1.    #1  
    I find my thumb cramping and I am constantly correcting my typing. Maybe I am in the minority, but the slightly bigger footprint didn't bother me...the 600 keyboard is too cramped.

Julie
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    Of course a bigger one will always be better. I miss my desktop full size keyboard when typing on the treo. But you shouldnt have to type 50 page essays on it, so it's no big deal.

It's meant to be small. That's the point. If you don't like it I'm sure there are many people on waiting lists who would be glad to take yours off your hands and you can use your caveman 300 again.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    The 180/270/300 keyboard is slightly better, but the Treo 600 does have domed keys and also software that compensates for typing errors, so it's not too difficult to adjust to after a month or so.

In light of all the extra fantastic features, there is no way a minor thing like this would bother me.

Maybe the Treo 700 could be a couple of milimeters wider to allow for a slightly wider-spaced keyboard and also a wider hi-res screen?
    Though I would agree a higher res screen would be nice, I really wouldn't want to see the unit get any larger. I think what makes the 600 so awesome is that it's dimensions are so close to that of a "normal" cell phone and it packs in so much more.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    I am with you on that. I miss the keyboard on my 270. I was an SMS fool back then. Now it is too much work on my Treo 600.

Hope they make a little better compromise on the next version.

Other than that - the Treo 600 is awesome.
    yeah, used a T300 for a year and miss the keyboard too. But the T600 is so much better in many departments!

I found that 'KeyCaps' helps a lot (mentioned elsewhere on this forum). Faster Caps and special characters. You hold the key down just a little longer to get a cap, and double-click for the special character. You can setup/fine tune the timing.

For maximum typing speed, I've found it works to hold the T600 with both hands, largest 3 fingers of both hands behind the T600 & sort of cradling the bottom of the unit (by the sync connector) with both pinkies, then thumb-type with both thumbs.

For less intensive usage, I find the T600 works excellent for one-handed typing and light-data data entry/manipulation.
    Last edited by sbell22; 01/08/2004 at 09:05 AM.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Actually there were several advantages to the Treo 300 body, and I do not see why they cannot bring out a Treo 700b that is based on that body.

Advantages of the Treo 300 body:

better keyboard
    protection to screen
    flip placed the antenna far away from head providing low SAR, compared to the Treo 600's high SAR (radiation)
    less face grease on screen
    could accomodate larger screen...say the Treo 700 looks like the 600 with 320 x 320 and the Treo 700b looks like the Treo 300 with 320 x 400, for example. And the cover could itself become a keypad or a screen to complement the backlit screen below!!

While it is true that one looked more nerdy with the 300, I'm already married and the look was fine with me.
    If the next treo's thinner but wider for a better screen and keys, I'd definitely upgrade.

And I liked the flip because of the protection and how I could hold the phone between my shoulder and ear. Can't really do that with the t600 or any other phone out nowadays because they're so small.

OH..and strangely, even though the t600 keyboard's smaller and I feel like typing's tougher, I'm actually more accurate than I was on the t300. I think it has something with the dome-shaped keys.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
  9.    #9  
    I love the functions of the 600 as well - didn't mean to imply otherwise. I just find myself SMS'ing less and taking fewer notes because of the pain in my right thumb. It'll be interesting to see what HS/Palm does with the design for the next version...maybe different versions of the new model?

Cheers!
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    I used the Treo 300 for about a year. I liked it better than the Handspring Digital Link because of the keyboard, smaller size and integration. But to get those things I had to give up the clarity of the screen of the Handspring Prism and the expandability. It was worth it.

I've now had the Treo 600 for 3 months. At first I missed the Treo 300 keyboard, but I've now gotten used to the T600 keyboard. In fact, I pulled out my Treo 300 the other day and started typing on it and it felt awkward.

Add to that all the advantages of the T600 (expandability, smaller size, larger memory, quicker, audio player, brighter screen, and camera) and the upgrade is a no-brainer!

As far as the flip lid, good riddance! It seems to be a nice protection, but the cover got scratched fairly quickly. And the speaker broke after 8 months, happily Sprint gave me a brand new replacement. But the cover always felt flimsy and awkward to have to open all the time.

The keylock on the T600 works fine. I keep my T600 in my pants pocket all the time, with NO KEYS and NO CHANGE and it does not get scratched.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I used a 270 for about a year and a half and I loved that keyboard. I could type very fast and accurate. Now I have been using this 600 for about 6 weeks and still can't get used to it. I have composed or replied to well over 1000 emails and I still type on it like an amateur. Don't get me wrong....I love this device. It is just the keyboard that I have never quite warmed up to.

Kirby

--Posted from my 600 using Cingular Wireless
    I love the 600 keyboard. I gave my 300 to a co-worker the other day and helped him set some things up. After the 600, I couldn't type a thing on the 300. I kept going for the 5-way for moving around, but, oops, it wasn't there. Also, I really like the dedicated applications key on the 600.

My only challenge is that the 600 is significantly heavier and so my hands do cramp a bit more. Or that could be the result of the different size, but I find typing to be just as easy or easier.
    hi, I miss nothing about the 300, I however am crazy about my 600! take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Originally posted by mgauss
    flip placed the antenna far away from head providing low SAR, compared to the Treo 600's high SAR (radiation)
    I thought the 600 was actually good on the SAR rating...what is the number? Also, would antennae placement greatly affect this rating?
    Mike
    Julie,

Pain in the right thumb is an understatement. If I use my right thumb, it always without fail get's wrenched on me. Maybe it's the fact that I am getting old - imagine that.

Anyway, I have found that if I lay my Treo 600 on the desk and type with my two index fingers (instead of my thumbs) I get no "finger fatigue".

Dave Lindberg
    I prefer the 600's keyboard - I can seem to type faster since the keys are closer together. But then again, I prefer a laptop keyboard over a traditional keyboard - I like to keep my hands in one place, with minimal moving around (don't like a mouse for that very reason), so maybe I'm strange.

600 better for me. (and like the others here, I get out my 300 every once in a while, and kind of gaze at it with a puzzled look on my face, like 'huh - I really used to like this thing....'. Funny.
    that's funny, i also look run across my T300 in the closet every once in awhile, and think... i can't believe i used to *like* that little clunker!

i've also thought "i should put that up on eBay"... but I'd hate to inflict it on anyone, it's pretty beat up... and the power adapter plug came apart from one two many insertions.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    i agree. treo 270 keypad is better for me.

i am now using Tealscript for email & SMS.
  19. sio
    Used both the 180 and 270 previously for more than a year. Have been using 600 for the last 2 weeks.

Things yet to get used to with regard to the keyboard:

1. Tactile feedback on the older model is much better and the spacing of the keys allows better instinctive 'feel'.

2. Sometimes look for a specific Application button at the bottom of the device (ala Calender or Phone on the older model) rather than at the top.

3. Still not quite used to option+key's positions. Have to hunt and peck all the time for punctuations etc.

It is getting better with everyday use and expect to reach a level of proficiency close to the old model within the next 2 - 4 weeks.

However, my general feeling is that the keyboard on the older model is still better based on point 1 above but the positioning of the Option+keys are better on the t600 + you can do one handed typing (not quite possible on the older models).