1.    #1  
    I just posted a review of the i.Trek GPS unit along with the Mapopolis software on my site if anyone is interested.

Long and short of it, 3 of 5 stars. Great hardware, software was unstable.

http://www.silverdragonden.com/index...did=59;start=0

-SD
    So this is a review of the unit with old software, any issues with new beta from Mapopolis?
    From the review "The GPS was far more precise than I thought it would be (have not used GPS in years, so maybe that's normal)." It's probably normal. The military turned off the false spoofing security code some years ago. It used to be set to +/- 100 meters.

Most public use should be good for +/- 3 meters these days (w/o the military encription code key). Decimeter for $5 to 10 grand.
  4.    #4  
    Yeah, but it was CLOSE.... From what I could tell, it was about 2 meters off. Hard to tell, but based on where the tip of the arrow is, that's about where I was. IT was impressive.

An update has been posted... New software is better but not the solution yet.
    I'm not surprised. I didn't want too get to fancy in my response. Some of the little "mouse" units are getting as good as a meter these days, depending on conditions. It's Amazing isn't it!.

I'm using the Trimble GPS (BIG $$$) for my job. These days we get sub centimeter, in just over a minute, on a routine basis. I remember in 1990 sitting out at 2am for 4 hours, hoping for a decimeter! And that took 3 receivers. (Learned to call the cops before we went out )

BTW - Thanks for the review.
  6.    #6  
    I was *amazed* that a consumer unit could be so precise! I didn't know that pro stuff was even cooler!

I used to work on the other site of the satellite... Imaging and broadcast... That's some pretty cool stuff too (different birds though).

As for Mapopolis, it's just a software thing, I'm sure it will get worked out.

-SD
    Originally posted by silverdragon
    I was *amazed* that a consumer unit could be so precise! I didn't know that pro stuff was even cooler!

I used to work on the other site of the satellite... Imaging and broadcast... That's some pretty cool stuff too (different birds though).

As for Mapopolis, it's just a software thing, I'm sure it will get worked out.

-SD
    I also own the iTrek GPS mouse. I also had s/w lock-up problems with Navigator (ver 1.22). However, since applying the beta version you mentioned (ver 1.27), I have not had a SINGLE lock-up.

Last weekend, I travelled from Columbia, MD to Lorton, VA for approximately 2 hours, and I had no problems whatsoever.

AFAIC, It works fine now
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --