Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I bought the Treo 600 from Sprint in late November 2003 and was extremely happy with the functionality of the phone. However, two weeks into owning the phone, a "faded area" about the size of a dime appeared in the lower central portion of the phone. Because it was such an expensive phone (and was virtually brand new) I debated as to whether or not to return it. I had already purchased and loaded a lot of software in the short time I owned the phone (and had customized it to my needs), so I opted to just deal with the defect.

Unfortunately, after owning the phone for 6 weeks, I accidently dropped it onto a carpeted floor from a height of about 5.5 feet. To my horror it severely damaged the screen. It now sports a bright yellow spot in the lower right hand of the screen and a blue band that covers the entire lower right and lower central part of the screen. It is now completely useless for playing games, surfing the net, and it is very difficult to use most of the other palm features. (I can't see where or what I'm typing because these blue and yellow areas completely blank out what would, otherwise, be visible on the screen.) The phone should have survived this minor fall without damage. This tells me that the screen may be too fragile to handle the common mishaps that all cell-phones will experience from time to time.
    If you have equipment replacement program with sprint, it's only a $35 deductible to have it replaced. If you don't you should sign up for one and then make your claim.
    Mine has been dropped three times and the subject of a good dose of water one time and it still works fine. Crap happens. Ben

----------------------

Originally posted by gmanboston
    I bought the Treo 600 from Sprint in late November 2003 and was extremely happy with the functionality of the phone. However, two weeks into owning the phone, a "faded area" about the size of a dime appeared in the lower central portion of the phone. Because it was such an expensive phone (and was virtually brand new) I debated as to whether or not to return it. I had already purchased and loaded a lot of software in the short time I owned the phone (and had customized it to my needs), so I opted to just deal with the defect.

Unfortunately, after owning the phone for 6 weeks, I accidently dropped it onto a carpeted floor from a height of about 5.5 feet. To my horror it severely damaged the screen. It now sports a bright yellow spot in the lower right hand of the screen and a blue band that covers the entire lower right and lower central part of the screen. It is now completely useless for playing games, surfing the net, and it is very difficult to use most of the other palm features. (I can't see where or what I'm typing because these blue and yellow areas completely blank out what would, otherwise, be visible on the screen.) The phone should have survived this minor fall without damage. This tells me that the screen may be too fragile to handle the common mishaps that all cell-phones will experience from time to time.
    Mine came with a slight tinge of yellow on the right side of the screen. It's like a yellow fade coming down from top to bottom. I have noticed other ppl mentioning this. Now, I'm wondering if it's because the screen was pushed or crushed during shipping that causes the face.

I have hardware Revision C and I read that most of the C's have this yellow fade.

People reading this post, can you check yours? It's probably easier to see if you change your background color to a darker color.

I just checked it again. Seems like it runs around the whole frame. Basically most of the sides have this brightness yellow tint, but the right side has more. If you go to Preference/General, change the color to Chocolate/ Rain/or Blue and you will probably see something. Even if you leave the background white, you can also see it.

Please post your experience with this problem. thanks.
    I also have this slight fade to yellow on thr right side of the screen. It's not enough to be irritated about yet, but if it gets any worse I will definitely raise hell for a replacement. Another thing I notice is that when I have the number pad on the screen if you look above the numbers (most obvious on the "2") the button sort of has a shadow of itself up above where the real button really is. It's sort of like the colors "bleed".

My ESN # ends with a "C" so I guess that means I have a revision C series?
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    I wouldn't call it a fade to yellow on mine (rev C), but a fade to "lightness." The edges of the screen seem lighter than the rest. Is this do the the lighting being placed and reflected from around the edge?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I called in to sprint about a dime size discoloration on the left middle part of the screen, and without further hesitation they put in an order for a replacement. It should be here in a couple days. You should do the same. I think the warranty period is 90 days.
    The best way to check if you have this on your phone is to turn on the camera and cover up the lens so it's completely black. If you see any discoloration on the lcd, it's a defect.
    What? Sprint gave you a replacement? They swore to me they couldn't until I took it to a store with the phone in stock -- but none do.

What's the deal?
    mason,
    You should call in again. They're feeding you a bunch of bs.
    When I called in they gave me the option of either taking it into the sprint store or placing an order for a replacement on the phone. Basically, what happens when you take it into the store is that the technician will place the order for you so essentially the same step as if you had ordered it yourself. I asked if he can swap out the phone with what they had in stock, but was told that they are for purchase only.

So, I recommend you call tech support at sprint (not handspring)and claim it under your warranty.
    Are you talking about the equipment replacement warranty that you pay for or the standard warranty with the phone?
    Also,
    This problem with the screen seems to be a wide spread problem. I see posts everywhere, even on other forums, regarding this problem. Who else has experienced this? I seriously think that there is a manufacturing defect with the phone's lcd. Perhaps a hotspot or something. Please, you all with the same problem chime in.
    no,
    not the equipment replacement.
    I spoke with technical support. I believe the equipment replacement is a separate department.
    It was definitely a warranty replacement.
    Originally posted by treosome
    no,
    not the equipment replacement.
    I spoke with technical support. I believe the equipment replacement is a separate department.
    It was definitely a warranty replacement.
    I have the same screen issue as yours. when you get your replacement, please post as to whether your replacement unit has this spot or not. Thanks
    I have the same screen issue as yours. when you get your replacement, please post as to whether your replacement unit has this spot or not. Thanks
    Will do.
    Within the first week my screen developed a 2 pixel black horizontal line as well as a yellow 1 pixel vertical line. The phone worked fine otherwise.

I called Sprint (purchased via phone directly) and after a long run around (I won't bother you will all the details - I might cry) and many calls I finally got a replacement phone sent to me. I started the process on 12/13 and my new phone arrived 1/6.

There is hope just be diligent. BTW: it was a normal warranty replacement.
    It is now embarrassing to show off my Treo 600!! I have two, large ugly spots on my screen that do nothing by annoy me. I went to the Sprint Store and there was nothing they could do until they had them in stock. I wish I could just get a new one sent to me. I took a pic for you guys to see. Anyone else have spots in the same areas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yup,
    Those look like my spots. Except mine are in a different area. So this tells me that it has nothing to do with a specific hot spot underneath the screen, b/c the placements seem to be random.
    hmmmm...
    jtreob,
    I just got back from a sprint store and noticed that their floor model had no such spots when viewed in darkened camera mode. The screen was all black, spotless.
    Treosome,

The one you saw in the store, was there even the yellowish tint coming aross from upper right corner to the bottom right corner?

Actually, I think my screen has a border of yellowish tint. Sorta like an empty picture hollow picture frame. It goes across on all four sides - the Right side being the strongest and the top being the weakest. The tints on the left side and bottom side are the same.

I wonder if this has to do with the lights shining in that lights up the treo.
    Originally posted by The123
    Anyone else have spots in the same areas?
    I have a similar spot, but in the upper right corner just about where the top right icon in the application launcher screen appears.
    I noticed it the other day, in the afternoon - I'm 100% sure it wasn't there earlier the same day, and in the meanwhile my Treo 600 has been lying in my pocket without being thrown around or hitting any hard surfaces.

Christopher
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast