1.    #1  
    Obviously this would be a great choice to have. However, is it possible and/or practical?

---

OS 6 BIG feature? Multitasking!!! ;-)
    "I see dead pixels..."
    The Treo 600 has flash memory, so technically speaking, yes it is possible.

Is it likely? No. Why? There are two main barriers to this: The Handspring Old Guard, and the carriers.

HandSpring had some fundimental objections to upgrading the firmware. With the Treo line, they finally relented and at least started shipping with flash memory, but this was primarily due to support and bug fixes, rather than upgradability. They see the functional life of a device like this as being about a year and a half. If you want to upgrade, buy a new one.

The carriers are another obsticle. It takes a while for a phone to be certified on a carrier, and OS 6 would make this (basically) into a new phone, requiring recertification. That is a lot of work, with very little profit motive on their part. Plus, each carrier would probably want their own build, just like they have with new Treo 600s.

In the end, it ain't gonna happen.
    [i]They see the functional life of a device like this as being about a year and a half. If you want to upgrade, buy a new one.
    [/B]
    I got no problem with that. I'd be lying if I said that any of my PDA's have lasted for over a year. And to be honest, I love this little Treo so much that the instant they offer it with a hi-rez screen, I'm buying one (of course, I want OS 6, voice memo, and bluetooth along with it...)

As I've tried to explain to my wife: I don't booze, I don't gamble, I don't chase women. OK, so I have a little electronics problem...so what?

It's a victimless crime!

Besides, I get acceptable prices for my used PDAs on eBay, since I take tender-loving-baby care of them, and they are still cutting edge technology when I go to sell them.

See? we ALL win when I help stimulate the economy like this.
  4.    #4  
    I see the truth of it now!

This is my first Handheld since the original Apple Newton Messagepad. It took A LOT to bring me back into the fold (upgrading a crappy old cell phone, had some extra cash, wanted a picture phone with good J2ME capability, MP3 and PIM were exras).

I'll probably wait a year until someone makes a Treo 600 look-alike containing this:

http://www.canesta.com/products.htm

---

BTW, I'm typing this on a laptop in a Starbucks. Everyone else connected is using Starbucks' WiFi. Not me, I'm hitting the Web with my Treo 600 and good ole PDANet.

OWHATAGEEKIAM!
    "I see dead pixels..."
    However, is it possible and/or practical?
    Is it possible? - probably
    Is it practical? - possibly
    Is it probable?- probably not

Does that clear it up?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Like you, my vices are not too bad. The handheld, motorcycle, things like that. My advantage - the wife has a Treo 300 and is looking to up to a 600 and she has an Intruder 800. So, I have it just a bit easier.

Ben

Originally posted by
    thegasguru

As I've tried to explain to my wife: I don't booze, I don't gamble, I don't chase women. OK, so I have a little electronics problem...so what?

It's a victimless crime!

Besides, I get acceptable prices for my used PDAs on eBay, since I take tender-loving-baby care of them, and they are still cutting edge technology when I go to sell them.

See? we ALL win when I help stimulate the economy like this.