Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I have t600 hotsynced to a mac and my hotsync "install hand held files" dialog shows a bunch of txt,pdf and doc files that dont install to the t600

when i look in the t600 applications , i see the following:

adobe reader
    docs to go
    palm reader

shouldnt these files just sync to the 600 and be viewable in these programs?

thanks for your help
    nope.

I don't use adpbe reader for palm, but you need to convert the pdf first. I would assume the conversion (pdf to something that is usable on a palm) would be included in the adobe palm download.

palm reader will only read palm doc file (not the same as MS doc files) and memos.

If you only have the doc 2 go that came with the treo, you will only be able to view MS doc files if you send them to yourself via email. the regular doc 2 go comes with a desktop component that will let you transfer files over to your palm and either convert them or keep them in their original format.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    thanks for the reply.... this is really confusing and not at all intuitive to me.

...shouldnt there be software that i can install on the treo that will read any basic txt file that i drop into install manager? I'm happy to pay for it...

i went to dataviz to upgrade the ersion of 2go that came with my 600 and they only have a windows version of docs togo. but since you said something about desktop conversion, i figured this wont work for me on a mac.

Its that all these readmetxt files and support files are piling up in my install manager from the many softwares i have installed.... makes no sense that all this software installs fine and then the support files are stuck in limbo...

stilldocless
    I believe that doc 2 go will read txt files natively, but not really sure.

BTW, doc 2 go does have a mac client.

From their FAQ:

Does Documents To Go Premium Edition run on a Macintosh computer?

Yes. Documents To Go runs on Power Macintosh computers with OS 9.1 and above, including OS X.

Until recently, palms didn't read any files natively they had to be converted first. Now they can do it if they store the file on external memory.

There are a several application that will convert a txt file into a palm doc file which you can then sync to your treo and read with palmreader. I dont know of any for the mac though. Sorry.
    Felipe
    Originally posted by omoanya
    I have t600 hotsynced to a mac and my hotsync "install hand held files" dialog shows a bunch of txt,pdf and doc files that dont install to the t600

when i look in the t600 applications , i see the following:

adobe reader
    docs to go
    palm reader

shouldnt these files just sync to the 600 and be viewable in these programs?

thanks for your help
    Acrobat reader for PalmOS requires desktop conversion. However DTG6 supports native MS word and txt files, PalmDoc, Powerpoint etc...basically almost everything. However I still prefer Palm Reader for ebook reading b/c of the interface....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    So, is the deal that any PDF attachments sent via email to the Treo600 can NOT be opened with anything?

Does anyone know if anyone plans to fix this?
    Originally posted by Zaud
    So, is the deal that any PDF attachments sent via email to the Treo600 can NOT be opened with anything?

Does anyone know if anyone plans to fix this?
    correct, a pdf file sent to the treo cant be opened. It needs to go through some conversion first.

From Snapper , there is this:

Can I open PDF files with SnapperMail?
    Only devices with Picsel Viewer built-in to the ROM (predominantly Sony Clie PDAs) can view native PDF documents save to the memory card. This application is NOT available as a purchasable add-on. Other than this app there's nothing on Palm OS that can open PDF files in native desktop format. As a workaround for text content, you can convert a PDF attachment to a text message by forwarding it to a conversion server (pdf2txt@sun.trace.wisc.edu). For further details, check out the Adobe web site.
    Felipe