Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    Last night I was chatting with someone on the lap top and my Treo came on and AOL started to send messages to the Treo as though I was using it to communicate as well as to my laptop. I could not figure out how to stop this dialogue on the Treo.

    Could someone please tell me how to avoid this when I'm on the laptop and chatting.

    Thanks.

    P.S. I get this prompt from the AOL Admin but I'm not clear what I'm suppose to do so I delete the message.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  2. #2  
    You should be ale to log off your aol account on your treo or set it to the "away/busy" status, then you will only get the IM on your PC. and vice versa.

    This new AOL "feature" lets you log onto your IM in two places. Very annoying.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Felipe,

    You would think it would be simple. But I still can't seem to keep the messages from being duplicated to the Treo. Very annoying. I had to delete over 400 SMS' last night.

    Went into the AOL Away Message section like I was told to do and tried to change it but it still is doing it. Ahhhh

    P.S. I'll send the New Yorkers a hollar this weekend from my blog site. We're planning to come to Manhattan Saturday for a birthday party.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by Felipe
    You should be ale to log off your aol account on your treo or set it to the "away/busy" status, then you will only get the IM on your PC. and vice versa.

    This new AOL "feature" lets you log onto your IM in two places. Very annoying.
    Is this a new feature? And is it default? I'm forever logged on to AIM from my Treo, but the moment I start IMing from my PowerBook the messages on the Treo cease.
    Truth is good, knowledge is power and it's the second mouse who gets the cheese
  5. #5  
    You can be connected in multiple places on AIM at once now:

    It delivers IM's in this order:
    If Client A is idle/away and Client B isn't, the IM's go to Client B
    If both Client A and Client B are in the same state (either both idle/away or both active) the IM's go to both.

    What I did was set my Treo to always be Away/Busy so the IM's came to my PC and when the PC was in away mode, they'd both get the IMs. But I had Privacy Preference issues (people showed as blocked that werent) so I ended up just using a seperate screen name for the Treo.
    Pete
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by PeteEMT
    What I did was set my Treo to always be Away/Busy so the IM's came to my PC and when the PC was in away mode, they'd both get the IMs. But I had Privacy Preference issues (people showed as blocked that werent) so I ended up just using a seperate screen name for the Treo.
    Where and how do you do this? I must be overlooking something in the settings because I do not see this option on the Treo or in the AOL IM settings.

    Thanks.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  7. paz5559's Avatar
    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    #7  
    Although you all may not remember, it is actually a useful feature for the following reason - in the old days, if you left home and neglected to turn off aol before you left, you were unable to sign onto aol from another location. This was partticularly annoying in the days of visor modems, where you needed to bring along your keyboard, modem, extra batteries, etc, only to discover, when you were all set up, that you had left aol on at home, and couldn't sign on anyway!
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by paz5559
    Although you all may not remember, it is actually a useful feature for the following reason - in the old days, if you left home and neglected to turn off aol before you left, you were unable to sign onto aol from another location. This was partticularly annoying in the days of visor modems, where you needed to bring along your keyboard, modem, extra batteries, etc, only to discover, when you were all set up, that you had left aol on at home, and couldn't sign on anyway!
    I like the old way. It was never a problem with verichat. verichat would kick me off and vice versa.

    It might be a verichat issue, cause even when i sign off i don't

    IVYrose,

    love your blog.

    You are lucky, when I sign up it at home I get:

    AOL System Msg: Your screen name (FelipeG955) is now signed into AOL(R) Instant Messenger (TM) in 2 locations. Click here for more information.

    http://www.aim.com/password/routing.adp
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  9.    #9  
    Getting back on topic for anyone else who might experience this dilemma.

    I needed to actually enter a SMS message to make the changes to elect the "Away Message" there in the SMS program and not from the laptop. Simple but not obvious to me.

    Thanks Jaggrey for helping me figure things out.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by paz5559
    Although you all may not remember, it is actually a useful feature for the following reason - in the old days, if you left home and neglected to turn off aol before you left, you were unable to sign onto aol from another location. This was partticularly annoying in the days of visor modems, where you needed to bring along your keyboard, modem, extra batteries, etc, only to discover, when you were all set up, that you had left aol on at home, and couldn't sign on anyway!
    I think you are referring to 2 Different things. The AOL service only allows one user to be signed on at a time per account, in the old days they blocked additional logins and put up an error message. Now they (or used to, it's been awhile since I used AOL) ask for information to confirm the account is yours and then kick the original user off. This is for the AOL Service itself.

    For AIM (AOL Instant Messenger, just the buddy list and IM's. Also what Verichat,Chatter,Trillian,Jabber etc use) in the past 1 login at a time was allowed, if you tried to login a second time you were auto kicked off the first automatically. Ie: logged in PC at home , log in Treo, PC is kicked off. Under the new schema, you can be signed in at Home and the Treo at the same time.

    BTW For GeekyMom, I use Chatter, but as you discovered there is an SMS for Away mode
    Pete

Posting Permissions