Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    Just an FYI to the group, palminfocenter.com just released some info on a new SDIO WIFI card that requires less power. Hopefully it'll work with the Treo 600.
  2. #2  
  3. #3  
    I've seen some stories on this one around (here and elsewhere). SyChip designed the new card specifically to answer a power problem in smartphones (and I've seen the T600 referenced specifically). Last I heard it was in Beta test somewhere, but who knows when it'll ship. I'd keep an eye on SanDisk, 'cause they buy the SyChip module and resell it for the Windoze PDAs.
  4. #4  
    From Socket Fourms....

    Posted - 02/05/2004 : 12:20:24 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I have the SanDisk version of the exact same device (Exact same problems) Why post here? Because SanDisk has no forums and a whopping 2 FAQ's for this device.

    To paraphrase a recent tech support answer from SanDisk....

    My Email:
    I have 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11a at home. This device always works (terribly slow) with 802.11b but never works with 802.11g. At work we have 802.11a and 802.11g, this device never works with 802.11g at work.

    SanDisk Responds:
    That device won't work with 802.11a


    My response: (paraphrased)
    Are you in India right now?

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I WOULD LIKE TO REITERATE: This was SanDisk's and not Socket's techincal support.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    Yes this device mostly *(creates negative air pressure). I wish I had bought this **(negative air pressure creating) device from Socket.


    *Spelled backwards = SKCUS
    **Spelled backwards = YKCUS
  5. #5  
    So when is the WIFI card coming out? I have read the news on the various sites but no one says when... early summer, late summer, fall...

    Thanks
    Jim
  6. #6  
    According to some of the articles linked from this Treocentral news story, Q2 or Q3 is possible. Of course I'd never rely on projected dates... for all we know they may not be able to make one low powered enough to work at all.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by albounds
    From Socket Fourms....

    Posted - 02/05/2004 : 12:20:24 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I have the SanDisk version of the exact same device (Exact same problems) Why post here? Because SanDisk has no forums and a whopping 2 FAQ's for this device.

    To paraphrase a recent tech support answer from SanDisk....

    My Email:
    I have 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11a at home. This device always works (terribly slow) with 802.11b but never works with 802.11g. At work we have 802.11a and 802.11g, this device never works with 802.11g at work.

    SanDisk Responds:
    That device won't work with 802.11a


    My response: (paraphrased)
    Are you in India right now?

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I WOULD LIKE TO REITERATE: This was SanDisk's and not Socket's techincal support.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    Yes this device mostly *(creates negative air pressure). I wish I had bought this **(negative air pressure creating) device from Socket.


    *Spelled backwards = SKCUS
    **Spelled backwards = YKCUS
    Actually, you should have asked a flat out question, instead of giving a scenario, and not given them the option to give you that type of answer.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by albounds
    From Socket Fourms....

    Posted - 02/05/2004 : 12:20:24 PM

    My response: (paraphrased)
    Are you in India right now?
    You think this is funny? As for my response, I'd rather not respond to such racist remarks.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay
    You think this is funny? As for my response, I'd rather not respond to such racist remarks.
    What the hell? I'm Indian too and I didn't find that racist! Lighten up Sanjay and take that mirchi out our your backside...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  10. #10  
    maybe the tech was in china... outsourced outsourcing ;-)
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    What the hell? I'm Indian too and I didn't find that racist! Lighten up Sanjay and take that mirchi out our your backside...
    Pray tell me what else is implied by that statement. Sounds pretty darn condescending to me and it's clearly targeted at a particular race/country

    PS:
    Condescending/Condescend:
    1. to agree to descend to a level less dignified or less privileged than one's own.
    2. to act is if one were of superior rank or station, treating others as inferior.

    Racism:
    1. the theory or opinion that a certain race or races of people (usually one's own), are superior to other's because of certain inborn characterisitics.
    2. any policy or practise based on such a theory or opinion.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay
    Pray tell me what else is implied by that statement. Sounds pretty darn condescending to me and it's clearly targeted at a particular race/country

    PS:
    Condescending/Condescend:
    1. to agree to descend to a level less dignified or less privileged than one's own.
    2. to act is if one were of superior rank or station, treating others as inferior.

    Racism:
    1. the theory or opinion that a certain race or races of people (usually one's own), are superior to other's because of certain inborn characterisitics.
    2. any policy or practise based on such a theory or opinion.
    And how would anyone that wasn't a racist themselves take that as an insult ?

    Seems to be a question, and how do you know what the author meant ?

    Everytime I hear someone yell racism it is someone with a grudge looking to take it out on someone, and they usually are the cause of all their own problems.
  13. #13  
    I do not think he was saying anything at all about Indian people in any way. What he was referring to was the fact that in our (by our I mean the majority of people in the tech industry) experiences with tech support that has been outsourced to India, we have found that for the majority of the people staffing these tech support centers, while possibly being intelligent or un-intelligent in their own right, are normally just reading information off of the same faq's that we have access to online. Most of these people are there to assist people who are not technically knowledgeable. Normally for most tech companies when they outsource they outsource their level 1 or level 2 tech support to other countries. The senior engineers who work directly for the company and comprise the level 3 and above tech support are normally kept in house because it would not be cost effective to train the outsourced workers in the engineering details of each product.




    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay
    Pray tell me what else is implied by that statement. Sounds pretty darn condescending to me and it's clearly targeted at a particular race/country

    PS:
    Condescending/Condescend:
    1. to agree to descend to a level less dignified or less privileged than one's own.
    2. to act is if one were of superior rank or station, treating others as inferior.

