Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The reset issue
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    thank God i'm not the only person with this problem. i called hs about this issue back in november and i was told they hadn't heard about it. same thing....my treo would power down and i couldn't get it to power back up until i plugged it into the power supply. ugh!!! even when it did power back on, all my data/contact info was gone, so it might as well be dead! i can't duplicate a set of circumstances that would cause the treo to crash. it happens when not in use, while using various programs, or getting/making cell calls. i've since bought a sd card and currently looking for good backup program that would allow me to backup data/contact info to it. i noticed a couple of programs mentioned in previous posts so i'll check those out. at least i'll be able to restore my data without being at my desk. however, there's still the issue of having to carry my power supply EVERYWHERE i go, and hope there's an outlet! disappointing but i'm sticking in there hoping hs will find a solution to this problem. thanks everyone!

in a previous post, someone asked for a list of programs installed on our treo to perhaps see if there was some connection to our reseting problem.....

- phone info
    firmware: 02.02
    software: treo600-1.06-cng
    hardware: b
    - standard programs that come with unit
    - bejeweled 2.23
    - pocket tunes deluxe 2.1.1
    - snapper mail premier 1.9.2.01
    Last edited by Molekoi; 01/16/2004 at 07:32 PM.
  3.    #23  
    Thanks for listing your apps. I'm the original poster... and we have the EXACT same problem, AND we have two of the same apps installed: Pocket tunes deluxe 2.1.1 AND snapper mail premier 1.9.2.01. Since tons of people have SnapperMail, I'm going to throw the suspect hat at PocketTunes for now. I'm going to try removing it and see.

Since someone posted that HS/Palm would replace the unit, I'm not going to invest a lot of time with this, however.
    just wanted to update you guys. I have reset the phone back to its original state and put on my most used third party apps. I have not had the BDR crash so far (aprox a week so far). The only thing i have not done was edit, make new, or use the favorite buttons, which is what seemed to be causing my problem before. Just wanted to update.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Hi RN,

I tried the same thing. My Treo was fine for several weeks then it happened again. Exact same problem…unable to reset without power. Hope you have better luck. Odd thing happened the other night. I happened to be playing Klondike Solitare on my Treo when it crashed. This game originally came with the unit I have. Anyway, this time my Treo booted right up. I tried starting the game again and it crashed again, but booted right up. This happened several times before I finally removed the program. It’s been working fine but not sure how long this will last. Not sure if this is related but thought I'd mention it. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    The network search problem is something that many of us have gone through. May or may not be related in a remote way, but I can't tell.

I started a thread about the network search problem HERE

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t46469/s.html

You'll need to replace your unit

this is all not relevant. i called them - its a hardware problem. they are replacing. get yours replaced!!!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    i placed a call to hs to replace the unit when i first mentioned the problem above. the reason for my second post was because hs informed me that it may not be a hardware problem but a software problem. no surprise on passing the buck but i was trying to figure out if others have had the same problem with units that have been replaced. i travel and i'd rather not be hsless while waiting for another unit. btw, they said a month before it would arrive.
    I got a 2 week promise, but its worth the wait. Only sure way to deal with it for now is the backup SD card and program, and carry the car charger or power supply with you

The nice thing is that it's prob not the software. FYI - the post re Klondike... had the same exact problem 2 days ago and had to delete it!!!
    fyi...this is a common issues.
    the battery/power regulator is defective.
    if you do a "battery disconnect reset" it can cause bugs, like the Klondike reset problem (open Klondike, reset phone).

HS says tough nuts...if you have a Sprint Treo, take it to the store, and get them to replace it. However, this can be an arguous task, given that you basically have to wait for diagnostics to be run, then argue for a replacement when they say "the phone works ok".

I bought my T600 directly from HS, and they completely disavow any hardware support after 14 days. So much for that year warranty. FTC complaint in progress...

what HS doesn't get is that getting to a sprint store is not that easy for everyone...I have to take a day off work in order to get to one, and then pray that is gets resolved. Mail would be a lot easier.

great product, depsite the defects, but horrible cust service.
    I am not sure what all the fuss is. I had the Treo (for Cingular) for 2 months. I had the problem. I called them. I got an R.A. (return authorization. I got a new one sent in 2 weeks (got here Friday, with a box ready for the other one), postage paid back. Great service, no problem , and I don't work for them!!!
    Originally posted by maxibenson
    I am not sure what all the fuss is. I had the Treo (for Cingular) for 2 months. I had the problem. I called them. I got an R.A. (return authorization. I got a new one sent in 2 weeks (got here Friday, with a box ready for the other one), postage paid back. Great service, no problem , and I don't work for them!!!
    Sprint will not do this. You MUST take the device into a store, have them run diagnostics, and then they swap it out (if they have it in stock).

This is a huge pain. Most stores are understaffed; it can take hours to have a diag done. You can often spend the better part of the day dealing with it.

