1.    #1  
    I've only recently got around to ripping CD's to mp3 and using Ptunes on my Sprint T600. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to run just about any apps except phone while listening to music, including surfing on Blazer. Is this kind of multitasking or does the T600 use a dedicated chip for the mp3 decoding and playback?
  2. jah
    I have had great luck multitasking with PocketTunes and the Treo 600.

The only choppiness I've noticed comes when I'm using HandPainter Pro to illustrate mobile.links.net. If I export a BMP image from that program to the memory card, then the MP3 plays haltingly. For only about 20 seconds. No problem - it's actually usually somewhat amusing.

So this would lead me to believe that there's a bottleneck with SD card communications? I could play MP3s and BackUpMan to test that I suppose.
    Originally posted by newtreouser
    I've only recently got around to ripping CD's to mp3 and using Ptunes on my Sprint T600. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to run just about any apps except phone while listening to music, including surfing on Blazer. Is this kind of multitasking or does the T600 use a dedicated chip for the mp3 decoding and playback?
    I believe it is a type of multitasking, most likely using an Armlet (a bit of native Arm code in an otherwise emulated OS). Gone are the days when a dedicated chip was required (like the OS4 Sonys).
    I copied 200MB of MP3's from my Mac to the SD card yesterday, so today listened to digital music on the T600 for the first time. It is really cool to be able to listen to music from a smartphone!

But it seemed the quality of the audio wasn't close to what I'm used to from my (old) iPod. Would this be due to just my limited testing... or is the audio sampling/amplifer/(?) sub-par in the T600??

Even if it were, would be hard to complain about this one ... it's great to be able to listen to music with the T600, even if to just block out loud ambient noise at the airport, Starbucks or wherever...
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    Originally posted by sbell22
    But it seemed the quality of the audio wasn't close to what I'm used to from my (old) iPod. Would this be due to just my limited testing... or is the audio sampling/amplifer/(?) sub-par in the T600??
    you're right about the sound quality here. I compared side by side w/my ux50 both using aeroplayer, same eq settings, same mp3's, and same headphones... the ux50 blew it away!! can't complain though since the treo does so many other things well!! more like a "perk" whereas the ux50 is marketed as more of a multimedia machine than the treo is. I think the sony has a dedicated sound chip though ??? makes a HUGE difference, but the sound is still acceptable for a smartphone.
    -- berto
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by bertopl

you're right about the sound quality here. I compared side by side w/my ux50 both using aeroplayer, same eq settings, same mp3's, and same headphones... the ux50 blew it away!! can't complain though since the treo does so many other things well!! more like a "perk" whereas the ux50 is marketed as more of a multimedia machine than the treo is. I think the sony has a dedicated sound chip though ??? makes a HUGE difference, but the sound is still acceptable for a smartphone.
    What are you using to listen on the the T600? Stereo earphones or through a cassette adapter via car stereo? Also what kind of encoding and bit rate?

I am using a cheapo $29.95 Sony stero earbud in which I cut off the 3.5 mm plug and spliced in a 2.5 so I don't have to deal with the adapter (which I'm afraid to use due to fear of hurting the Treo). I am using Media Jukebox ogg encoding. There are 5 quality settings and so far I don't think I can tell the difference from the lowest to the higher ones. But then I don't have the best ears. I'll have to play with it some more and pick the best one for me to use. One thing with the stereo earbuds.. you can still make and receive calls by using the 600's mic while keeping the buds in your ear.
    Originally posted by newtreouser
    What are you using to listen on the the T600? Stereo earphones or through a cassette adapter via car stereo? Also what kind of encoding and bit rate?
    to be fair, I used the same pair of in-ear sony headphones with both the treo & ux. don't remember the model number, but they sound great with mucho BASS and high's on the ux, very clean sounding too. using the handspring branded adapter to hook it up. standard mp3s @ 128kbps. the headphone's are the kind that sit in your ear like earplugs, can't really hear that much outside sound even w/no music coming out of them. but turn up aeroplayer on the ux and they simply rock!!
    -- berto
    I have been a 15gig iPod user for almost a year and I will never give it up for the Treo. However, after I copied the iTunes Equalizer settings to my Treo which is basically the same as my iPod's EQ settings, I couldn't tell the difference in quality between these two. They both Rock!

I also find that I am now listening to the Treo more often than my iPod because you can hear the music thru the speakerphone. My PocketTunes are prettty much on all the time with over 100 songs in my playlists
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    NewTreoUser,
    Any chance for some more description as to what you did soldering up the new connector? I've tried with no luck.

Thanks
    Treo Rat & all,

My wife is intrested in downloading and playing songs with iTunes (for Windows). I'm trying to figure out what the restrictions are on these downloaded MP3s. The only real restriction I've seen on the iTunes website is that the songs can only be played on 3 computers. I suppose it meters it in the iTunes software. They say there is no restriction on buring the songs to CD. But the only discussion on the iTunes website of listening to the songs on a portable MP3 player is with the iPod. Is it possible to listen to these downloaded iTune MP3s with the Treo (or another portable MP3 player, such as the Rio for example)?

Thanks for your advice...

-Mike
    Pen+Paper > Treo300 > Treo600 > Treo 700p
    Originally posted by MikeP
    Treo Rat & all,

My wife is intrested in downloading and playing songs with iTunes (for Windows). I'm trying to figure out what the restrictions are on these downloaded MP3s. The only real restriction I've seen on the iTunes website is that the songs can only be played on 3 computers. I suppose it meters it in the iTunes software. They say there is no restriction on buring the songs to CD. But the only discussion on the iTunes website of listening to the songs on a portable MP3 player is with the iPod. Is it possible to listen to these downloaded iTune MP3s with the Treo (or another portable MP3 player, such as the Rio for example)?

Thanks for your advice...

-Mike
    the only mp3 (not that the tune your download from itunes are mp3s) player itunes supports directly is the IPOD.

theoretically, you can burn a playlist to a cd (only 10 times though, and then you have to rearrange the playlist). Take that cd and rip the songs from it to mp3 and then moved them to the sd card.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Mike,
    If you are referring to the music you bought at iTunes, they are in AAC format and will not play in your Treo or any other MP3 player like your Rio. They can only be downloaded and played on an iPod. However, you can get around this by burning them first, in MP3 format, on a re-writable CD and copying them back to your PC but don't put them back in your iTunes library. You should create a separate "Music" folder somewhere. I did this on mine so it's easy to make changes on your Treo MP3 files later on which you probably will because of its limited memory compared to the iPod. I have a 256 meg SD card and I still find it inconvenient trying not to overload it with music I've been transferring from my iTunes library.
    Last edited by Treo Rat; 01/09/2004 at 03:13 PM.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Has anyone tried converting the AAC files with dBpowerAMP? It's a freeware app that lets you directly convert AAC-to-mp3. It also can convert wmv fiels to mp3/oog or whatever! Might be a better solution rather than burning to CD and then copying etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I think the sound quality is kinda weak compared to my MD player. But I do love to be able to listen to music anywhere & not have to have a whole load of extra stuff to carry with me. I also LOVE being able to wake up to MP3's on my T6 - that is the best!
    This dB PowerAMP sounds very interesting. The issue with the AAC files on iTunes is that they have DRM (Digital Rights Management) imbedded into them. The only way to get rid of it and make the files "generic" is to burn them to an audio CD (which converts them to uncompressed PCM files) and then re-rip them to MP3 from there. You lose any tagging information in the process. From my experience (mostly with Windows Media files) any attempt to convert directly from one compressed format to another won't work because of the DRM copy protection. If a piece of freeware has gotten around this problem, please, Don't tell the DRM people!
    Last edited by Raschied; 01/10/2004 at 10:50 AM.
    I've been playing around with different ogg quality settings. The treo seems to have difficulty handling ogg files when the quality setting is set above 0.6. And the treo overall runs more slowly with higher quality settings. Even with an ogg file at the lowest quality setting, the treo is sluggish compared to the treo running an MP3 at 128kbp/s. I am guessing that decoding ogg files is much more processor intensive that decoding mp3s.
    <<I also LOVE being able to wake up to MP3's on my T6 - that is the best!>>

how do you do that? does PTunes have a timer built in? or am i completely clueless here??
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)