Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1.    #1  
    RealPlayer 10 for the Treo 600 smartphone will also be available from RealNetworks by Jan. 31, 2004.

    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040107/sfw081_1.html
    trd_pp
  2. #2  
    Why would you be willing to pay a dollar for each song when you can get it for free.

    I know the music industry is getting robbed, but i dont feel bad about it when they've been charging $18 for a $3 CD for the last 15 years.
  3. #3  
    I can think of at least two reasons. One for those who prefer to do the right thing, and one for the self-interested among us:

    There is no inalienable right to music, so to acquire under any terms not approved by its owner is wrong.

    If you acquire a song outside an approved method, you can be sued for thousands of dollars for each song thus acquired (in this country).
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by ptoofan
    Why would you be willing to pay a dollar for each song when you can get it for free.

    I know the music industry is getting robbed, but i dont feel bad about it when they've been charging $18 for a $3 CD for the last 15 years.

    Dude, don't start a thread on this subject... This thread is about RealPlayer for the Treo 600 not your opinion on music and downloading and not paying for music.

    -- Vikram
    Treo 600 <a href="http://vikrampant.com/treo600/">Blog/Moblog</a>
  5. #5  
    Will the Treo version stream real media files?
  6. #6  
    ok MP3-heads, I'm presently using PocketTunes and MusicMatch as my combo - I use MMatch to rip my CDs onto my PC, and then I manually drag the MP3s over to my SD card reader, and then I place the SD card into the 600, and off I go.

    Will the REAL player make that process better/smoother/faster? And does it really matter? In looking at the REAL site, it gives the indication that using their PC player in conjunction with the Palm device player, will somehow result in a more integrated experience - that music files will get automatically sent over to the palm, a la iTunes and the iPod. Anyone using this yet, and how is the experience?
    Thanks.
  7. #7  
    The press release says it will play realaudio files, so I assume you will be able to listen to streams.

    I hope so, since I was hoping the Treo would be able to do this when I bought it.

    The shoutcast streams on pTunes are great, but there is so much more content in realaudio.

    I wish it also played realvideo files or at least the content real is supplying to sprint phones with java (though perhaps it does - I guess we'll learn more by the end of the month).
    http://tigerbeat.textamerica.com moblog

    http://ari.typepad.com blog
  8. #8  
    With this real player 10 on my Treo 600, does that mean I will be able to listen to the live college basketball games I subscribe to via Real, over my Treo 600 instead of having to be teathered to my PC?

    Buddy
  9. #9  
    HATE Realplayer, but would be interested in more audio stream. Still prefer Pockettunes and Mp3 streaming audio.

    Bump.
  10. #10  
    mhh ... i wonder why the symbian platform gets a videoplayer on their phones e.g. nokia 6600 and we only get an audio player.

    @nrosser : you could make that process a bit faster by using Softick Card Export, it allows you to transfer MP3's to your SDcard at a decent speed without having to take it out of the phone. But then again you can get SDreaders a LOT cheaper than the 25$ they're charging for the software
    water created humans to carry it up hills
  11. #11  
    yep, I checked out that app from Softtick a while back, and since I already had the cardreader (for my digicam), it pretty much made no sense to drop some coin on a redundant function.
    Thanks for the tip tho....
  12. #12  
    Originally posted by buddy
    With this real player 10 on my Treo 600, does that mean I will be able to listen to the live college basketball games I subscribe to via Real, over my Treo 600 instead of having to be teathered to my PC?

    Buddy
    In my teenage girl voice "Ohmigawd" ... I didn't even think about using my Treo to listen to college bball !!!

    Damn I wish AT&T would hurry up with unlimited data.
    Treo 600 <a href="http://vikrampant.com/treo600/">Blog/Moblog</a>
  13. #13  
    Has anyone else tried installing it? It uploads, but when you try to run it, it complains that

    "The system is missing features required to run this application, or the system support is out of date."

    It looks like the PalmOne releases have built-in files that RealOne requires? Custom libraries perhaps? Anyone have these?

    -j
  14. #14  
    > "The system is missing features required to run this application, or the system support is out of date." <

    This is happening because you're trying to install the RealPlayer for regular Palm devices. The RealPlayer 10 for the Treo600 isn't released yet, it looks like -- despite what http://www.realnetworks.com/industri...s/player/palm/ says. I have a question in to tech support on why their site implies you can download the new realplayer for the Treo600 now. If the info is just there by accident, not to worry: Real has promised the Treo600 version will be out by the 31st of Jan.

    The RealPlayer for regular Palm devices won't work on the new Treo, and I think it's because the Treo doesn't use the ARM processor that older Palm/PalmOne devices are based on.
  15. #15  
    Actually, my guess is that the only tweaks needed for the Treo 600 version are

    1) Resized graphics for a 160x160 screen
    2) Change hardware support to turn off screen.

    The sound APIs are the same, and the OMAP processor in the Treo is very similar to what's in the PalmOne Zire 71.
  16. #16  
    RealNetwork now reports that the Treo 600 will be supported AFTER January 31st.

    http://www.realnetworks.com/industri...s/player/palm/

    cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

    Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  17. #17  
    Well, here it is, February 1, Groundhogs Day Eve, and NO REALPLAYER for Treo 600! We have been led down the primrose path. Primrose, I say! Feh.

    Anyway.

    I too have pockettunes and it is good for most things, but so far Shoutcast doesn't have a round-the-clock BBC World Service channel. Especially if it's free, RealMobile will add some nice options.

    I don't store MP3s on my device, and I don't carry stereo headphones around with me, so music on the Treo 600 isn't that big a consideration for me.

    I AM curious to see what the streaming video looks like. I can't imagine it would be very good, but anything is better than nothing.
  18. #18  
    This is the response I received from Real today (I sent an email on Saturday the 31st)......

    Hello!
    Thank you for contacting RealNetworks Technical Support.

    I am sorry to inform that Treo 600 is not yet supported by RealPlayer
    10 .

    We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

    We appreciate your interest in our latest products, however, we
    maintain a policy of not commenting or speculating on any possible future
    products.

    RealNetworks posts all relevant information about current product
    releases on our Web site. Please visit it at:

    www.real.com

    periodically to get the latest about RN.


    I request you to keep visiting our website www.real.com for latest
    advancements made to our products and services.

    ---------------------------------------------------

    If you have any other questions, or if we can be of further assistance,
    please feel free to contact us.

    Regards,

    Roopa V
    B2K Corp.
    RealNetworks Authorized Support Provider
    If you understand, things are just as they are. If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

  19. #19  
    You folks are playing with fire by using streaming audio.

    I use bandwith monitors and enforce excessive bandwidth consumption for a company, and I see first hand the amount of traffic that streaming media can generate. On a particular day when we had a new user hogging bandwidth using a P2P (which he was diciplined for), he was STILL using less bandwidth that day than the streaming audio users (which we permit). Yes, even when users choose 56k bitrates, the top several high-hitters on our network are streaming media users.

    When one of you gets hit with that large Sprint bill, please let us all know what level of bandwidth you had to hoard to trigger their AUP violation. (It ain't gonna be me).

    ADDITIONALLY, as far as music sharing, WHY IS IT THAT I CAN BUY A FULL LENGTH MOTION PICTURE DVD FOR WAY LESS THAN A SIMPLE MUSIC CD? Doesn't anyone see any problems with this? The recording industry is RAPING each and every one of you. It will be a cold day in HELL before I buy a music CD for more than 10 bucks (you guessed it, I don't buy music, at all, ever. I'll stick with my satellite radio commercial free). It's a silent price fixing monopoly. OF COURSE THERE'S GOING TO BE A BLACK MARKET FOR THIS CRAP, and RIGHTLY SO in my opinion.
    ----------------------------------------
    mk3cn4 uses a Treo 600 with ReqWireless Web Browser (others are useless IMO), Snappermail, Xiino, PalmVNC... and is a big infone fan. Cheaper and magnatudes better than Sprint's 411 ripoff, www.infone.com.
  20. 666
    666 is offline
    666's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    #20  
    Originally posted by mk3cn4
    You folks are playing with fire by using streaming audio.

    I use bandwith monitors and enforce excessive bandwidth consumption for a company, and I see first hand the amount of traffic that streaming media can generate. On a particular day when we had a new user hogging bandwidth using a P2P (which he was diciplined for), he was STILL using less bandwidth that day than the streaming audio users (which we permit). Yes, even when users choose 56k bitrates, the top several high-hitters on our network are streaming media users.

    When one of you gets hit with that large Sprint bill, please let us all know what level of bandwidth you had to hoard to trigger their AUP violation. (It ain't gonna be me).

    ADDITIONALLY, as far as music sharing, WHY IS IT THAT I CAN BUY A FULL LENGTH MOTION PICTURE DVD FOR WAY LESS THAN A SIMPLE MUSIC CD? Doesn't anyone see any problems with this? The recording industry is RAPING each and every one of you. It will be a cold day in HELL before I buy a music CD for more than 10 bucks (you guessed it, I don't buy music, at all, ever. I'll stick with my satellite radio commercial free). It's a silent price fixing monopoly. OF COURSE THERE'S GOING TO BE A BLACK MARKET FOR THIS CRAP, and RIGHTLY SO in my opinion.
    gotta agree with you, i don't understand why everyone is so looking forward to streaming audio on the treo. with the bandwidth restrictions in place it just ain't gonna work & over here in the UK where unlimited (100mb per month) costs us 45 it definatly isn't practical!

    the only reason i want real player is because the average song size is approx 5mb when mp3 and 1mb when on real media & add to that that most of my music is already in real format for online streaming it then makes much more sense than pocket tunes!
    now if only they'd release the treo version AND make it available to the UK
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions