1.    #1  
    I feel a bit sorry for asking this as I truly love my Treo, but a few disappointing revelations the last weeks combined with problems I've read about here on the forum, makes me want to stop and ask.

Does the Treo 600 suffer from more hardware problems than other PDAs or cell phones?

Speaking for myself and my own Treo 600 GSM (unlocked, bought from Mobilefly in Singapore), these are my "findings":

1. The screen is off-center (to the left). It has been discussed before, and maybe it's not an error, but it sure looks strange...

2. I've had problems with the sound quality of the phone - a garbling noise appears every 40-60 seconds in the speaker often forcing me to ask the other person to repeat himself

3. The grey plastic cover on the back of the Treo covering something that looks like an external antenna port has fallen off - known fault

4. Yesterday I got the "yellow spot" also discussed on the board; I carry my Treo in my pocket and have not dropped it on the floor or done anything harmful to it.

5. Other than the sound distortion mentioned above, I haven't experienced other problems with either of the speakers, but others have - I can tell from many posts here on treocentral...

6. GSM users in Italy had to perform an upgrade because of several GSM problems

7. The blue dots in the camera view - don't know if it's a fault, but still...

...the list is probably longer, but this is enough for me!

So, I just have to ask: What's going on?

Is everything ok with this PDA, and I am just being unlucky, or do we see a pattern here?
    Do we dare to compare the percentage of "Treo 600 problem units" with for instance SonyEricsson P800/P900, Sony Clie-models, Palm Tungsten models, etc.? Is the T600 any worse (or better?)

/Christopher
    Originally posted by grenness
    Does the Treo 600 suffer from more hardware problems than other PDAs or cell phones?
    I think that it should not be compared to other PDA's or cell phones, but to other smartphones. Having said that, I have not had any hardware problems with the phone. I would hate to think that I am lucky (Sprint-CDMA).

1. The screen is off-center (to the left). It has been discussed before, and maybe it's not an error, but it sure looks strange...
    From Handspring's website:

Why is my Treo 600 screen slightly off-center? Is it defective?

Nope. We designed it that way. All Treo 600 screens are slightly off-center (to the left).

The screen: size vs. symmetry
    In order to design the Treo 600 as one of the most compact smartphones ever created, we had to squeeze the screen, along with all the other components, into a space of 4.4 x 2.4 x 0.9 inches. Rather than make the device symmetrical (and larger), we nudged the screen less than a quarter of an inch off-center, in order to accommodate the other components in minimal space.

During the design phase, our hardware designers toyed with increasing the width of the plastic casing along the right side of the screen (thus centering the screen in a plastic square that was slightly wider on the right), or making the device itself larger, but they didn't like the way that looked. We went with the more attractive option.

Is it a defect?
    No, this has been part of the Treo 600 specification from very early in the design phase.

Our product designers decided on a form factor that maximized the space available in an amazingly compact package. We think they did a fantastic job.

2. I've had problems with the sound quality of the phone - a garbling noise appears every 40-60 seconds in the speaker often forcing me to ask the other person to repeat himself
    Hmmm...I have not experienced that.

4. Yesterday I got the "yellow spot" also discussed on the board; I carry my Treo in my pocket and have not dropped it on the floor or done anything harmful to it.
    Hmmm...I have not experienced that.

7. The blue dots in the camera view - don't know if it's a fault, but still...
    Yep, crapy. But the camera is the feature that I use the least. I really don't care about it.

So, I just have to ask: What's going on?

Is everything ok with this PDA, and I am just being unlucky, or do we see a pattern here? Do we dare to compare the percentage of "Treo 600 problem units" with for instance SonyEricsson P800/P900, Sony Clie-models, Palm Tungsten models, etc.? Is the T600 any worse (or better?)...
    My only other experience with a smartphone is the Kyocera 6035 and I used it for 2 years without any problems. And is not that I don't test it to the limit. I install everything and try everything possible. Again, I would hate to think that I am "lucky".

cash70
    Last edited by cash70; 01/04/2004 at 09:39 AM.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Perhaps you should note when you say "We designed..." that you are quoting someone else rather than speaking from personal experience.

Unless, of course, you;re speaking from personal experience.

In which case...got anything to say about the difference in outgoing voice quality depending on how you're using the phone side of the TREO 600?
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    Perhaps you should note when you say "We designed..." that you are quoting someone else rather than speaking from personal experience.

Unless, of course, you;re speaking from personal experience.

Corrected.

In which case...got anything to say about the difference in outgoing voice quality depending on how you're using the phone side of the TREO 600?
    Yes. I ask on a regular basis about the quality since this is my only phone (no land-line). The only time the other end has noticed a difference is when I am using the phone through the iRock FM transmitter while driving. But that is something I expected.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  5. Jeb
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Perhaps you should read his post more carefully. He clearly states in the beginning: "From Handspring's website:"
    > Perhaps you should read his post more carefully.
    > He clearly states in the beginning: "From Handspring's
    > website:"

Ahem - he added that in direct response to my post:

> Last edited by cash70 on 01-04-2004 at 10:39 AM

But thanks for playing!

Giggle.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 01/04/2004 at 10:09 AM.
    It seems like this list in kind of contrived to be longer than it needs to be. For instance, speaker problems is probably just one item, not two. The off-center screen can be crossed out. Blue dots on the camera I didn't even notice until reading this board. I haven't had any yellow spot issues.

On the contrary, I've been carrying out around without a case since I got it with no issues. I mean it's a touch screen unprotected and it's fine. I have friends that have dropped theirs and it's fine. That to me is a huge measure of build quality.

I'll go read more about the GSM owners in Italy, because I thought GSM is GSM. If it works in one GSM country it should work in all. If it doesn't, then I would think something is non-standard in Italy's GSM. I don't think Handspring should have to take their GSM to each country to test, just like they shouldn't have to their Sprint CDMA one to each city and test.
    My biggest beef with the t300 was build quality. I went through 8 of them in a year. They sucked. Broken speaker. Broken lid. Broken mic. Non-responding touchscreen...etc.

The t600's much better, but still far from perfect. My case creaks and is already starting to lose its paint. The speakerphone's crackling is getting worse

I never had any build quality problems with any other pda or cell phone and I've been through a lot of them.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p