Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by asiayeah
    Wow....this thread is interesting.

If one really likes the idea of open communications and is already using a Jabber client on their PC, setting up and using Chatopus is extremely easy. It does not even require any account setup, as you could continue to use one's existing Jabber account.

For users new to Jabber, it may be a little difficult to learn to use Jabber. This is just similar to many other open-source tools or services. They work great, but they are just a bit difficult to use initially. After setting up your Jabber account, you could be enjoying Chatopus on your Palm together with another Jabber client on your desktop! Rhymbox.com is a superb Jabber client for Windows.

Personally, I have several Jabber accounts, all configured to have the same ICQ account. Doing so, I am actually able to switch between using different Jabber servers. If one public server is really down, I could simply use the other one to continue my ICQ communication. We get redundancy here.

Happy Jabbering.

Seems another Chatopus user once again anwered my earlier post. Using Chatopus and public servers, and having to switch between them, when they are down is a waste of my time and money.

I use my Treo and the functionality of the device for buisness.

I don't have the time to play around with the server of the day nonsense Chatopus users are willing to put up with.

In a time critical buisness enviorment, when losses run in thousands of dollars an hour, I don't have time to play that game, suprised anybody with a life would be willing too !

Chatter's Jabber client is a constant, maintained , monitored, updated and available, not to mention very well supported !
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dlbrummels

Seems another Chatopus user once again anwered my earlier post. Using Chatopus and public servers, and having to switch between them, when they are down is a waste of my time and money.

I don't have the time to play around with the server of the day nonsense Chatopus users are willing to put up with.

In a time critical buisness enviorment, when losses run in thousands of dollars an hour, I don't have time to play that game, suprised anybody with a life would be willing too !

Chatter's Jabber client is a constant, maintained , monitored, updated and available, not to mention very well supported !
    Thanks for repeating your view with us.

You may want to setup your own Jabber server and host it in your corporate environment. There are even commercial implementations of Jabber servers around that allow your corporate to do so. Then you wouldn't be losing any mission-critical business. And you would be enjoying a higher security as well. Chatopus is an ideal mobile client for this kind of commercial deployments as well as public users who do not want to tie to any subscription service, especially when there are no other alternative service provider.

Thanks for your valuable time.
    Originally posted by dlbrummels

---------------------------------

I echo that.

-------------

-------------

Too many things to do to pay attention to such details. Not worth the effort.

-----------------

The support is outstanding. The product is outstanding.

Ben
    Originally posted by asiayeah

Thanks for repeating your view with us.

You may want to setup your own Jabber server and host it in your corporate environment. There are even commercial implementations of Jabber servers around that allow your corporate to do so. Then you wouldn't be losing any mission-critical business. And you would be enjoying a higher security as well. Chatopus is an ideal mobile client for this kind of commercial deployments as well as public users who do not want to tie to any subscription service, especially when there are no other alternative service provider.

Thanks for your valuable time.
    The IM necessity if for me, not the buisness, it is my dime, my time. I don't have the time to mess with Jabber servers.

The information I exchange is not at all classified, so security is not the issue. Nothing that is sent through wires, or the air is truly secure any way, it doesn't matter how many bit encryption is used if your being monitored.

The issue is being able to commuicate 24/7 as flawlessly as possible with the least amount of effort as possible.

I have used public jabber clients before. I wasn't amused.

Most user's here use Chatter, it is very reliable. A lot use Verichat cause the interface is familiar.

A lot of people play, and or experiment with apps. These discussion groups are a great place to exchange ideas.

I stay with what works.

This discussion is great, but I have to be up in 4 hrs for work.
    I perused this board LONG before I even had my Treo. When I got it, I decided to try Chatter first as my IM client. It worked perfectly from the get-go on all four services and I hadn't even paid anything yet. Then I got a bonus IMAP client which I now use for all my mail on the Treo (except for sending pictures to textamerica). So I sent in my $20.

I have no desire to switch right now, even though I admit I've not tried any other client. Perfectly happy.

PS> I've also never had any problems connecting or with the Chatter server...
    Last edited by dune; 01/08/2004 at 09:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    So, some users may find Chatter easier to use on the Treo 600 for the time being. They probably won't mind sticking to a single service provider while getting an easier initial setup.

As Marc has said, Chatopus and Chatter are designed in a different way...and each has its pros and cons.

It may be interesting to know that,

1. Chatopus is a real Jabber client, allowing you to connect to any Jabber server. Jabber is becoming an IETF standard, just like the POP3 or IMAP protocol. If users are familar with Jabber, configuring Chatopus is as easy as configuring an e-mail client.

2. Some Chatopus users actually use it to communicate with their corporate IM servers, which support Jabber.

2. Besides Yahoo, ICQ, MSN and AOL, Jabber also provides interoperability with other IM protocols, For example, some users actually use it to communicate with a protocol called GaduGadu, which is a popular IM protocol in Poland. Jabber also interoperates with SIP, Sametime, SMS...etc. Some of those services are readily available as public or commercial products.

3. Chatopus runs on most Palm OS platforms. However, it is not optimized for Treo 600 yet.

I just think both Chatter and Chatopus are good IM products and they are just essential for all mobile Palm users!

Gentlemen, make your choice or use both!
    Last edited by asiayeah; 01/08/2004 at 11:55 PM.
    Would really like to try Chatter, but definately not an app for instant gratification...:

=================
    Hello, Chatterers.

If you have written to request an account, please understand that I
    create accounts only irregularly at this time, and that it may be up to a
    week until I respond with account information. I appreciate your
    patience.

Other requests are typically handled far more quickly!

Marc
    =================

Why not have an automated account creation system?
    fyi, chatter is basically a customized jabber server tweaked to work with the chatter app.
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    FYI. Chatopus 1.4 is just out. Chatopus 1.4 focuses on improving user experiences and answers the some feature requests from users.

http://www.chatopus.com/
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12