1.    #1  
    I purchased a Sandisk SD card. Formatted it in Treo and set up with Backupman. All seemed fine. Put in card reader and loaded some PRC files on it. When I put back in Treo, said could not read the card. Tried to format it, and format failed.

I took the card back to best buy and exchanged for a new card (PNY as they were out of Sandisk). I formatted it in Treo and set up with Backupman. Again all seems fine!

I haven't yet put in my card reader and tried to load the PRC's. Could that have caused the problem? Is there a trick to loading data or files on a card that I should know about?

Thanks for all help.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I had this same problem with a Sandisk card, but have not had a chance to try another brand.

I bought two Sandisk 256mb cards for $50 each from Best Buy. Sandisk is replacing the first one but I haven't gotten the replacement yet. I'd never opened the second one but it was too late to return it so I thought I'd try it out. My files also get corrupted on the second card when I put it in the card reader!

So, now I'll need to send another one back to Sandisk and hope the replacements work ok. I've read elsewhere on this board and others that the Sandisk 256mb cards are easily corrupted.

I'd be interested to hear how the PNY works for you.
  3.    #3  
    so far the PNY card is fine. I've only used it in the Treo though so far - I guess I'm afraid to put it in the card reader!! At some point I'll screw up my courage and try it...
    I too have been having problems with corrupted files. When using the card reader, and pasting .mp3 files onto the card, some individual files are not read by PocketTunes; occasionally, the Treo will not recognize the card, necessitating a reformat. The problem is most likely to occur when I'm pasting a large number of files.

I'm using a 256k SD card. Is this a function of the card or a faulty card reader? If anyone has been using the card seamlessly for transferring files from the computer, please recommend a card and card reader for me. I've seen in the ads that there are card readers and card readers/writers. Is there a difference between the two?
    Originally posted by neill
    ...I'm using a 256k SD card. Is this a function of the card or a faulty card reader? If anyone has been using the card seamlessly for transferring files from the computer, please recommend a card and card reader for me. I've seen in the ads that there are card readers and card readers/writers. Is there a difference between the two?
    Me too...

I had a Sandisk 512MB card that just went bad and couldn't read or write after using it in my Treo and card reader. I returned it for another Sandisk 512MB card. The new card seems to now have corrupted files which is sometimes "fixed" with a reformat, but later corrupted files appear. I have a smaller Sandisk 256MB card which has less problems. I suspect it is the less than perfect 512MB Sandisk card, but haven't fully determined if that is the problem.
    I have a Sandisk 128mb, a Panasonic 128mb and a Panasonic 256mb SD card.

No problems with all 3 cards on Treo and card reader.

If you are looking for a 256mb SD, I would certainly recommend the Panasonic. I have transferred large amounts of data (comprising mp3, prc and pdb files) many times between the card and my PC using my card reader and it has never failed me. I've also read countless good reviews/comments about Panasonic 256 SD's. The Panasonic 256mb card is known to be very reliable & relatively fast.

My card reader is Apacer's Mega Steno 7-in-1 reader. Works flawlessly.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by cywong; 01/05/2004 at 12:12 PM.
    Another thing I forgot to mention - After having tested many SD cards with chipsets from Toshiba, Sandisk and Panasonic, I would recommend that you AVOID SD cards with Toshiba chipsets if you use the card to do backups on your Treo. Toshiba is very very slow in write speed, unacceptably slow actually.
    I have had problems with Readers from Atech Flash Technology. I used a PRO III on my desktop and a pcmcia on my laptop and both corrupted my SanDisk SD cards that were 256 MB. I did not have a problem w/ an 8 MB card on the PRO III. I have replaced both readers w/ SanDisk readers and have not had a problem since.
    I have two Sandisk 512MB cards that used to work fine with my Treo600 but one by one both have now gone bad and I can't read or write from or to the card after using it in my Treo and my Sandisk 6in1 card reader. I have reformatted and it seems to become okay but then the same problems reappear after a while. Now my problem is I bought the cards on Ebay, so who do I go to for warranty replacement, any ideas? Would Sandisk be responsible for exchanging the cards, after all they are only around a month old.
  10.    #10  
    still no problems the my PNY 256mb card. I use for backups regularly and also load mp3 files from my PC. I'd stay away from sandisk...
    I received my SimpleTech (Panasonic) 256mb SD card from Amazon today ($82.94). I've been adding .mp3 files to my heart's content, and it's been working like a champ. This is a profound relief after my struggles with the "bargain" SanDisk, which would get corrupted more times than i can count when loading my audio books.
    I have a Sandisk 128MB card and a Sandisk 512MB card, and have used both in my Treo, my USB card reader, and my PCMCIA card adapter, and have never had any problems with any of them, or with the cards themselves.

- Mike
    So is the general concensus that if you have the problem of your card needing to be formatted after writing to it in a reader, it may be either the fault of the card or the reader or both, and there isn't really a good way to tell which it is?

I noticed this problem with my card the other night and am trying to determine which to replace first.

The card (an old 32MB SanDisk) works fine in my Treo600, but if I try to write to it from my PCMCIA adapter card (in a USB PCMCIA card reader) it needs to be formatted the next time I put it in my Treo600. Reading doesn't cause a problem.