    Racism:
    1. the theory or opinion that a certain race or races of people (usually one's own), are superior to other's because of certain inborn characterisitics.
    2. any policy or practise based on such a theory or opinion.
  14. #14  
    If 'albounds' mean't nothing derogatory by his statement, then I apologize to him for making the accusation. But the fact remains that in the absence of any explanation by him, the statement does come accross as being condescending towards Indians or atleast towards those Indians that work in the 'call center' industry. I am sure you all do realize that such call centers exist in several other countries also, including several European countries, but for some reason the jokes always seem to be at the expense of India and sometimes the Philippines. The funny thing is during my stay in the US, which was long before outsourcing, my experience with customer service reps was no different than it is now with the jobs being outsourced. Personally I think as long as you have minimum wage employees handling such jobs, irrespective of what country they are in, customer support will always suck.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 05/25/2004 at 01:44 AM.
  15. #15  
    You hit it on the head Sonjay, it's not the country or race that is the problem for most call centers but the lack of common sense for most entry level support. India seems to be getting the most attention these days in the United States because large companies such as IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, EDS and Accenture have been moving large call centers into the country and laying off in the USA. It's not India's fault the the US is making this shift and causing many to be unemployeed but it's easier to blame the person you do not see.

    The US technology is shifting and reorganizing right now. I don't like seeing jobs moved outside of the country but I understand why it's done. However, I don't think it matters what country the jobs are in as you'll always have good workers and bad workers. To this date, I've still never seen an Outsourcing job that has been done better than one done within the organization but that has nothing to do with country or race but just outsourcing in general. B2B Partnerships are a different story.

    I do agree with you Sanjay that 'albounds' made a statement that could be taken personal but I'm sure it wasn't meant that way. On behalf of 'albounds' (whom I do not know), I want to apologize for him.
  16. JJL
    JJL is offline
    JJL's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by manielse
    You hit it on the head Sonjay, it's not the country or race that is the problem for most call centers but the lack of common sense for most entry level support. India seems to be getting the most attention these days in the United States because large companies such as IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, EDS and Accenture have been moving large call centers into the country and laying off in the USA. It's not India's fault the the US is making this shift and causing many to be unemployeed but it's easier to blame the person you do not see.

    The US technology is shifting and reorganizing right now. I don't like seeing jobs moved outside of the country but I understand why it's done. However, I don't think it matters what country the jobs are in as you'll always have good workers and bad workers. To this date, I've still never seen an Outsourcing job that has been done better than one done within the organization but that has nothing to do with country or race but just outsourcing in general. B2B Partnerships are a different story.

    I do agree with you Sanjay that 'albounds' made a statement that could be taken personal but I'm sure it wasn't meant that way. On behalf of 'albounds' (whom I do not know), I want to apologize for him.
    Manielse:

    As an IBM employee, I am proud to say that IBM HAS NOT outsourced any support center to India. Our US PC support line is in Atlanta, and our SW support line is in Toronto. Please check your facts before you make blanket statements.
  17. #17  
    Oh really? That's right IBM does not use the words 'offshore outsourcing'. Anyway I can post many many references that dispute that IBM does offshore call centers but here's just a couple.

    "Call centers ... are a $100 billion business, according to PriceWaterhouseCoopers, and much of that is going abroad. Companies like GE, Oracle, British Airways, Conseco, IBM, McKinsey, Ford, Citigroup and Microsoft are outsourcing thousands of US jobs to India, attracted by an educated workforce with 250 million English speakers and lower costs." [New York Daily News, 1/20/03, page 26]

    IBM Buys India Call-Center Firm for $170M
    http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/33346.html

    Would you like more references?
  18. JJL
    JJL is offline
    JJL's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by manielse
    Oh really? That's right IBM does not use the words 'offshore outsourcing'. Anyway I can post many many references that dispute that IBM does offshore call centers but here's just a couple.

    "Call centers ... are a $100 billion business, according to PriceWaterhouseCoopers, and much of that is going abroad. Companies like GE, Oracle, British Airways, Conseco, IBM, McKinsey, Ford, Citigroup and Microsoft are outsourcing thousands of US jobs to India, attracted by an educated workforce with 250 million English speakers and lower costs." [New York Daily News, 1/20/03, page 26]

    IBM Buys India Call-Center Firm for $170M
    http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/33346.html

    Would you like more references?

    You misunderstood my post. IBM does not outsource call centers to India to support its own products. When you call for IBM PC support in the U.S., it will go to either Atlanta or Greenock, Scotland depending on the time of day you call. Our SW call center is located in Toronto.

    As the world's largest IT services organization, IBM has to provide its services customers with an economical solution for their needs. Nowhere in the article does it mention that IBM will use the call center to support IBM products. IBM Global Services will offer this to its customers if THEY want to outsource.

    Additionally, the employees of this company are now IBM employees, so by definition we are not outsourcing anything.
  19. dootndo2's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    #19  
    In case you didn't notice, the title of this section on the discussion board is:

    New SDIO WIFI card announced

    Please post your non related comments to a more appropriate forum. There are people that are actually interested in discussing this topic.

    You all seem to have valid points, but is this really necessary?

  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by JJL
    Manielse:

    As an IBM employee, I am proud to say that IBM HAS NOT outsourced any support center to India. Our US PC support line is in Atlanta, and our SW support line is in Toronto. Please check your facts before you make blanket statements.
    Uh, IBM bought Transarc, and thus owns AFS. Development and support both moved to India. I have no statement about the quality of the people involved (the developer I met knows his stuff), but at a factual level you are wrong.

    Edit: and if you want to play semantic games about what outsourcing means, I can too. They moved AFS product support from Transarc to not-Transarc.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions