1.    #1  
    If I get 60 emails a day on average and they are pushed to Chatter, my Treo goes crazy continuously as it receives the emails throughout the day- BEEP, BUZZ, etc. The UI is also 'cluttered' with messages.

What is the best way, or maybe it needs to be an enhancement, to use Chatter as both an IMAP mail client and IM client?

Snappermail using POP works pretty well for this- it gets mail every hour and will give you an alert that you have new mail. I agree with Marc that IMAP is a better protocol for the Treo mail, but there needs to be a better way to manage it without it being an annoyance.

I am now back to using Snappermail with POP instead of Chatter with IMAP until I can find a better way.

Ideas? Marc?

Thanks.
    You need to get the latest beta with folder settings. You can control what mail in specific IMAP folders actually gets sent and you can control the alert "tone" (set it to none if thats what you want,) syncronization, and many other features.
    myline = Treo650 w/SprintPCS
  3.    #3  
    Are the alerts specific to a folder or to the entire Chatter application? For instance, I want to be alerted with IM's differently than when new mail arrives.
    Are the alerts specific to a folder or to the entire Chatter application? For instance, I want to be alerted with IM's differently than when new mail arrives.
    Yes, unique alert tones are set at a specific folder/contact level so that they all sound different.
    myline = Treo650 w/SprintPCS
    Hi...

Why don't you shoot me an email and we can discuss what you need? Are you signed up for the imap discussion list? Do you have the latest private beta?

Marc

chatsw@mailcan.com
    I think a key feature would be ability to filter messages pushed to the Treo by sender. I am currently reluctant to use a Treo for my Exchange corporate email because I get so much spam (which I currently filter out using Qurb running on my desktop Outlook client). Would it be possible for Chatter to check the sender address and only push the message to the Treo if it came from a defined list of senders, e.g. from within my corporate domain or from someone on my contacts list? Messages from outside the defined sender list could be not pushed, just give the ability to review the headers, delete the spams (propagating these deletions to the server) and if desired download only the legit messages.
    Greetings:

Under the current (non BETA version), what I end up doing is use Chatter so I know to use SnapperMail.

Marc, for the IMAP email, it might be nice to just get from and subject line... then the ability to get more... not sure... maybe an option setting.

Thank you.
    =====================
    Peter M. Abraham
    Dynamic Net, Inc.
    http://www.dynamicnet.net/
    Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Greetings:

Under the current (non BETA version), what I end up doing is use Chatter so I know to use SnapperMail.

Marc, for the IMAP email, it might be nice to just get from and subject line... then the ability to get more... not sure... maybe an option setting.

Thank you.
    I use chatter as my almost exclusive mail client (no POP3 access) on the Treo. Using server side folders and procmail, most of my mail is sorted so only essiantial (and the occasional spam) gets pushed to the Treo.

I wish Snappermail had IMAP support so I could use it to view attachments and longer messages.
    Pete
    I get quite a bit of real mail and lots of spam during the day. I vote to have the to and from displayed and maybe even the subject line. If necessary, an option then. I have found myself responding to mail that I was cc'd to as a courtesy that was not addressed to me. So, the to/from is important to me.

Ben

Greetings:

Thank you.
    what is procmail?
    A Unix mail rules program, similar to Outlook's mail rules I guess

If from sender A move to folder A
    If Subject contains x move to folder B

etc
    Pete
    Greetings:

Our company has SPAM preventation that typically cuts out 95% of the SPAM (we had one customer go from 800 SPAM messages per day to under 5); and we tag the rest with SpamAssassin (http://www.spamassassin.org/).

The reason for using SnapperMail for the actual mail retrieval is the user interface.

I love the instant notification of Chatter, but the UI of Snappermail is closer to the desktop interface I'm used to at the office (desktop).

Thank you.
    =====================
    Peter M. Abraham
    Dynamic Net, Inc.
    http://www.dynamicnet.net/
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Marc, in an effort to maximize battery life, I've turned off the background email option. This has made a very noticable difference. However, would it still be best to "shutdown chatter" when I'm not actively using it, or does it not draw any extra juice sitting in the background?
    You'll get 90% of the savings by shutting down background email... But really, email shouldn't be eating up that much battery, I'd think... (The next version will be even better)

Feel free to shoot me an email if you want; maybe there's some sort of problem related to your email...

Marc
    There is a setting that allows you to specify the size of the message to be downloaded. In the "Folder settings" options, look for "email Load" and enter a value there that is between 1000 and 16000. I want the entire message, hence I have it set to 16000. Too many options make it very difficult to manage. For those messages that Chatter is unable to properly handle, I use Snappermail.

Ben

--------------------------

Greetings:

Thank you.
    Originally posted by PeteEMT
    I use chatter as my almost exclusive mail client (no POP3 access) on the Treo. Using server side folders and procmail, most of my mail is sorted so only essiantial (and the occasional spam) gets pushed to the Treo.
    Me too, exactly. Now I'd like to pick up mail from those other folders sometimes. But I also get a fair amount of "regular" mail that clutters up Chattter. Having my email SENT from the Treo in the inbox is a bit annoying - I have to get the new "folders" beta and try that out.

What I wish is that I had an easy hook into sending pictures from the camera via Chatter. Everytime I want to send mail with the HS Mail client, it wants to check my pop3 account first and has to timeout on that before it will send...