1.    #1  
    This is for Sprint PCS users and the Sprint Treo600!

If you are getting a weak phone signal strength and callers claim that you are cutting out on them and vice versa, here is a fix you can try.

Our Roaming Tower lists need to be updated into our Treo600's to keep them fresh and of course up to date.

To do this turn on the wireless service and go to the dial pad.

punch in: *2 and hit dial

This will connect you to the Sprint update service which will automatically update the Roaming Tower List into your Treo600.

NOTE: If your Treo600 is up to date with the list then you will be put through to the regular Sprint Help Automation and it will not automatically update your Treo600 !!!!

When it says that it is done updating your Treo600, hang up and then do a soft reboot.

When the Treo600 comes back on, turn the wireless service back on and go to the dial pad again.

punch in: *18 and hit dial

This will manually force the Treo600 to connect to the strongest updated Tower in your updated list.

Now look at your signal meter at the top right corner of your screen and be AMAZED !!!!!!!!

I went from 1 signal bar to 4 signal bars after doing this update and manual tower search.

HOORAY !!! Thanks to Sprint Technician Sven, you're a life saver!

I hope this helps.

Thanks for reading and see you out there.

Brad Hoesman Real Estate One Agent Ann Arbor, Michigan
    (734) 945-5626
    Last edited by Loki Sunrider; 01/10/2004 at 12:00 AM.
    Interesting...but*2 takes us to customer service (you know..where we wait...and wait.....) Are you SURE its *2?
    *2 is customer service. The only reason Loki Sunrider received an automatic prl update when he called is because the SprintPCS rep "flagged" his account.

If you think you need an update, btw these instructions are posted in numerous other threads, dial *2 and tell Claire prl update. This will take you to a SprintPCS rep. This rep will tell you that you have to go to a store. You tell them that you already did that and the store rep told you to call CS and ask to have your account flagged for update. You may have to call several times to get a rep that know what they are doing and can set you up. After your account is flagged, when you dial *2 instead of getting Claire you will get a message says that your phone needs an update and blah blah blah the rest is history.

One of these day maybe SprintPCS will get smart like Verizon and set up a special dial code that just updates prl without having to talk to someone.
    I have never had a problem getting a PRL update by calling *2. (have done it twice). The whole process probably took less than 3 minutes and I was not told to go to a store.

From what I understand, a PRL update will only help you while roaming.
    If you dial *2 and it always takes to prl update there is a problem. I had the same thing happen to me when I was using my 6035. I needed the update and my account was flagged. The rep explained that the first time I dialed *2 it would update my phone then revert back to CS. I dialed *2 about 15 times and always got the update. I checked the prl and it wasn't changing. I called Sprint, they told me it wasn't downloading or installed and that's why when I dial *2 I keep getting the prl update. Finally after about 5 more tries it worked and *2 reverted back to CS.

You can do some research on the subject at pdaphonehome and other sites.

Also check out:

http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/

They have a list of numbers for SprintPCS:

http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...howpage&pid=10
    Newbie needs help!

1. Can someone please explain what PRL is??

2. Also, how do you accomplish a soft re-boot??

Just trying to pick up th TREO vernacular!

Thanks!
    Originally posted by thebland
    Newbie needs help!

1. Can someone please explain what PRL is??
    Check out the following thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...84d7fec/h.html

Originally posted by thebland
    2. Also, how do you accomplish a soft re-boot??
    Check out page 152 of the manual.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  8.    #8  
    ADDITIONAL !

My PRL was updated to 10021.

Thanks for reading and see you out there.

Brad Hoesman Real Estate One Agent Ann Arbor, Michigan
    (734) 945-5626
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki Sunrider
    This is for Sprint PCS users and the Sprint Treo600!

If you are getting a weak phone signal strength and callers claim that you are cutting out on them and vice versa, here is a fix you can try. Our Roaming Tower lists need to be updated into our Treo600's to keep them fresh and of course up to date. To do this turn on the wireless service and go to the dial pad.

punch in: *2 and hit dial

This will connect you to the Sprint update service which will automatically update the Roaming Tower List into your Treo600. ... When it says that it is done updating your Treo600, hang up and then do a soft reboot. When the Treo600 comes back on, turn the wireless service back on and go to the dial pad again.

punch in: *18 and hit dial

This will manually force the Treo600 to connect to the strongest updated Tower in your updated list. Now look at your signal meter at the top right corner of your screen and be AMAZED !!!!!!!! I went from 1 signal bar to 4 signal bars after doing this update and manual tower search.

If SPRINT is your provider:
    it seems that a tower update can be performed by dialing *2
    and it seems that the phone can be forced to connect to the strongest tower by dialing *18.

If VERIZON is your provider:
    it seems that a tower update can be performed by dialing *228.

Question: If Verizon is your provider, how can you force your phone to connect to the strongest tower?
    My experience with the last two PRL updates is that it had to be triggered by Sprint's support. After the call to Sprint was compelted, a dial back to *2 and suffering through Claire to get to the English prompt, and say "prl update" and it should then begin the update. I have done the *18 twice and noticed no difference. If there is no PRL update to be done, then Claire says she does not understand...Love Claire - she has hung up on me twice. Ben