Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    After reading the various reviews of TheBoom, I decided to take the plunge and called to place an order. I asked the sales rep about the $99 sale and was told that it was over. I suggested that I had read great reviews of the device on this forum, but could not justify $150 for a headset -- she advised me that she would check on it and call me back.

    Well, tonight she called and said the sale was now extended until January 15th! So my new headest is on the way and it was only $99.00. I'll post my review once it arrives next week.

    If you are thinking about ordering, I would do so before the 15th!
  2. #2  
    Originally posted by thr61
    After reading the various reviews of TheBoom, I decided to take the plunge and called to place an order. I asked the sales rep about the $99 sale and was told that it was over. I suggested that I had read great reviews of the device on this forum, but could not justify $150 for a headset -- she advised me that she would check on it and call me back.

    Well, tonight she called and said the sale was now extended until January 15th! So my new headest is on the way and it was only $99.00. I'll post my review once it arrives next week.

    If you are thinking about ordering, I would do so before the 15th!
    thr61,

    Thx for the tip! I had actually bought the boom online before seeing your post. I called and spoke to a CSR, and mentioned that I had 'heard' that the sale had been extended to the 15th. The CSR kindly offered to refund the balance. It should arrive today. Once again, thanks for the heads-up!
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
  3. 7zero's Avatar
    Posts
    214 Posts
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    #3  
    Well after sitting on the fence for a couple of weeks, I finally ordered "The Boom" based on the great feedback on these boards. I was able to order it yesterday, 12 January for the $99 price.

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    Thanks for the tip!
    Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Centro, Pre
  4. #4  
    Ditto. I ordered mine yesterday also. Can't wait to try it.

    Paul
  5. #5  
    Ordered mine today. The sale is still on!
  6. 7zero's Avatar
    Posts
    214 Posts
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    #6  
    Originally posted by 7zero
    Well after sitting on the fence for a couple of weeks, I finally ordered "The Boom" based on the great feedback on these boards. I was able to order it yesterday, 12 January for the $99 price.
    My Boom arrived today. Try the test they suggest. It works. I tried it and could barely hear the music in the background and I was about 2 feet from the speaker. In the car, some wind noise is still apparant but nothing like those mic's that dangle.

    Overall, excellent product IMHO. Can't wait for the answer/send functionality to come along as may happen (as read in another post).

    Nice job to the devs of The Boom.
    Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Centro, Pre
  7. #7  
    I received mine a week or so ago. I find that the it comes apart easily, and I'm wondering if I have a defective unit? The magnet seems week, and whenever I gently touch the boom or earpiece, it seems to come off. Even when I'm trying to put it on. Are others having the same problem? Maybe I have a defective unit?
  8. #8  
    You guys suck.

    I ordered one just now for the $99 price. Not a word, 7zero!

    What's the bit about the answer button?
  9.    #9  
    Finally back in the office to find it has arrived. Four hour drive scheduled for tomorrow so I should be able to give it a workout and post a review on Monday.

    Initial impressions are that it is a bit cumbersome and may not be great for quickly answering a call. If they retro fit an on/off button that would be a big help.

    What's the story with the foam windscreens? Is the adhesive supposed to peel off so it can be applied? I managed to tear the first one I tried...
  10. 7zero's Avatar
    Posts
    214 Posts
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    #10  
    Originally posted by dune
    You guys suck.

    I ordered one just now for the $99 price. Not a word, 7zero!

    What's the bit about the answer button?
    Couldn't resist a word dune:

    HA! Who's the geek now? Just kidding Dune...

    -zero
    Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Centro, Pre
  11. #11  
    Originally posted by thr61
    What's the story with the foam windscreens? Is the adhesive supposed to peel off so it can be applied? I managed to tear the first one I tried...
    Have you had any luck thr61? I received TheBoom yesterday and I just can't seem to peel off the white paper. It certainly looks like it should come off ... but no luck. Are there any other owners of TheBoom that got past this?

    BTW... This headset is amazing!
    ~ShooterX~
    ______________________________________________
    "Our great challenge is to protect the American people.
    Our great opportunity is to advance the cause of justice
    and human dignity all across the world."
    - President George W. Bush

    ______________________________________________
  12.    #12  
    ShooterX

    I did manage to get the white protective covers off of one set. It requires a bit of a fingernail edge to get it started and then I was able to peel it off. I just kept poking at it until I was able to get an edge to stick up and then it peeled away.

    Still need to write my review -- I like the sound and it is reasonably comfortable -- my biggest complaint is trying to put it on while driving.

    Full review on Friday since I think I am going to keep it.
  13. #13  
    I guess sometimes you just need to know that something's possible. While reading your reply, I again tried to peel the backing off (as I had done 20 times before) and bingo ... it worked!

    I'll know for sure in a few days ... but I expect this will be a keeper.

    Thanks thr61!
    ~ShooterX~
    ______________________________________________
    "Our great challenge is to protect the American people.
    Our great opportunity is to advance the cause of justice
    and human dignity all across the world."
    - President George W. Bush

    ______________________________________________
  14. #14  
    Ok, two questions for current theboom owners:

    1. Do you have any static when you use the headset? I have tons of static that can be heard on both sides of the conversation. I don't have this static when I don't use the headset.

    2. Did your treo 600 adapter come "modified," meaning that part of the black plastic on the plug that goes into the phone was cut away? It's a process similar to what people do with the radio shack audio plug adapter.

    Thanks!
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
  15.    #15  
    I have had no static on either end. The plug did not appear to be modified using the RS technique of shaving off the plastic and the one sent fits fine and has not come out.

    It sounds to me like you have either a bad plug or a problem with your headset input. Do you get static with the "standard" headset?

    BTW: my wife complained that my voice was "too loud" and could I not shout. The reality was that I was talking in a completely normal voice and so I moved the mic a bit further from my mouth which seemed to fix the problem. Another indication of how well this thing performs...
  16. #16  
    Originally posted by thr61
    I have had no static on either end. The plug did not appear to be modified using the RS technique of shaving off the plastic and the one sent fits fine and has not come out.

    It sounds to me like you have either a bad plug or a problem with your headset input. Do you get static with the "standard" headset?

    BTW: my wife complained that my voice was "too loud" and could I not shout. The reality was that I was talking in a completely normal voice and so I moved the mic a bit further from my mouth which seemed to fix the problem. Another indication of how well this thing performs...
    I only get this problem with theboom. No static with any other headset. The company's sending me another t600 adapter. I think that's the problem.

    And I agree. The mic is phenomenal.

    Also, this thing was updated since I bought my first one about a year ago. The one before did not have the plastic tube thing that goes into your ear (used to be a plain speaker that sits outside your ear)
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p

Posting Permissions