Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there any way to disable the warning message "Wireless Mode is off. Would you like to turn it on?" It seems like a *complete* waste of time to have to click through that useless window every time I want to make a call or get on the net.
    I thought there was a check box in that alert to allow you to not be prompted again in the future. If not, on my Sprint T6, if I go to Prefs/Network, then hit menu/Options/Preferences, there's a check box Ask before connecting... If you uncheck it, you shouldn't see the alert anymore.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Arognlie-- but that doesn't work. The prompt I'm talking about appears whenever I try to do *anything* wireless, including the phone as well as the data services. The Network Preferences menu you're talking about concerns making a data connection once you're *already* in "wireless mode," and it allows you to disable the warning about connecting to the *internet*. But that warning is completely separate from the prompt about turning wireless mode on (as I said, the wireless mode prompt appears any time I turn on the the Treo's phone, whether it's to make a call or use data services). So I still need some advice!
    Originally posted by bluetreo
    Thanks Arognlie-- but that doesn't work. The prompt I'm talking about appears whenever I try to do *anything* wireless, including the phone as well as the data services. The Network Preferences menu you're talking about concerns making a data connection once you're *already* in "wireless mode," and it allows you to disable the warning about connecting to the *internet*. But that warning is completely separate from the prompt about turning wireless mode on (as I said, the wireless mode prompt appears any time I turn on the the Treo's phone, whether it's to make a call or use data services). So I still need some advice!
    I am very confused by what you are talking about.

You are getting the error message when your phone is in wireless off mode and you are trying to make a call? Naturally if that is the case you would get that message because you can't make a call if the wireless is off. I am guessing this is not what you are talking about but I have never received the message you speak of.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Neotope. What I'm talking about is not an error message. It's just the normal message that the Treo 600 OBSESSIVELY gives you whenever the phone is off and you try to make a phone call (or check your email or go to a web site): "Wireless Mode is off. Would you like to turn it on?" I want to disable this stupid prompt since it's a complete waste of time to have to click through it every time I do something that requires turning the phone on (I like to keep my phone off as much as possible when I'm not expecting a call.) In other words, when the phone is off I want to be able to dial a number (or log on to the net) and have the phone turn on without asking me if I WANT to turn it on! (Maybe you keep your phone on most of the time so you don't run into this annoying prompt as often as I do.)
    But... don't you have to turn ON your phone to make a call, check email or go onto the Net?!
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I know what you are talking about. You want to know if you can remove the "Wireless Mode is off" Tag in the upper left hand conner of the screen when the wireless is turned off.
    I think I have understood this annoyance from the first post of this thread. The Treo should just turn on wireless mode if it is off when the user chooses to make a phone call. There is no reason to post a nag that wireless mode is off--just turn it on, since this is required in order to do what the user has chosen to do. This nag is not very annoying to me, since wireless mode is almost always on. But since the nag is useless, I would have the wireless mode turned on automatically without the nag if I knew ho to do it.

Rich
    Treo 600 (Cingular)
    T-Mobile SIM w/T-Zones
    Fireblade
  9.    #9  
    Thanks Ralogan-- at least you understand my problem! :-)

For the rest of you, let me spell it out again, step by step:

My phone (aka "wireless mode") is off. I want to be able to just click on a phone number in my contact list and have wireless mode come on automatically without being interrupted by a stupid prompt asking me if I REALLY want to do this!

The way it is now, if my phone is OFF, and I go to "Contacts," and click on a number in my phone book, a message appears filling my screen saying "Wireless Mode is off. Would you like to turn it on?" Well DUH, of *course* I want to turn it on if I'm making a phone call! What I DON'T want is to see this message and have to click "Yes" every time I go through this process (it's the same with checking my email, getting on the web-- anything that requires wireless mode on requires this totally useless, annoying extra step to GET wireless mode on.).

Note that this sort of problem does NOT exist when your phone is already on but you want to take the next step and connect to PCS Vision to go on the net. If your phone is ON, but you're not connected to the net, and you click on one of your web bookmarks (or go to check your email with SnapperMail,) the Treo AUTOMATICALLY connects to PCS Vision without asking you if you REALLY, REALLY WANT to connect to PCS vision.

If you still don't understand what I'm saying, just go through the steps I described. Start with your phone (i.e., wireless mode) OFF, and try to do anything that requires the phone being on (without pressing the wireless mode "On" button next to the antenna)-- you'll see the stupid warning message.

Anyway, as I said before, I think most of you must keep wireless mode on all the time and thus don't run into this problem. I keep wireless mode off since I use my phone only for outgoing calls and for the net, and ALSO because I keep the Treo in my pants pocket and I don't want to FRY my testicles with microwave radiation! :-)
    I get your meaning now. But then what would happen if you were using your Treo on a plane and accidentally clicked a phone number? If it didn't confirm that you really wanted to do that, you could crash the plane! (j/k)

But I think that you're kind of stuck for it. Either you'll have to remember to manually turn on wireless mode (which you can do without leaving your current application) or put up with the alert.
    I see what you mean now. I tend to manually turn my phone on before calling anyone etc. I have locked my SIM card so I first have to put in a password for security. Personally it's no biggie to me having to say OK and press a button. I have it warn me before going online too, I guess I prefer the control - He he!
    I completely undrestood the first post. However, I have to say I'm on the other end of this spectrum. I happen to prefer having that nag screen, as a couple times it has clued me into the fact that wireless was off when I wasn't aware of it. If I'd intentionally turned wireless off and decided to make a call, I'd just manually turn it back on first... I would never even have thought to try to dial a number with it still off. I guess that's just a user preference that differs between us, mostly because I generally always have my wireless mode on.

It's exactly like a "feature" on my mother's AT&T dialup net connection for her PC. If she clicks on the shortcut to IE (or any web link) it will automatically start to dial her net connection. I can't stand this since I often use IE for offline purposes such as HTML editing. It's also probably because I'm used to an always-on connection at my home and work (much like being used to always-on wireless mode on my treo). Now of course I don't want a warning when it attempts to do this, I just don't want it to do it at all. Luckily, the connection program has a setting to disable that functionality. I suppose because of this I can understand wanting to have it (and the wireless mode treo issue) both ways. It should be a configurable option... the only way to make both sides happy. And if it was, it should be enabled by default.
    Sounds to me like you need a palm and a separate phone.

Just seems odd to me that you would keep your phone off. I mean if you want to surf the net without a bunch of extra steps leave the radio on and do so. If you wish to avoid callers turn your ringer off. Although I did see you mentioned the space bar answering from your pocket. Still seems like a waste of half the treo. IMO.

As far a "microwaves frying" anything in your pants I think your kidding yourself. I mean really if these phones were that dangerous, what would compel you to buy one?

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  14.    #14  
    Thanks Woof. I use the Treo mostly as a wireless internet connection and PDA, and occasionally as a phone for outgoing calls. Since I use the wireless mode mostly for data rather than phone, I don't often hold the Treo close enough to my head to get the microwave brain damage that has been demonstrated with cell phones (see http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunhera...on/7282526.htm ). And I certainly don't want to keep a microwave emitting device turned on in my pocket right next to my testicles all day! No, I want to keep the Treo in my pocket turned OFF, and then when I turn it on to check email or surf the web I want to be able to pull it out, press one button, and get my email or web site-- and the only thing standing between me and that is that idiotic prompt! :-) But I guess life isn't perfect....
  15.    #15  
    Jennyfur-- you said "I happen to prefer having that nag screen, as a couple times it has clued me into the fact that wireless was off when I wasn't aware of it." I thought that's what that little green light under the antenna was for? (Although granted its hard to see in daylight.) The green light makes the nag screen totally redundant. But as I said in my last message, life isn't perfect-- in fact, usually if you aim for absolute perfection you just end up making things worse (as I've learned far too often from installing buggy software that I don't really need). So I'll just live with that nag screen and learn to *love* it! :-)
    Originally posted by bluetreo
    Jennyfur-- you said "I happen to prefer having that nag screen, as a couple times it has clued me into the fact that wireless was off when I wasn't aware of it." I thought that's what that little green light under the antenna was for? (Although granted its hard to see in daylight.) The green light makes the nag screen totally redundant. But as I said in my last message, life isn't perfect-- in fact, usually if you aim for absolute perfection you just end up making things worse (as I've learned far too often from installing buggy software that I don't really need). So I'll just live with that nag screen and learn to *love* it! :-)
    Uh no. The green under the antenna means data mode is on. On a CDMA phone data on means no calls.

The antenna being shown means wireless is on.

Turn your wireless mode off, see the antenna go bye bye.
    .... I don't often hold the Treo close enough to my head to get the microwave brain damage that has been demonstrated with cell phones (see http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunhera...on/7282526.htm ). ....
    And aliens built the pyramids...

Seriously I read that article very closely. Nowhere did it sat that cell phones have been shown to cause brain damage.

All it says is "might", "possibly", and "maybe".

And I still don't see why you would want to turn wireless mode off.
    Originally posted by dgoodisi

Seriously I read that article very closely. Nowhere did it sat that cell phones have been shown to cause brain damage.

Glad you take safety precautions !

The first cell phone study, funded by the industry, didn't give them the results they were looking for. People dying of brain cancer, catscans showing antenae center load patterns in the brain, so they hired another study and precisely worded it to cause confusion and disbelief.

The first study said there was a direct correlation of prolonged use and the likelyhood of developing tumors, cancers, etc..

It was televised I recorded it for prosperity.

Of course, by the amount of threads I see about wireless mode nag screens, people will be dropping over from stress before cancer kills them!
  19.    #19  

Uh no. The green under the antenna means data mode is on. On a CDMA phone data on means no calls.

The antenna being shown means wireless is on.

Turn your wireless mode off, see the antenna go bye bye.

Really??? Are we both talking about a Treo 600 (Sprint CDMA)??? Let me quote from the Sprint Treo 600 manual (p. 27): "Turning Wireless Mode On-- Press and hold the WIRELESS MODE BUTTON [the button next to the antenna according to diagram on p. 24] to turn on Wireless Mode. You will hear a series of ascending tones and the phone displays 'Welcome' and then 'Searching for Service' until it locates a signal. At this point, Wireless Mode is on and you're ready to begin making and receiving calls...." (end of quote).

That's what the manual says, and that is exactly my experience: when the phone is totally off and there's no green light, if I then press and hold the button next to the antenna, the phone connects to the Sprint wireless network, the green light goes on, and I can make a phone call. But if I then try to check my email or visit a web site, the Treo goes through the ADDITIONAL 10 second process (complete with its own annoying progress window) of "Connecting to PCS Vision." Only AFTER I am connected to "PCS Vision" is it possible to anything with data (email, web, etc.). Maybe I'm crazy, but it certainly seems that the green light indicates only that you are connected to the wireless network, and that a connection to internet/data (i.e., Sprint's "PCS Vision" service) is over and above the mere wireless connection and has nothing whatsoever to do with the green light.

Further proof: when your green light is ON, go to the main Treo Prefs and select "Network." At the top it will say "Service-- PCS Vision." At the bottom is a little click box that says "Connect" if you're not connected to PCS Vision, and "Disconnect" if you are connected. Now go ahead and click on that box to connect or disconnect to PCS Vision. Notice that when you change from connected to disconnected (or vice versa), absolutely NOTHING changes with the green light-- it just stays calmly on, blinking away. QED. :-)
  20.    #20  

Excuse me? "Dr. Lief Salford of Lund University in Sweden... reported in June that cell phone radiation damaged neurons in the brains of young rats. The study showed cells in the parts of rats' brains that control sensation, memory and movement died after being exposed to various cell phones at different levels of radiation for two hours."

[You can read Salford's entire article at the U.S. Government National Institute of Health web site here: http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/members/2003/6039/6039.html ]

Maybe we're not rats, but we sure are mammals-- and as long as it remains true that "no government agency vouches they are safe" I'm not going to make MYSELF into a lab rat to test the safety of cell phones. Ask yourself this: if cell phones are safe, why is the U.S. government right now "preparing to launch a multimillion dollar investigation into potential cancer-causing or toxic effects associated with the phones" ???

Again, I turn wireless mode OFF so I can keep the Treo in my pocket without risking testicular cancer (or if I were a woman, ovarian cancer). We have absolutely no idea what these microwave-radiating devices are doing to our bodies in the long term. The FDA says "if there is a risk from these devices-- and at this point we don't know if there is-- it is probably small." Gosh, that's reassuring!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast