1.    #1  
    Long time reader first time poster.

I love my treo 300 and when I saw the hinge starting to crack yesterday, I was a bit dissapointed. However, I did buy my phone through Best Buy with the service plan, and I figured they would replace it for me. Boy was I wrong. Not only did they not replace it for me, but the cashier or whatever managed to Completely break off the flip piece, totally ruining its functionality!!! (hey at least I could make calls before). When I spoke to another rep about it, they seemed like they were about to replace it, but they brought a "technician" in who proceded, not only to blame the incidence on me, but also claimed I had tampered and opened the phone (as in where the circuitry is), voiding any warranty I may have had on it. They based this on the fact that they put the hinge back on backwards and said I had altered it. I spoke to the manager about it, and had never been treated so rudely in my life. As such, I think I am a little out of luck, since I had the Best Buy service plan, I never got the sprint insurance (and from what I can tell it would be a longshot for them to do it too). This is really sad, the treo 600 looks like a big improvement, but is out of my price range now, and am hesitent to buy another 300. This is obviosly a product defect, and to consider this kind of breakage physical neglect and not normal wear and tear is wrong. Any ideas on how I might be able to get some recourse?
    Go to a different Best Buy and try to return it. I also have the BB extended warranty and when my Treo300 hinge broke, my local BB exchanged it for a Treo600 no questions asked. It seems you just got an ashole at your local BB... Good luck!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    My hinge just broke.

I thought this wouldn't happen to me because I baby the device, but it did. Circuit City dumped sprint so I'm out of luck as well. Lesson learned the hard way. My phone is barely 13 months old. I have spoken to sprint retention and not gotten the "love" that new subs get. Think I'm gonna bail and take my number, but I'm still doing the math.
    David
    Send a certified letter (return receipt requested) to the CEO. Demand they live up to the letter of their service contract or you will take legal action. Tell them that if they refuse, you'll have no choice but to buy a replacement on a credit card, and take them to small claims court to recover the money.

Make them understand that the Treo is a tool you need to conduct business.

If they ignore you, go to the courthouse and file the papers.
    Don't buy the replacement, yet.... They may just offer you a store credit or a refund on the protection plan or something, but it's better than nothing.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Go to a different Best Buy and try to return it. I also have the BB extended warranty and when my Treo300 hinge broke, my local BB exchanged it for a Treo600 no questions asked. It seems you just got an ashole at your local BB... Good luck!
    Was it a straight-up exchange, ordid you have to pay the difference? Mine didn't pass the diagnostic at the Sprint store, and I went to BB to use my warranty. They were happy to exchange my 300 for the 600 if I paid the difference.
    Originally posted by Laithis

Was it a straight-up exchange, ordid you have to pay the difference? Mine didn't pass the diagnostic at the Sprint store, and I went to BB to use my warranty. They were happy to exchange my 300 for the 600 if I paid the difference.
    I had a similarly bad experience with BB. My phone failed the Sprint diagnostics and BB refused to even attempt to fix my Treo. They said that failing the diagnostic was just a a "software issue" and not covered under the extended warranty. The tech told me that under no circumstances would BB replace a phone having software issues.
    Originally posted by Laithis

I had to pay a $50 difference which was added to the value of my warranty for "future" upgrades! The difference all depends on what you originally paid for your Treo300 and the current price of the Treo600...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I bought my Treo at Circuit City, but when its hinge broke, I went through Sprint to get another one through the equipment replacement program.

Try taking it to a Sprint PCS store and see if they'll treat you better.
    I just gave up and let BB win. I went to 3 different stores and each on came up with a new reason not to honor the warranty. It just wasn't worth wasting anymore of my time. I liked my Treo but I can't afford a 600 so I'm moving on. Thanks for the suggestions though.