1.    #1  
    If you're like me, you love your Treo, but you secretly wish you could connect to a Windows PC.

I've used Palm VNC before and its not too bad. I've found that its a little cluncky and you have to install its client to get it to work. Also, it effectivly disables Terminal Services, which is more robust.

However, I just found a program called Mobile TS at :
    http://www.ddhsoftware.com/mobile_ts.html
    There's a free demo there that works for 10 days

It allows you to connect to any Windows XP desktop or Windows NT, 2000 or 2003 server running Terminal Services. Terminal Services is a built in remote control program that comes with these OSes that allows for remote control. If you're familiar with Laplink, PC ANywhere or that Go 2 My PC program, its the same thing only built in.

I use TS to connect to some servers I administer as well as my work and home PCs. I've been doing this for a while now on a PC, but always wanted to do it on my phone. Its great when someone calls complaining that the email server is acting up. You can just fire up a connection on your phone and kick the server.

Anyway, I tried this Mobile TS product and have to say I'm pretty impressed with it.

On Windows 2000 and 2003 servers (not XP), Terminal Services is actually a service. It has nothing to do with the keyboard, monitor and mouse of the physical PC. Multiple users can be logged on at the same time and with different settings. One of these settings that's really cool in this space is the screen resolution setting. Since the desktop is virtual, Mobile TS lets you specify a screen res of as low as 320x320. True, its not as low as some of use Treo 600 users want, but its much nicer than having to download and scroll a 1024x768 screen when you don't need it (again, I usually just need to go to Start and choose Restart). If you did need a higher screen res, just specify it when you connect on Mobile TS. It'll let you choose.

I'm sure you're all thinking I'm a rep for the company or some sort of 'compensated advocate'. I'm not. Do a search on the site and you'll see if posted some stuff before. This is just a program that was always available on Pocket PCs and not Palms that I sorely missed. I hated having to implement two ways to connect to servers both becuase of the software install and the extra firewall ports.

Give it a shot. You'll thank me.
    Originally posted by jasondeno
    If you're like me, you love your Treo, but you secretly wish you could connect to a Windows PC.

I've used Palm VNC before and its not too bad. I've found that its a little cluncky and you have to install its client to get it to work. Also, it effectivly disables Terminal Services, which is more robust.

However, I just found a program called Mobile TS at :
    http://www.ddhsoftware.com/mobile_ts.html
    There's a free demo there that works for 10 days

It allows you to connect to any Windows XP desktop or Windows NT, 2000 or 2003 server running Terminal Services. Terminal Services is a built in remote control program that comes with these OSes that allows for remote control. If you're familiar with Laplink, PC ANywhere or that Go 2 My PC program, its the same thing only built in.

I use TS to connect to some servers I administer as well as my work and home PCs. I've been doing this for a while now on a PC, but always wanted to do it on my phone. Its great when someone calls complaining that the email server is acting up. You can just fire up a connection on your phone and kick the server.

Anyway, I tried this Mobile TS product and have to say I'm pretty impressed with it.

On Windows 2000 and 2003 servers (not XP), Terminal Services is actually a service. It has nothing to do with the keyboard, monitor and mouse of the physical PC. Multiple users can be logged on at the same time and with different settings. One of these settings that's really cool in this space is the screen resolution setting. Since the desktop is virtual, Mobile TS lets you specify a screen res of as low as 320x320. True, its not as low as some of use Treo 600 users want, but its much nicer than having to download and scroll a 1024x768 screen when you don't need it (again, I usually just need to go to Start and choose Restart). If you did need a higher screen res, just specify it when you connect on Mobile TS. It'll let you choose.

I'm sure you're all thinking I'm a rep for the company or some sort of 'compensated advocate'. I'm not. Do a search on the site and you'll see if posted some stuff before. This is just a program that was always available on Pocket PCs and not Palms that I sorely missed. I hated having to implement two ways to connect to servers both becuase of the software install and the extra firewall ports.

Give it a shot. You'll thank me.
    Yes.. thanks... we know about this (a search will reveal a large thread about it). Very useful along with MergicVPN!

We're still waiting for the developer to add a pop-up keyboard to MobileTS.
  3.    #3  
    Hunh...

I did keyword searches for both Terminal Service as well as Mobile TS and didn't find it.

What do I search on then?
    Greetings jasondeno:

Thank you for taking the time to post this information.

We manage a lot of servers hosted by other providers; and, sometimes it is a pain to work with their security team to get the port open for VNC, and the IP range involved.

99.999% have RDP set up already.

I'm going to be testing in minutes ;-)

Thank you.

===== testing started, notes below:

1. 1,000% faster than Palm VNC.

Well, maybe not 1,000% but extremely noticable improvement in speed.

2. Wish list is scaling of screen.

3. One bug I noticed when I tried to log into a server that is behind a firewall with RDP IP restrictions... the connection never timed out... five minutes later... still trying to connect. I had to use the stylus part to rest the Treo.

Otherwise... awesome so far.

Thank you again.
    Last edited by dynamicnet; 01/08/2004 at 08:36 PM.
    =====================
    Peter M. Abraham
    Dynamic Net, Inc.
    http://www.dynamicnet.net/
    does this work with windows xp home. i have remote services enabled but cannot connet. when i am on my pc and try to connect via the web browser it asks me for my username and password but nothing works. when trying it from my treo i get cannot connect to server??

help
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    XP home does not allow remote desktop connections-only XP pro.

iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 ..:.. Work phone
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by URPREY
    XP home does not allow remote desktop connections-only XP pro.
    So is there any solution for XP home edition users? I wanted MobileTS, because it is touted as the fastest and cheapest (vs win-hand?)

I see that home edition does have terminal services running, just not remote desktop.
    Alot of users compare RemotePlus much more favorably than Mobile TS. However I have not tried either fyi:

http://www1.smartcell.com/web/produc...uct.aspx?id=14

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Alot of users compare RemotePlus much more favorably than Mobile TS. However I have not tried either fyi:

http://www1.smartcell.com/web/produc...uct.aspx?id=14
    I really appreciate the input, and have bookmarked it, ty gfm. It's like MobileTS, however, and requires RDP - so XP home edition is out
    Gotcha! Well for those who don't have an OS like NT, XP Pro that support RDS, the only other option then probably something like Palm VNC (freeware), Win-hand (subscription), mocha vnc etc that require desktop client to be present:

http://palmvnc2.free.fr/

http://www.win-hand.com/

http://www.mochasoft.dk/vncp.htm

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Using Mobile-TS at the moment to connect to XP Pro box at home. The highest res setting on Mobile-TS is 1024x768. Are there any other TS programs for the Treo600 that will support 1280x1024?
    Very Nice J. Nice picture too
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mschultz
    Very Nice J. Nice picture too
    heh, that's the picture Steph took out at the Peotone track. I just added a little flair to it.

you know as well as I do that if I could somehow mount my Treo to my YZ that I'd do it. maybe hook it into one of those kill switch cables so it'd automatically dial 911 if I became separated from my bike.

think of all the time and confusion that'd save next time!