1.    #1  
    I work for a public radio station and we are looking at getting a Treo 600 on Sprint for special project. Someone will be taking a several month bicycle tour across the country (so-cal to fla). She will be taking pictures for the website, emailing them to me, and calling in with reports. I don't think any camera phone has a good enough camera to make me happy, so she will use the camera on the phone only as a fall back. That said, here are my questions, I really appreciate anyone who can take the time to help me out:

-if a photo is taken with the internal camera, how easy is it to email?

-if a photo is taken with an external camera, on SD card, how easy is it to email?

I'm guessing that vision data service doesn't work on while roaming on Verizon. This prompts several questions:

-can it fall back to non-vision data service (slow) if roaming on verizon?

-if no data service is available, is there some way queue messages, and have them automatically delivered when service is available (or manually delivered for that matter...)

Finally:

-am I completely barking up the wrong tree? I like that the Treo has a built in camera for fall back, but I'm not wedded to Sprint, PalmOS, Handspring, etc... If you have a better solution, I'd love to hear it.

EDIT: Thought of another question: She could be 7-10 days between being able to charge it, though the phone would be off most of the time. Would the battery last? Is there some kind of external battery that could be used to keep it going?

thanks,

Geof
    -if a photo is taken with the internal camera, how easy is it to email?

-if a photo is taken with an external camera, on SD card, how easy is it to email?
    If you use SnapperMail, both cases are very easy. I'm not sure how the HS mail client handles this, though I found its attachment support lacking when I tested it.

I'm guessing that vision data service doesn't work on while roaming on Verizon. This prompts several questions:

-can it fall back to non-vision data service (slow) if roaming on verizon?

-if no data service is available, is there some way queue messages, and have them automatically delivered when service is available (or manually delivered for that matter...)
    I haven't been off the Sprint network yet, so I'm not sure about Vision and Verizon. However, if Vision is not available, the pictures can simply be saved on the SD card until Vision is available again.

Thought of another question: She could be 7-10 days between being able to charge it, though the phone would be off most of the time. Would the battery last? Is there some kind of external battery that could be used to keep it going?
    I can easily get more than a day out of mine, with moderate data use. If she's careful about turning off the wireless mode when she's not sending data, it may last much longer. I don't have much experience here though.

Handspring has an external battery in the works (http://www.handspring.com/products/P...003&cat=310004), though it's not yet available.

Good luck...