holey moley!
    are those your lips, treolady!
    yes!!!
    wow, sexy!
    T-mobile Boston Backbay Area (near Symphony Hall):
    . 38kbit/sec
    . 1.994s latency (blech!)
    . 22.574 d/l time. (blech!)
    Last edited by iamdw; 07/27/2004 at 12:08 AM. Reason: HTML not executed..
    303 kbits/sec
    sprint
    webviewer
    390 kbits/second
    0.08 s latency
    4.15 s d/l time

sprint
    webviewer

WOW! This is equivalent to or GREATER THAN edge and umts speeds right now! amazing! webviewer has taken sprint's cdma speed to a whole new level. i realize what ericdfairchild was saying about irregular results on the dsl report, but i am seeing speeds on the treo i didnt think were possible. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND WEBVIEWER!
    sprint treo 600
    Blazer browser
    Santa Barbara, CA
    118 kbits/sec

2.784s latency
    9.52s d/l time.
    c a r l n u n e s
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > iPhone( ) > Treo 755p
    WATCH THIS BEFORE POSTING
    Rogers Wireless GSM
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Server room
    4 bars (full)
    Blazer
    200K Test
    7kbit/sec
    3.405s latency
    207.714s d/ltime

Man i need EDGE....i will try again later when i get home
    Quote Originally Posted by treolady
    eek. i hope u mean 3G... sorry, that was bugging me
    hehe thnx TreoLady... little keyboard slip
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    2nd test
    same parameters

8kbit/sec
    2.714s latency
    186.666s d/l time
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    390 kbits/second
    0.08 s latency
    4.15 s d/l time

sprint
    webviewer

WOW! This is equivalent to or GREATER THAN edge and umts speeds right now! amazing! webviewer has taken sprint's cdma speed to a whole new level. i realize what ericdfairchild was saying about irregular results on the dsl report, but i am seeing speeds on the treo i didnt think were possible. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND WEBVIEWER!
    good god yes. it's the best $30 i've spent for the treo. i upped the memory to 4mb and try to empty the cache often. it just flies. it IS amazing. i told someone about the speed test and that it was getting over 200kbps and he replied, "that's BS!" i love cynics when they're wrong.

sorry to digress but it's a little sneaky to fiddle with the memory. it's in the Preferences menu. drop down to IBM Java VM and drop down to "WebViewer" and set the memory there (uncheck global prefs of course). I set it to 8 but it reset so instead i set it to 4MB, which is working well...don't know if that has anything to do w/the browsing speed but hey, the more memory the better i guess!

[/end blabber]
    My question about Webviewer is this: Is it accessing some other proxy server or something? I've read about "skewed" speed reports as a result of proxies that are different from the default ones in the Treo/Blazer setup...
    when you're in the IBM Java VM preferences and you select WebViewer, the http proxy field is blank. unless there is something else i missed...

On cingular with web pro 3:
    unstable/too fast a result (0.733s)
    id like to know what exactly webviewer does to expedite data so much faster through the treo processor than blazer.

when i tried web pro 3.0, i also got unstable results. too fast.

trying 200k tests on webviewer seems to consistently yield test results up around 300 kbits per sec. the range is from 175 - to as high as 390 kbits / sec!!!

ericdfairchild stated there were skewed results, but what exactly does the browser do to achieve this dramatic speed improvement?
    GSM, TMobile, NJ, 100K file
    Speed: 23kbit/sec on Blazer
    Speed: 175kbit/sec on reqwireless

WOW
    Last edited by mrrippey; 07/27/2004 at 03:31 PM. Reason: need to add more information
    I think what's happening is that the proxy server is pulling the 200K file from server to server over the (very fast) Internet, then either compressing the crud out of it, or stripping it out altogether, before sending the information across the ether to the Treo's radio.

In the case of WebPro the proxy server may actually get the file and respond to the Speed Test server immediately, resulting in the "unstable - too fast" - probably the same result as if you ran the test from a cable-modem enabled computer.

Folks can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not that the *browser* is making things faster - it's the combination of the proxy server stripping and compressing things down, then passing that data stream to the proprietary browser that displays the data stream appropriately.
    SprintPCS, Reston, VA, NJ, 100K file
    Speed: 23kbit/sec
    1 Bar
    i tried web pro 3 also. while it was fast as well, it didnt match webviewer's pace, which was consistently very fast.

web pro registers as too fast on the dsl report test, but while surfing with it i didnt get the same level of browsing speed despite the remark that it was too fast.

they are both very good, however. i like how web pro renders pages. i evaluated them both t the same time. i used reqwireless more often however as it produced web sites consistently faster than web pro had.