1.    #1  
    I just installed PocketTunes, and loaded some mp3 files onto my SanDisk 256MB card via a card reader. The playback intermittently slows and creates popping noises: is the problem the program or the SD reader or the SD card?
    I ran VFSMark on my card and got:
    FileCreate 247%
    FD 175%
    FWrite 21% !!!
    FRead 161%
    FSeek 393%
    DB Export 100%
    DBI 401%
    Rec Access 320%
    Res Access 314%
    VFSMark=236%
    I created the mp3 files by importing them into iTunes on my G4 iMac running Jaguar OS 10.2.3. The pops and slowdowns occur at different times if I replay the songs, so I don't think the problem is the mp3 file itself. I suspect it is the SD card, but didnt want to buy a new one without checking in here!
    BS Mann,

What is the sampling rate of the MP3? If it is too high, I do not think that PTunes can adequately replay the song in "real time" and may cause "pops" based on too much at one time.

Doesn't PTunes have a limit of 128KPS/KHZ for playback?

Try re-sampling the song lower than 128KKPS/KHZ and it should be fine.

Dave Lindberg
    i have had no trouble with 160 on my sandisk 256 so that may be OK too.
    I've been listening to some 192kb/s 44.1kHz mp3 songs off a Panasonic 256M (10X) SD card with no skips at all.

This includes while PocketTunes is playing in the background and I'm in Blazer browsing the web (TMo GPRS).

Bill S
    I had the same problem with "popping" on a Sandisk 256 mb card. I now have a Sandisk 512 mb card and no longer have the problem with the exact same songs. I'd suggest exchanging the card for a new one.
    I have a Sandisk 256 SD and have no issues playing back MP3's at 192 Kbps. I have noticed that the 600 is picking up tangent noise from phone (when moving in / out of GMS cells and when surfing while listening to music).
    I've found that the skipping occurrs when my treo is checking for mail or doing a wireless transaction of some sort.....

ALan
  8.    #8  
    I am using mp3 recorded at 160kbps, and the web is turned off, so it must be the SD card. Will the standard Sandisk 512 really be any better than the standard 256, or do i need an Ultra2 Sandisk card?
    Originally posted by BS Mann
    I am using mp3 recorded at 160kbps, and the web is turned off, so it must be the SD card. Will the standard Sandisk 512 really be any better than the standard 256, or do i need an Ultra2 Sandisk card?
    Avoid SanDisk at all costs. Yes, SanDisk is everywhere. But their memory cards (CompactFlash and SD) are notorious for defects and poor transfer rates. Spend a few dollars more and buy a Panasonic (or a Lexar card if it was made in Japan). Saving ten or twenty dollars now by getting a SanDisk will be poor consolation when (it will) it breaks down and trashes all of your data and corrupts your precious backups.

Would you buy a parachute at a flea market?

Don't compromise on your choice of SD card.
    I used to have the same problem. Once I upgraded to ptunes deluxe, the problem was magically solved. I was also running a Sandisk memory card.
    Originally posted by BS Mann
    I am pretty sure my 256 mb card was corrupt. I don't think it makes a difference whether it's 256 or 512 or Ultra - I just think SanDisk has a notoriously high rate of bad cards. Take the 256 back and exchange it for another 256 or 512 and you'll probably be better off.
  12.    #12  
    Well, now I'm not sure what is going on! I downloaded the version of pTunes you get when you register with Handspring, and it isnt skipping anymore!! MAybe it was a flaws in the demo version of ptunes i downloaded from the palmgear website! Whatever, just glad to hear my tunes without interruptions, time to go burn a few hundred more!
    I've got a similar (but different) problem...

I have a pile of MP3's that were ripped at 96kbps, and a Kingston 512Mb SD card. The songs regularly speed up and slow down as you're listening to them; this is pretty annoying given my musical tastes being largely club music with strong & loud bass.

I'm going to try to turn off wireless and see if the speed issue still exists; however, if this solves it I'm at a loss. I may as well go back to my nomad for MP3's if I can't have the wireless side up & running while the music is playing...

Does anyone else have any suggestions for me?
    Originally posted by WillieB
    I've got a similar (but different) problem...

I have a pile of MP3's that were ripped at 96kbps, and a Kingston 512Mb SD card. The songs regularly speed up and slow down as you're listening to them; this is pretty annoying given my musical tastes being largely club music with strong & loud bass.

I'm going to try to turn off wireless and see if the speed issue still exists; however, if this solves it I'm at a loss. I may as well go back to my nomad for MP3's if I can't have the wireless side up & running while the music is playing...

Does anyone else have any suggestions for me?
    I doubt this has anything to do with wireless mode unless you have a lot of processor intensive activities going on in the background. I've been using PTunes since September with wireless mode on and mail checking and other minor tasks taking place in the background, and have had no problems with music playback. Have you played back the songs on your card using another device or your PC? Also, you may want to reinstall PTunes and see if that resolves your issue.
    From my PC, they seem to play just fine...

When you say reinstall, you mean delete from the treo and reinstall the prc via hotsync, right? nothing more complex?
    Originally posted by WillieB
    From my PC, they seem to play just fine...

When you say reinstall, you mean delete from the treo and reinstall the prc via hotsync, right? nothing more complex?
    yep
    I finally got around to this today... deleting & reinstalling ptunes didn't help; I also had a new SD card, so I formatted it and copied the same song to it - also no joy.

I'm going to re-rip the song tomorrow (the CD is in my office) and see if it's just that file...

While I wait, has anyone else heard of this problem?
    I got my Treo 600 Saturday and got a 256MB SD card today. I formatted it in the Treo and then used a USB card reader to write a bunch of MP3s to it. I popped it into the Treo and started having problems- when I hit the Home button, the screen would go all white for 10 seconds, then I'd see the applications. Going to Card Info also caused a long delay. I ran PTunes and it seemed OK until I tried to do other things in the foreground, when it started skipping terribly. I reformatted the card and transferred the MP3s using a hot sync instead. This time everything is normal; no more delays, and the MP3s play fine in the background. It turns out that I had just copied the MP3s into the root of the SD card. When I copied the files using hot sync, the MP3s went into a subdirectory called Audio. Maybe this has something to do with it? Also, when I now try to read the SD card in my card reader, I see subdirectories Audio and Palm, but I get errors if I try to see the files in those directories. Strange???
    Dear seanriddle,

If you want to try to add MP3's to your card without doing a HotSync every time, try...

With some USB Card Readers, you actually have to tell the card reader to "close the session" like you do when writing to a CD. You can copy the data to the card, but you may get data loss and weird things happening if you do not "close the SD Card session" after writing the data. Check with your SD Card manual, but if you have a card reader icon in your tray (if using a PC), just right click on it and you should see a menu that has an entry to "Safely Remove Card"... click it and then click the drive you want to "eject/unplug". This should close the session and you probably will have no more issues with it.

Dave Lindberg
    Dave-

Thanks for the reply, but I always use "Safely Remove Hardware" before I unplug the card reader. The weird thing is that when I formatted the card in the Treo and put it in the card reader I got errors when I tried to read it. I also had problems formatting it in the card reader- but it turns out the default was FAT32. I changed that to FAT and it formatted fine and I am now able to copy files to it and read from it, and the Treo plays the MP3s just fine.