can delete the part with the ._ prefix and the part without should work fine. You don't mention seeing the part without the ._ prefix though...

Bill S
    Thanks a lot guys, very helpful. I didn't know Mac files worked that way. I'll get JPEGview and report back.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)