Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just found this. Maybe yall know about this but here it is Chatopus
    It says you can use aol, msn, yahoo, etc. It only works on palm os over 4.0 (no treo 300!!). So Treo 600 users test it out cause I can't! Later...
  2.    #2  
    Some info:

Q: Does Chatopus support the Treo 600?

A: Yes, Chatopus runs perfectly on the Treo 600. Support for its 5-way navigation button is also coming.

Q: Can Chatopus run in the background?

A: Yes. Chatopus runs in the background, when you have logged in. You could switch to another application, after Chatopus has logged in the server. When a message arrives, you would receive notifications.
  3.    #3  
    bumo
    do a SEARCH
    Chatapus is aweful, it is based on Jabber clients. Setting up is horrible, a waste of time, stay with Chatter.
    chatopus is great!! used it on my ux50 before I got the treo. there really isn't any treo support for the d-pad yet, but good to hear it's coming. I see a lot of people here use chatter, haven't got around to using it yet to compare, but chatopus works great on the treo so far.

keep in mind that unlike verichat, this is a "jabber" server based chat program. it's a little trickier to set-up than verichat, but once done, it's pretty solid. no more annual fees for verichat!! I was having lotsa problems at first, but finding a good stable jabber server was half the battle. the author is really responsive to support and feature requests too, I'd recommend it!!
    -- berto
    Chatter is more reliable, and easier to setup. Used Jabber, imJabber, on PC and Palm.

It is the worst IM client I have ever had the misfortune of using, and I have tried them all.

I tried it, laughed and deleted the thing off my PC, and phone.

No wonder it was only downloaded 157 times, and nobody would even bother writing a review.

Save the space for something useful, if you have Chatter or Verichat.
  8.    #8  
    oh okay! i thought it was new...
    Treoneo:

Thanks for the post! I think there is an updated version.

Don't hesitate to share your findings. There is always something to share !

In the early days of home computers, before users groups, it was pretty trial and error, as far as finding apps that did what you wanted. It was a costly.

The great thing about all the discussion forums is; it will hopefully save you money and solve some woes.

Some people just have to have their opinions heard, even if they cannot add anything useful to the conversation.
    Chatter's IM is done via a dedicated Jabber server, loaded with the latest software and monitored 24/7. In my experience, "free" Jabber servers aren't necessarily the most reliable, and there isn't likely to be anybody around who is interested in the kind of service and modifications that mobile users are likely to require.

What you get with Chatter (WITHOUT an annual fee, btw) is a single client/server multi-IM solution that has been designed from the ground up for Treo users. (You also get one of the most versatile IMAP implementations around in the bargain.) If a user has a problem or a question or a feature request, there's just one place to go.

Having said that, competition and variety are great things. Folks should try out all of the various options and decide for themselves what's going to work best.

Marc
    Not to mention we get great programs like Chatter, excellent support, a truly functioning product, from an author who is there for us ! Thanks Marc !
    I guess I'll have to give chatter a whirl then!! being formerly a ux50 user, I never heard about chatter until I started reading these treo boards again. I like the idea of having a closely monitored chat server, it took me forever to find a decent public one...

still adjusting to finding treo specific software, this board really helps!!
    -- berto
    Berto:
    This forum is *THE* source for Treo-specific software. You should not really need to look any further than here. :-)
    Originally posted by Llynx
    Berto:
    This forum is *THE* source for Treo-specific software. You should not really need to look any further than here. :-)
    thanx Llynx!! I'm finding that out quick!! learned a whole lot in a short period of time reading these boards.. used to visit here back in the day when I first got the treo 270 when it first came out. didn't really work for me so I abandoned it. now that I got a 600 I'm realizing that this line's really come a long way since then!!
    -- berto
    Originally posted by Llynx
    Berto:
    EXCEPT when it comes to IM clients. Then you risk getting flamed if you mention anything other than Chatter.

Originally posted by dlbrummels
    Chatapus is aweful, it is based on Jabber clients. Setting up is horrible, a waste of time, stay with Chatter.
    See what I mean. Flame flame flame.

Chatopus is not awful. Its every bit as mature an application as Varichat or Chatter except when it comes to 5-way support and dealing properly with the T600's keyguard. But then all application developers are struggling with adding Treo 600 support.

Chatter is more reliable, and easier to setup. Used Jabber, imJabber, on PC and Palm.

It is the worst IM client I have ever had the misfortune of using, and I have tried them all.

I tried it, laughed and deleted the thing off my PC, and phone.

No wonder it was only downloaded 157 times, and nobody would even bother writing a review.

Save the space for something useful, if you have Chatter or Verichat.
    So because imJabber sucked big time that means Chatopus does too? Lets be honest, the Treo 300 was a flimsy POS. Drop it once and it was toast. So I guess that means the Treo 600 is also a POS, after all they are both Treos.

Not to mention we get great programs like Chatter, excellent support, a truly functioning product, from an author who is there for us ! Thanks Marc !
    And the lovefest continues.

btw - I am surprised the Chatter lovers out there are complaining about the setup required for Chatopus. Your willing to deal with Paypal and manual setup with Chatter but complain about configuring Chatopus for a Jabber server?

Here's hopefully an unbiased review of the three apps in question.

