1.    #1  
    Like many I've been biding my time, hoping to buy a T-mo Treo600. I'm a current Cingular customer. This weekend I was at a mall with stores for both, so I stopped in to ask some questions. The T-mo rep was quite knowledgable and friendly, and he said that probably late Jan, early Feb they would be done with their initial testing of the units (the corperate release) and would be ready for a retail release. He said that if I was a new customer, signing a contract etc, there would most likely be a rebate, which is what I wanted to hear.
    So, I headed over to Cingular, and talked to these two jokers.. wow, they were clueless. Didn't know the product, or the service questions I had. I asked, basically, how interested Cingular would be in keeping me as a customer, as in, I'll be jumping ship if I have to pay full retail for a Treo plus higher data plans etc. They immediately started showing me the coverage maps, but for the eastern corridor coverage is virtually the same. And then one of them said that Cingular would be merging with T-Mobile and possibly AT&T anyway. My ears perked up, because to me things means: good price on the Treo when T-mo releases it, good pricing on plans, and if/when they merge I'll get the whole cingular network anyway. I dunno, sounds pretty ideal to me?

I asked them how, in that case, defecting to T-mo could possibly not be in my best interest? The rep, sort of looking as though he made a tactical error by revealing that, backtracked and said that 'well, who knows what will happen to t-mo customers during the merge' sort of ominously. I asked "yeah, like what?" but he had nothing.

Cliff Notes: Anyone know anything about this supposed merger? At the least, it sounds like we have only a month to wait (and at this point, what's one more month?)

Edit: Okay, I see a lot of rumors online about the possible mergers. my thought was that maybe these guys, working for Cingular, got a employee briefing on what's real being planned?
    Don't believe ANYTHING about the merger until something is officially announced by the companies themselves.

And if the two guys were clueless about the products they were selling, what makes you think they know anything more about the behind-the-scenes working of the corporation?
  3. NBP
    Most likely, nothing is imminent. The likely scenario is that Cingular buys AT&T Wireless. Any combination of all three GSM providers is most unlikely due to the Feds.
    what he probably meant is that you can conveivable merge their coverage area. You can roam between cingular and t-mobile in areas where only one is the carrier. I believe this may be the case with AT&T as well.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I dabble a bit in stocks... IMHO, T-Mobile's best bet would be to buy out ATT Wireless and gain market share. T-Mobile is the largest GSM carrier in the world...
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    I used to work for at&t wireless as a contractor 1 yr an 5 month ago, and they where talking about this merger. i guess they are stil talking - I think treo 900+ with built in dvd player will be out before the merger is gona happen
    Originally posted by bleuquila
    And then one of them said that Cingular would be merging with T-Mobile and possibly AT&T anyway.
    I've been through a couple of mergers (including the infamous HP-Compaq merger... Don't ask!) One thing that is clear from this is that due to SEC regulations, even very senior management will only learn about a merger the same day that it is announced to the press. The average Joe working in a company retail location will probably know about the merger some hours after you do!

Still, the market's due for a bit of consolidation, so they may even be right, though it would only be by chance!

DS
    Originally posted by bleuquila
    And then one of them said that Cingular would be merging with T-Mobile and possibly AT&T anyway.
    I've been through a couple of mergers (including the infamous HP-Compaq merger... Don't ask! ) One thing that is clear from this is that due to SEC regulations, even fairly senior management will only learn about a merger the same day that it is announced to the press. The average Joe working in a company retail location will probably know about the merger some hours after you do!

Still, the market's due for a bit of consolidation, so they may even be right, though it would only be by chance!

DS