1.    #1  
    I found this and made me smile -- brand new at Brighthand.com!

SyChip has developed a new, low power Wi-Fi SD card. SyChip is the company that created the original Wi-Fi SD card that is being offered now by companies like SanDisk.

This card will be most significant to Palm OS users. SanDisk said last month that, though it was intending to release in the coming months a Palm OS driver for the first-generation Wi-Fi SD card, many Palm powered models don't provide enough power to their SD port to use it. SyChip's new card has been specifically designed for devices of this nature.
    Full article available here: Linkish

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    SyChip said in December it has plans to create SD cards that offer more than one function. It now has a prototype of an SD card that offers both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless networking. SyChip is also working on an SD card that has Wi-Fi and some memory, though the company hasn't said how much.

Ahhhh, sweeet.
    Devices Owned:
    Handspring 600 (retired), Treo 650 x2 (retired), Centro x2 (offline usage), Palm Pre x2, HTC EVO

Apps I can't live without on my Pre:
    Dr. Podder, Music (Remix) and JogStats
    It will also have the ability to operate in peer-to-peer mode (without an access point) to share data directly with other wireless handhelds.
    Imagine the possibilities of that!

Gamer's could play two person games.
    Business applications could transfer data in the field.
    You could potentially even stream audio/video off of another Treo
  4.    #4  
    Or if you travel alot, you could sit in an airport with wifi and stream that 128k shoutcast station while waiting for your plane.
    Mmmmm. *drool*

Good to hear. However, since "It is not known at this time when it will be on the market or what it will cost" I'm not getting my hopes up. Quite often things shown at the CES don't even manage to come out that year, or end up just squeaking in the tail end of the year. By that time I wouldn't be surprised if another Treo is already in the works that includes this functionality. Or if it does manage to come out in a timely manner and it's just too expensive then I wouldn't bother with it either and just wait for TheNextBestThing™.
    mproved utilities and drivers will allow this card to roam seamlessly among multiple 802.11b wireless network access points without losing a connection. It will also have the ability to operate in peer-to-peer mode (without an access point) to share data directly with other wireless handhelds.
    Cool!

Does this mean you would be able to be on a VOIP call with this phone while moving from between access points? Could you use VOIP to call a phone near you?
    There was a thread on this yesterday... Reading through the Brighthand page and pursuing some of the links yielded this:

www.brighthand.com/article/SanDisk_Explains_Delay_of_Wi-Fi_SD_Card

Apparently, even if the driver issue is solved, there could be a problem with powering a WiFi card. So close and yet so far.................
    GREAT NEWS!! However I wonder if low power = small range? Anyway, I have a sinking feeling we won't be seeing any of these card for many many months to come...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by Dalai Lama
    There was a thread on this yesterday... Reading through the Brighthand page and pursuing some of the links yielded this:

www.brighthand.com/article/SanDisk_Explains_Delay_of_Wi-Fi_SD_Card

Apparently, even if the driver issue is solved, there could be a problem with powering a WiFi card. So close and yet so far.................
    This is a seperate product.

The SanDisk announcement was made BEFORE announcing the product that I linked to.
    So it is.... There is hope after all! My apologies....