This is fine if you do not need your phone (and PDA), but for most people that I know, who run thier lives (business and personal) off their Treo, this just is enormous hassle.
    you should switch to Cingular
    one of the known "issues" with this unit Treo 600, is a rattling noise which i had for sometime and then it stopped and that's when all the problems everyone is describing began.
    took it to Sprint service center, tehy of course checked it out,in 10 minutes and said all was fine!!!
    I insisted someone take it apart and check for sometihing loose, sure enough the tech said there was a loose screw from the circuit board which he reinstalled!!

Since then it has worked like a charm with NO problems, I too created a new sync name and started from scratch installing all my software, including SnapperMail and Pocketunes etc

NO PROBLEMS!!!!!!

good luck everyone i know how fustrating this cn be
    Originally posted by mikec
    fyi...this is a common issues.
    the battery/power regulator is defective.
    if you do a "battery disconnect reset" it can cause bugs, like the Klondike reset problem (open Klondike, reset phone).

HS says tough nuts...if you have a Sprint Treo, take it to the store, and get them to replace it. However, this can be an arguous task, given that you basically have to wait for diagnostics to be run, then argue for a replacement when they say "the phone works ok".

I bought my T600 directly from HS, and they completely disavow any hardware support after 14 days. So much for that year warranty. FTC complaint in progress...

what HS doesn't get is that getting to a sprint store is not that easy for everyone...I have to take a day off work in order to get to one, and then pray that is gets resolved. Mail would be a lot easier.

great product, depsite the defects, but horrible cust service.

I had a very different experience. I called Sprint Cust Service, told them about my battery dying within hours and losing data. They asked me if I took it to a store, I said yes and the store told me to call them.

I got a new phone in TWO DAYS !!

Battery still drains quickly....but not as bad as last one. Love my phone!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Molekoi
    Hi RN,

I tried the same thing. My Treo was fine for several weeks then it happened again. Exact same problem…unable to reset without power. Hope you have better luck. Odd thing happened the other night. I happened to be playing Klondike Solitare on my Treo when it crashed. This game originally came with the unit I have. Anyway, this time my Treo booted right up. I tried starting the game again and it crashed again, but booted right up. This happened several times before I finally removed the program. It’s been working fine but not sure how long this will last. Not sure if this is related but thought I'd mention it. Thanks.
    just got my replacement today.
    Well...if this happens to you...good luck. Mine died Saturday and the customer support person told me I would have a replacement within 3 business days, and now they say they can't "promise" that as of today.

Great. I have a business trip Thursday, and no phone. They don't seem to be too concerned that these things are dying on people right and left.

If you are thinking about buying a Treo 600....maybe you better think about it a little more. Seems like a lot of problems, and it is clearly overwhelming their ability to handle it from a service standpoint.

Oh, and by the way. You get a "new" phone from a "repair service" that fixes previously broken ones as your replacement.

Mine was 40 days old when it failed.

Won't buy another one. Lots of money. Doesn't work for more than 40 days. Bad customer service.

Think twice before dropping that kind of money on them.
    Just thought I'd ad my pennys worth to this topic

I have suffered exactly the same reset just after I received a text message I pressed a function button to view and hey presto a dead unit. I was puzzled as nothing would kick start the phone.

Also to make matters worse I was on Vacation in New York and was roaming. The text was from a friend trying to give me directions to meet her. ****hell

Had to walk miles and miles to find a shop with a charger cause I presumed it was a sudden dead battery - I was sure I only had a full charge the night before.

Found a charger - plugged him in (comp usa) bingo ! back to life with 3/4 battery strenght straight away , but every bit of data was gone ( factory reset)

Luckily texts came through "are you lost "etc etc

- phone info
    firmware: 01.15
    software: treo600-1.0-OUK
    hardware: b

After reading about this problem I contacted Orange my UK phone network provider and logged the fault with the technical dept - who apparantly have never heard of this fault. That was 2 weeks ago - this morning I got a courtesy call from an Orange representive trying to arrange a delivery of a replacement handset - It should be here tomorrow morning.

It only happened the once, but hey that's enough

With murphys law it's bound to happen on dark lonely night miles from anywhere & youv'e run out of gas etc
    Last edited by arcadebod; 02/06/2004 at 07:25 AM.
    Happened to me. Sprint CDMA Rev. B phone. 6 months old.

After landing, went to power up wireless... gave me a low battery warning and turned off (with approx 85% batt). Slid the volume switch from silent to normal and it hard reset (not BDR I don't think because it powered back up unplugged, but all info was wiped).

Got home, resyched with my CPU, backed up to SD card with backup man and then got the BDR almost immediately after backing up to backupman while using pockettunes. Had to plug it in to power it up, it refused to charge and reset a few more times... now its up and running again.

Trying to decide whether to use my Best Buy service warrenty, or go through PalmOne or Sprint. Might try to wait it out and see if it keeps reoccuring, I hear the new screens are garbage. Has anyone experienced this and have it not happen again, or at least rarely?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast