1.    #1  
    Does anyone know whether it will be possible to upgrade the Treo 600 to PalmOS 6?

Thanks,
    Peter
    Originally posted by phandel
    Does anyone know whether it will be possible to upgrade the Treo 600 to PalmOS 6?

Thanks,
    Peter
    Not unless it comes from Palm/Handspring for the Treo 600.

I would suspect that the OS needs to be customize for each piece of hardware.
    The Palm OS 5.xx has been customized by Handspring, that is why not all applications will work with your Treo. So who knows if they'll alter OS 6 and if they do, will it be a free upgrade or what? I get a f`
    Interesting question - I would think that a lot would depend on what kind of application/mutimedia/network performance PalmONE is promising for the next generation of handhelds. The Tungsten T3 is powered by a 400Mhz XSCALE processor and the Treo 600 is only a 144Mhz OMAP processor (and the Sony UX-50 has a proprietary ARM based processor which runs up to 123Mhz). Big difference in performance - they may make OS5 the max for certain devices.

It's a bit different from the days of all devices being on the same processor (Dragonball or compatible 68xxx) and essentially the same hardware in different cases. Now that there is a disparity between the devices (both from a manufacturer convergence and a hardware convergence view) we will probably see less and less "full version" upgrades for older hardware.

My bet is that OS6 will be ready for the next generation of converged PalmOS/Phone devices and in that rush to get out the next cool toy they probably won't have much time to shoehorn it into the 600. You can bet the "700" or whatever they are going to call it will have a much more powerful processor, more memory and probably integrated wifi of some sort (which OS6 will support natively - unlike OS5 which has had to have it patched on).

Oh well - by that time I'll be bored of my 600 and be ready for a new toy!

DemonJ
    Yeah - even though my post above got cut off (again - from my Treo!) I think you're right. The next Treo will have OS 6 - but luckily this one should still work just fine & not suddenly crash & burn - He he!
    Originally posted by phandel

Thanks,
    Peter
    I would have to say no.

OS6 is multi-threaded. The current hardware architecture would not support that, let alone the memory.

Palm users like to brag about how clean and fast the OS is, and how slow and bloated PocketPC is. Multi-threading is the reason for a lot of that slowness and bloat.
  7.    #7  
    Multitasking leading to bloat & slowness? I tend to really question that, especially with Palm's acquisition of BeOS ... no one would ever accuse Be of bloat or sluggishness!

Thanks,
    Peter
    I wouldn't hold my breath for an upgrade personally...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions