1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,

I have a semi-complicated question to ask of you...

I have a Sprint Treo 600 and a standard POP3 e-mail account. I would like to be notified on my Treo when I get a new message.

At first, I used to set my e-mail account to also forward messages to (mynumber)@messaging.sprintpcs.com. The benefit was I would get notified when I got a new message; however, the caveat was if I was to receive an attachment the person who sent me the message would get an "Undeliverable" message bounced back by Sprint. So even though I actually did get the message at my e-mail account, Sprint would tell the person that it was undeliverable because it obviously couldn't be delivered to my Treo. Another bad part about this is the sender would then know my cell phone number.

Then, I would set my e-mail account to forward messages to (my vision username)@sprintpcs.com. On sprintpcs.com I would set my Sprint e-mail to notify me on my cell phone when new messages arrived. This was great for a while, but Sprint's webmail is very unreliable I've come to notice and now, occasionally, when someone sends me an e-mail (regardless of it is has an attachment or not), they would get a message back from Sprint saying (my vision username)@sprintpcs.com is not a known mailbox. Again, I would still get the message at my regular e-mail address.

So now, I gave up on those options and would like to know any way anyone has found to only "notify" me of new mail.

Perhaps a service that:
    - allows you to forward upto XXX characters to you.
    - a service that strips attachments before forwarding.
    - a service that specifically allows you to forward to mobile phones.

Also, preferably a cheap or free service. I can't justify spending $5 a month for Gopherking just to have this feature. (While I've already tried Gopherking, that's the only feature it has that is useful to me. I can do everything else on my Treo). Also, I know Snappermail has auto-fetch; but I'd rather not do anything like that. Thanks in advance!

-M-
    Tons has been written on TreoCentral about e-mail solutions. You do some searching. Start by doing a search on Chatter. Personally I recommend Snappermail until one Blackberry is released later this year.
  3.    #3  
    bump.
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
  4.    #4  
    bump.
    If you really want "instant" notification, you should consider using IMAP for email and Chatter as a client. It's a wonderful solution for mobile users, and there are a number of excellent hosts that provide IMAP services for small $. I recommend www.fastmail.fm (it's what I use myself).

Marc
    Do a forum search for Treo Helper and Email Notify. Both are free. Use Email Notify to send you an SMS when a new email hits your POP3 box. TH will allow you to use that SMS as a trigger to launch Snappermail to fetch that message. I've set email notify to poll every two minutes but you can go lower if you need too.
    What am I missing here? Why not just set snappermail to auto check every 5 or 10 minutes, and notify you when it gets new mail?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Well I used to do that too but it would cause me to miss phone calls or make me wait to access other features, while snappermail was autofetching. My new way using a combo of treohelper which does much more than sms triggers and snappermail allows me to fetch only when I have a message in my inbox.
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    modma, I understand your issue.

I have a solution, but it probably doesn't fit most users' needs unless they're popping their mail from a unix server.

I'm pulling mail from a linux server and have modified the procmail process to do what you were asking. It pretty much generates a new email with the sender's email and the subject line. Since it generates the email (and doesn't forward), attachments are not are not sent out. It's not specific for mobile phones, but I have it forward to (mynumber)@messaging.sprintpcs.com.

Their service ((mynumber)@messaging.sprintpcs.com) works alright for the most part. It will be retired after SMS support comes along, but I was told it would be supported for quite some time (a year or two afterward). With that amount of time, I will probably use an SMS solution.

We implemented it about a year ago...
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...=procmail.html
    Simple Solution. You already have Sprint. You are already paying for "Vision" service. You need to change your vision package to PCS Vision Professional Pack. Same monthly $ cost. Then set up and use PCS Business Connection - Personal Edition on your computer. Your email will be popped to your Treo based on the sync settings that you will specify on your Treo in the Business Connection program. If you have Outlook on your computer, that mail will be sent also. I just don't know how the attachments are handled on the POP account. You need to ask Sprint. Attachments are fine on my Outlook mail. Simple (?) solution.
    PS - You can also have Sprint email you a text message (SMS) to your Treo (an "Alert") to tell you that you have mail.
  11.    #11  
    Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great ideas, a lot of them I have looked at and considered. For the last two people who responded, these are solutions I already took a look at.

