Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Whilst searching for some memory for a design I am working on, I came across this tidbit
    Micron Technology is quite proud that it supplied the cameras for the T600. Now, not meaning to whinge, but the performance of the camera in low light conditions isn't eaxtly something I would be proud of.. but these guys are.

For those interested, this is the actual chip.
    Bored? Visit my <a href = "http://www.darrenking.com">website </a>
    The data sheet for the camera is interesting. It indicates that developing an app to manually control exposure, focus, white balance etc shouldn't be that difficult. It's just(!) a matter of writing the correct values into the control registers. However I don't suppose there are any PalmOs/Handspring extension APIs to do this, so we'd need to know where the camera chip fits into the memory map...
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    You could also contact Sean and tell him how great the camera really COULD have been:

Product Media Relations Manager
    Micron Technology, Inc.
    [phone # removed]

Or just email him @: [email removed] (I just did.)

[TreoCentral does not allow the posting of emails or phone numbers in the forums.]
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 01/07/2004 at 01:18 PM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    tgabber:

I'm reading the docs here, and this is very exciting.. if we can write to the registers, we should be in buisness! bigH managed to changes the JPEG quality, and I didn't see any reference to how to do that in the Treo600 Developer's guide.. if he's figured out how to change these values we may have some very happy treo users!

(not to get anyone's hopes up)
    I smell something very good possibly about to happen here.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Originally posted by treosixoo
    I smell something very good possibly about to happen here.
    Quoting in an effort to increase hope -- may the Chupacabra camera tools dream come true.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Does that mean that someone could write a program to make the Treo a Video Camera too?
    Before video, let's improve the camera. My UX-50 (Sony clie) has about the same size camera .3mp I believe and it takes decent pictures. The Treo pictures... Ehhh...

Mike
    Originally posted by tgabber
    The data sheet for the camera is interesting. It indicates that developing an app to manually control exposure, focus, white balance etc shouldn't be that difficult. It's just(!) a matter of writing the correct values into the control registers. However I don't suppose there are any PalmOs/Handspring extension APIs to do this, so we'd need to know where the camera chip fits into the memory map...
    Actually, there is an api for it:

Err CameraLibRegisterGet Function (UInt32 reg, UInt32 * valueP) to get the register values, and
    Err CameraLibRegisterSet Function (UInt32 reg, UInt32 value) to set the new values - so it should be a piece of cake.
    stigrett, where did you find that? I don't see it in the documentation or the header files. Actually, I can't find any of the Camera 'driver' functions in a header... Just the ImageLib stuff. But the ImageLib methods aren't mentioned in the documentation (just the existence of the header).
    Originally posted by arognlie
    stigrett, where did you find that? I don't see it in the documentation or the header files. Actually, I can't find any of the Camera 'driver' functions in a header... Just the ImageLib stuff. But the ImageLib methods aren't mentioned in the documentation (just the existence of the header).
    I can't find it anywhere either.. (mind you I'm a java programmer pretending to know what I'm doing, but I definatly couldn't find that anywhere!)
    Originally posted by Luna
    Does that mean that someone could write a program to make the Treo a Video Camera too?
    The problem with this is the time it takes the Treo to compress the picture data. You've probably noticed the time it takes to save a JPEG image in the camera app - several seconds.

You could create short clips using uncompressed picture data but as each frame takes approx 600k a blank 512Mb SD card could hold less than a minute's worth of video at 15fps. That's assuming that your SD card can handle a sustained write transfer rate of just under 9Mb/sec which I think may not be possible. If it is you could then post-process this video to compress it.

-----

cameralib.h doesn't seem to be part of the current Treo header extensions on the Handspring site. Would love to know where to get it from.
    Last edited by tgabber; 01/08/2004 at 02:52 PM.
    It's documented in the Treo 600 developers guide @ pluggedin.palmone.com, starting on page 457. The header file, CameraLib.h, however, isn't included in the header files download. I've emailed devbugs@palmone.com & will update this thread when I get a reply.
    Originally posted by stigrett
    It's documented in the Treo 600 developers guide @ pluggedin.palmone.com, starting on page 457. The header file, CameraLib.h, however, isn't included in the header files download. I've emailed devbugs@palmone.com & will update this thread when I get a reply.
    That's interesting, this is a new version of the developer's guide from the one I downloaded just before Christmas.
    Originally posted by tgabber

That's interesting, this is a new version of the developer's guide from the one I downloaded just before Christmas.
    You and I were both looking at the draft version I guess. I just downloaded the 1.0 document from palmone, and it has all kinds of good stuff! Forgive me for doubting you stigrett
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    You could create short clips using uncompressed picture data but as each frame takes approx 600k
    When I take a picture with no compression, the size comes out to be 214k. Is a video frame bigger in size? Where did you get 600k?

I used to have a digital pen camera that could take 30 seconds of video at 15fps at 320x240 resolution. It was a $50 dollar camera. Can't a Treo do the same?

There's gotta be someone out there that has the right programming skills to come out with a video recording program!

If the camera chip is capable of 30fps then it should be pushed to it's limits and be a decent camera/video recorder for the Treo
    Originally posted by Luna

When I take a picture with no compression, the size comes out to be 214k. Is a video frame bigger in size? Where did you get 600k?
    640 x 480 x 16bits per pixel = 4,915,200 bits = 614,400 bytes = 600Kb

What do you mean by 'take a picture with no compression'? AKAIK there is no way to save a picture from the Treo camera other than as a jpeg. Do you just mean setting the jpeq quality to 99? That's still compressed just not as much...
    Originally posted by stigrett
    You might want to try compiling their camera sample app (from the plugged in website). Although in looking at this, I don't see how it could compile given the header files they provide. None of the headers contain prototypes for the routines that are called by the sample camera app.

In short, the sample app needs cameralib.h.

H
    Originally posted by bigH

You might want to try compiling their camera sample app (from the plugged in website). Although in looking at this, I don't see how it could compile given the header files they provide. None of the headers contain prototypes for the routines that are called by the sample camera app.

In short, the sample app needs cameralib.h.

H
    Indeed... also tried loading the pre-compiled camerasample.prc and it caused a soft-reset...
    You could go this route: Veo camera

The only thing is that this really spoils the ability to grab a shot in an instant, plus no flash.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast