1.    #1  
  2.    #2  
    Not sure if you can see it outside UK without paying so here it is:

Sounding off: David Hewson: Mobile mail mastered

Picking up e-mail through a mobile phone can be messy. Reading messages on that tiny screen is hard enough, but to reply by trying to type your way through the number buttons is truly execrable.

Unless, that is, your phone has a full keyboard. Impossible? A curious little beast called the Blackberry, being pushed by T-Mobile, among others, has a nice colour screen and lots of tiny keys, all where they should be. Handspring, in its last product release before merging with Palm, pulled off the same trick with the Treo 600, a phone-***-handheld computer with a camera in the back.

Nor are we talking big bucks. T-Mobile (www.t-mobile.co.uk) sells the colour Blackberry for £99 if you sign up for a £29 per month voice-and-data plan, including 200 voice minutes and enough e-mail for most people. Alternatively, the device can be bought for £180 and used for e-mail only, which costs £13.50 a month. The Treo is astonishingly cheap at £120, plus £28 a month if you sign up for 120 minutes of voice calls and a similar e-mail allowance, with Orange (www.orange.co.uk).

I admit that I was sceptical. Both are phones of a certain size — compact enough to fit in a trouser pocket, but not a shirt one. Both offer something that, to be honest, I was not sure I wanted — mobile e-mail.

The Blackberry arrived first, and rapidly changed my mind on that last point. This is a very smart device that comes from the world of pagers. It assigns a special mail address that can pick up messages from your normal account and push them straight to the phone. This means they arrive automatically, without any send or receive nonsense, just like text messages. This is delightful.

There are a couple of gotchas. First, the Blackberry’s inbox will one day clog up entirely and, without warning, tell you it is over its limit. And the slightly cockeyed delivery arrangement means that deleting a message on your Blackberry will not remove it from your normal mailbox.

Still, this is a smashing piece of kit. It synchronises with PC organisers such as Outlook, or can be used as a standalone diary, address book and notepad in its own right. It is a doddle to operate, with a scroll wheel to control selections and clicks, so there is no fiddly stylus to lose. To my surprise, you can type quite fluently with that tiny keyboard. Everything worked flawlessly while roaming in compatible parts of Europe, too, picking up foreign data networks without a hitch.

The Treo 600 is a full-blown handheld computer — with a memory-card slot and a decent set of software that can easily be expanded — hooked to a powerful data phone with a camera. It is bulkier, which is only to be expected. The Treo requires a little more work on the part of the owner. The keyboard is a touch slimmer and marginally more fiddly. While roaming in Europe, I had to select the right network manually on occasion to go online. You have to reach for the stylus from time to time, too.

Yet it sailed through e-mail, calendars, games and any other Palm software I threw at it, and has a far better web browser than the Blackberry.

With both products, though, the killer is that little keyboard. With them, e-mail on the move finally makes sense. For those needing full palmtop features, the Treo is definitely the way to go, but consider the more basic Blackberry first. It could be everything you need.
    I had a Blackberry 7230 right before my Treo 600. I returned it.

One big positive with the Blackberry that he missed is, it has a very sleek/thin form factor and comes out-of-the-box with a well-designed, tight-fitting inward-facing belt clip. The unit is so small and thin that is virtually disappears when you wear it on your belt. And the design of the case is such that it is very quick/easy to snap out, and back in. Something Handspring completely missed out on with the Treo (most everyone else in the Smartphone biz seems to have neglected this crucial aspect of ergonomics, too).

The biggest problem with the Blackberry 7230 is that the phone volume is very weak. When you're outdoors (background noise) you literally can't turn it up loud enough to hear incoming callers. And I have no problems with my hearing

Running Snapper Mail on my Treo, I actually like the email application better than Blackberry's. I route 4 email accounts into my Yahoo! mail account; then I POP them from the Treo. When I delete them on the Treo, at the next POP they are deleted on the Yahoo server. But I can still access my email from the web without anything being lost.

The RIM platform/OS is pretty much proprietary, of course. I couldn't have 40+ custom apps, like I do on the T600. But sometimes I think that might be a GOOD thing, lol
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)