The first, using ph#@messaging.sprintpcs.com, worked great except when I received attachments. Sprint would bounce the mail back to the sender making them believe I never got the message at all.

The second, using Business Connect to notify me required my laptop to be running (which it is not when I am on trips).

However, I did find a wonderful and free solution which was right under my nose the entire time. I now forward all my e-mail, as well as keep it locally, to my Yahoo! Mail account. There is an option in Yahoo! Mail to notify your mobile device. Which I set up, and it works like a charm.

Kudos to Yahoo!, and thanks again everyone for all your great ideas! I hope others will try Yahoo! too and find that it's great!

Best Regards,
    -M-
    Originally posted by modma
    The first, using ph#@messaging.sprintpcs.com, worked great except when I received attachments. Sprint would bounce the mail back to the sender making them believe I never got the message at all.
    That's why you shouldn't do a forward. I generated a new message with only the email address and the subject line, so it doesn't go over the limit, and if it does, at least it won't reject.

Glad you found a solution that works for you!
    I noticed your signature. Are you by any chance a FAMU alum?
    A proud alum from Florida A&M University. C/O '03
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by freudov23
    Modma,

After reading your post I tried unsuccessfully to set up text messaging notification on my Yahoo POP3 account. Even after an extensive search, I was unable to find this option. What level of service do you have and where at Yahoo mail did you find this option?

TIA
    Tia,

I have the free Yahoo! Mail account. You can find the option in your "Mail Options," under "Filters." Above where it displays your filters, it will read "You can now notify your mobile device of new e-mail" or something to that effect, followed by a link to "Register your device."

Click that link and it will bring you to a page on mobile.yahoo.com asking what type of device you have and the e-mail address to it. Yahoo! will then send you a confirmation code on your Treo. Input it into the correct box, and register your device. Then it will give you a choice to "Go back to Yahoo! Mail" or "Goto Alerts." Click the Goto Alerts button.

Click "Create New Alert" and you will see a bunch of icons for "Breaking news," etc. One will be e-mail, click on E-Mail. Select your mobile device (you might only have one) then click done (or next or OK).

Go back to Yahoo! Mail, click Mail Options, and then Filters. Create a new filter. Since there is no "All Mail" option, I created a new filter with the rules: If the From line containts "@" (without the quotes), send to my Inbox, and check off the box that reads "forward to my mobile device."

And that's it.

Now, these may seem like really complicated directions. I found that after you register your device, it will tell you that you just need to go back and create a filter in Yahoo! Mail; but that didn't work for me. I needed to add the alert for e-mail before I could create the filter. Other than that, it works like a charm!

I hope this works for you too!

Best of luck,
    -M-
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by rhong

That's why you shouldn't do a forward. I generated a new message with only the email address and the subject line, so it doesn't go over the limit, and if it does, at least it won't reject.

Glad you found a solution that works for you!
    Very true, I wish I knew how to do that; but either my e-mail server doesn't allow that or I'm not too smart.

Thank you so much!

-M-
    can you only receive sms alerts for mail sent to your sprint email address or can you configure it to alert you to email sent to your hs beta email application?
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by ido
    can you only receive sms alerts for mail sent to your sprint email address or can you configure it to alert you to email sent to your hs beta email application?
    You can have an alert sent from any e-mail address, the only thing you need is an e-mail service that allows alerts to be sent. For example, with my Yahoo! solution, I do not use Yahoo! at all for any sort of e-mail. I just forward my incoming e-mail to Yahoo! as well for the simple purpose of getting alerts on my cell phone.

So all you really need is any e-mail address that permits forwarding, a Yahoo! account, and a shiny new Treo.

-M-