Verichat - $24.95 with $19.95 per year after.
    http://www.pdaapps.com
    Easy setup. All your IMs route through Verichat's server (Jabber?). If I recall correctly 5-way support is incomplete. Works just fine on the Treo 600. Uses SMS to notify you of incoming IMs should you loose connectivity. Initial purchase can be made through Palmgear or author using Paypal. Subscription renewals most likely through author only, using Paypal.

Chatter - $20 one time fee.
    http://www.imchatter.com
    Most popular on this board. Argueably the best Treo 600 support. Polls Chatter's Jabber server to keep connection alive (reported at every 11 seconds elsewhere on this board, Marc?). This could be a concern regarding battery life. Purchase through author using Paypal (author not happy with premiums charged by Palmgear). Setup a manual process, requiring an email to author for Jabber server account creation.

Chatopus - $14.95 one time fee.
    http://www.chatopus.com
    New version was just released on Jan 4 2003. Manual setup requiring you to use an existing Jabber server account and configure Chatopus for that account. Unlike others lets you configure for multiple Jabber servers (plus in corporate environment, see below). Also polls servers causing possible battery life concerns. Chatopus is a Hong Kong company and receives the same level of community support in asia as Chatter does here in the US. Treo 600s are just becoming available to the Chatopus developers so T600 support is just now being added to the app.

When it comes to usability all three are equal, but different. Each has it's quirks.

I find it interesting the Jabber was so flamed initially; until Marc admitted that Chatter uses a jabber server.

In the US IM has come under fire in corporate america for legal and liability reasons. The issue is that no record of IM sessions exists. Jabber is being used by many companies for IM so they can record all IM sessions. Before spouting invasion of privacy BS keep in mind that the federal government requires some sectors to keep a record of all communications for several years. This includes phone calls, email and IM.

Jabber servers provide an interface to create a user account programaically. There really is not the need for a Jabber client to not provide account creation capabilities as part of the app.

So for Chatter I would recommend adding the following:
    [list=1][*]Support for multiple Jabber servers. The current one provided with the service and additional ones for the corporate arena.[*]Automatic account creation on the server included with the service.[/list=1]

For Chatopus I would add:
    [list=1][*]Automatic account creation on Jabber servers.[/list=1]
    Even people who use the program admit, finding Jabber clients that will support all your IM's is hit or miss, mostly miss.

Chatter's Jabber client has been very reliable.

The whole point is convergence, time saving, etc., searching out, finding working jabber clients, switching to working clients, is a waste of time and money.

I guess if you don't value your time and have lots of it; by all means mess around with Chatopus.

But if you have a working turn-key solution, why would you step backwards ?
    dgoodisi - The comparison is very superficial. Chatter does a whole lot more than IM, for one thing. And it does it a lot differently than either Verichat or Chatopus.

For another, the comment about polling the IM server is entirely wrong. Chatter does check the connection every 7-8 minutes if nothing's come over the line, but that's it. I have no idea what the 11 second thing is.

Finally, I don't see any point whatever in providing access to other servers. Are you implying that access to a reliable server isn't worth $5/year (the difference between Chatopus and Chatter; let's forget all the other things Chatter can do...)??

Whatever!

Marc
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    Wow....this thread is interesting.

If one really likes the idea of open communications and is already using a Jabber client on their PC, setting up and using Chatopus is extremely easy. It does not even require any account setup, as you could continue to use one's existing Jabber account.

For users new to Jabber, it may be a little difficult to learn to use Jabber. This is just similar to many other open-source tools or services. They work great, but they are just a bit difficult to use initially. After setting up your Jabber account, you could be enjoying Chatopus on your Palm together with another Jabber client on your desktop! Rhymbox.com is a superb Jabber client for Windows.

Personally, I have several Jabber accounts, all configured to have the same ICQ account. Doing so, I am actually able to switch between using different Jabber servers. If one public server is really down, I could simply use the other one to continue my ICQ communication. We get redundancy here.

Happy Jabbering.
    My problem with Jabber clients on PC's is that you lose the extra functionality that the standard IM clients provide (whether it's audio, or webcams, or saved histories, or whatever). Losing these things on a phone strikes me as reasonable, given the state of technology today, but I don't particularly want to lose them when they're available.

Just my 2c on this.

Marc
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    Originally posted by mblank
    My problem with Jabber clients on PC's is that you lose the extra functionality that the standard IM clients provide (whether it's audio, or webcams, or saved histories, or whatever). Losing these things on a phone strikes me as reasonable, given the state of technology today, but I don't particularly want to lose them when they're available.

Just my 2c on this.

Marc
    Hi Marc,

A user can choose his or her own taste of Jabber client, as they are numerous Jabber clients available on so many platforms. Some are free and open-source, while some are even commercials.

While it's true that most Jabber clients do not provide any audio or video functions, most of them provide the saved history including other features that one cannot find easily on other IM clones. Indeed, Jabber is an ongoing effort, and there are plans to add audio & video functions soon.

Actually this Jabber client seems to do audio, video and whiteboarding,

http://www.neosmt.com/eng/index.html

Could you share what's your favaourite IM clone for PC? How often do you do video & audio on it?

Tony
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast