Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Sprint in Richmond, Virginia. Via Blazer. 100k test.

95 kb/sec
    3.001 sec latency
    I'm still only getting 6kbit/second

What the hell is going on??

I've always thought that the load times on my phone were slower than I thought they would be, but just ignored it because it still works pretty good... Is there something I should check for being seriously wrong??

I've got a Sprint Phone.. 2-3 bars of signal each time??
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Dorv

I've always thought that the load times on my phone were slower than I thought they would be, but just ignored it because it still works pretty good... Is there something I should check for being seriously wrong??

Sumpin' ain't right.
    Disabled chatter, and got 64 per sec... Better
    AT&T GSM
    State College, PA
    33kbit/sec
    2.515s latency
    2 bars signal strength
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    SprintPCS (CDMA) - Treo 600
    Chicago

100 kbit/sec
    2.39s latency
    10.355s d/l time

Blazer v3.0
    3 Bars
    Originally posted by Dorv

I was getting similar performance earlier this week. I put a call into Sprint CS and was uncermoniously disconnected after being on hold for 30 freaking minutes.

Any how, the problem has become a elusive one. Sometimes I get 90 kbps, while other times I get 20 regardless of signal strength.

If this continues I'll put another call into Sprint, but I don't hold much hope for resolution.
    I heard T-Mobile has implemented EDGE on some metro areas in the US, like Akron OH, which allows 80-90kbps connection. Can anybody with T-Mo Treo 600 test the speed to see if the T-Mo device support EDGE?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by sparxus
    I heard T-Mobile has implemented EDGE on some metro areas in the US, like Akron OH, which allows 80-90kbps connection. Can anybody with T-Mo Treo 600 test the speed to see if the T-Mo device support EDGE?

Thanks.
    there are only a handful of phones that currently support EDGE (most of them are UGLY btw) and the treo is not one of them. check both the AT&T site and www.phonescoop.com on EDGE capable phones.

the treo should still be able to work on gprs once EDGE gets rolled out, but won't be able to take advantage of the speed bump that EDGE will provide.
    -- berto
    Originally posted by BaltimoreTreo

If you compare the specs section of the Handspring site you'll see it says that the Sprint version has up to 4 hours talk time and the GSM version has up to six hours. So yes, Sprint users do pay for the speed in battery life. That was the reason why my firm decided to standardize on the GSM version (specifically T-Mobile) but I think this is a personal choice. My own humble opinion is that the GSM unit is a better business device - because of battery life and international use - while the Sprint is a better personal/entertainment device - primarily because of speed.
    I disagree. Not only is the speed better, but so is coverage on Sprint. If you get email with attachments, or heavy internet use, then battery life is an acceptable compromise for enhanced services. I will concede this is all out the window if you travel internationally, as there is no real CDMA option for Sprint users.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    SW Houston

Sprint CDMA

100K test:
    73-87 kbit/sec on ~10 repeated tests

(There was one anomaly at 26kbit.)
    Originally posted by bertopl

there are only a handful of phones that currently support EDGE (most of them are UGLY btw) and the treo is not one of them. check both the AT&T site and www.phonescoop.com on EDGE capable phones.

the treo should still be able to work on gprs once EDGE gets rolled out, but won't be able to take advantage of the speed bump that EDGE will provide.
    You are correct, phones released by Cingular and AT&T do not support EDGE. However, I read somewhere that the T-Mo delay is caused by its effort to make T600 support EDGE...
    NW Chicago 'burbs

SprintPCS Treo 600: 99 kbps, 2.46 sec latency

Soon to be discarded T-Mobile Treo 180:...

hold on, trying to get a signal...

:yawn:

nevermind. won't work with the Proxy Blazer as far as I can tell. With the 200kb test, I get 216 kbps. With Eudora Web, it takes about 25 seconds to load the 100kb page, so I'm guessing around 40 kbps.
    ...the patron saint of the easily amused...
    Sprint CDMA
    McLean, VA/Wash DC Metro

102kbit/sec
    3.038 sec latency
    10.796 d/l time

3 bars
    I've been using that test for a long time. Literally hundreds of times.

I am on Sprint PCS in Los Angeles (Downtown and Hollywood) with a Treo 600.

I ALWAYS use the 200K test, as the bigger the test, the more accruate the results for sustained speeds.

My range has been 40kbs-73kbs ... with an average in the upper end of that range ... around 70kbs. I have never been able to exceed 80kps (though I imagine in a lower Byte test I could get burst speeds to exceed that).

Latency falls between 2.5 seconds and about 3.7 seconds.

For what it's worth ...
    Oh, and I always test with 5 bars.

I have heard anecdotally that the speeds increase quite a bit, the FEWER bars you have.

That runs counter to what we would assume.

No idea why this would be the case, but it's one to think on.
    I just tried the 100K test and got the fastest speed I have ever gotten

81 kb/s
    2.769 latent
    12.597 d/l

This is about 11kbs greater than what I average on the 200k test.

The 200k test is more accurate for overall bandwidth. 100K is more likely to overweight "burst" speeds.
    Sprint CDMA / Treo 300

San Carlos, CA 94070
    One bar
    200k file
    116 kbit/sec
    1.431 sec latency
    15.192 sec d/l
    New York City
    T-Mobile
    firmware 2.05
    40kbs

Did the same test after fimrware upgrade
    to 2.08
    38 kbs (basically same i guess)

does anyone know what the firmware update actually does?
    sprintpcs San Antonio, tx
    treo 600
    at 100k

with 4bars:
    29kbit/sec
    2.777s latency
    29.492s d/ltime
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast