1.    #1  
    I have to replace my t600, can I transfer the software I purchased?

Why should I have a backup system? Isn't hotsynch w/my cpt the same thing?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I suppose one reason to have a backup system that uses an SD card is if something happened while you are away from your computer...

When I got my second Treo, I just took the SD card from the first unit, put it in the slot and restored to the new unit. I was up and running with all my stuff in minutes and didn't have to mess around with hooking it up to the computer to hotsync.
    Originally posted by Advance The Man

you can certainly transfer your purchased software to the new machine, but backup systems are still pretty important I think. if you've ever lost data or had a h/w failure you'd understand. I use backupman which backs up the whole system to sd card. hotsync backs up some things but not all things on a palm. backupman was pretty inexpensive, and it'll restore a lot more thoroughly and quickly than restoring from a simple hotsync and recreating some of your settings / preferences etc... highly recommended!!
    -- berto

Most software lisences are locked to the user profile not the device, thus you shoud be able transfer applicatons. The main advantage of backup apps like backupman is the facility to backup from the card instead of hotsync b/c it eliminates the need for a PC which is very conveniant if you're on the road etc. Other advantages include the ability to specifically restore only specific relavant databases/apps instead of everything and the ability to restore to multiple older restore profiles. Thus you can restore not just to the latest hotsync but also roll-back to an early state if needed as well...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    Can backupman "backup" my website bookmarks, one-button favorites and photo caller id's?
    Can backupman "backup" my website bookmarks, one-button favorites and photo caller id's?
    Yup.
  7.    #7  
    That is useful!

A restore from a PC is NOT reliable. A restore from a backup program, not all, gives the best chance for a trouble free restore.
    I have a Sony Clie. It comes with a program called MSBackup. I had to do a hard reset and start over. I stupidly tried to Hot Sync, and it just crashed my Clie. I had to do another hard reset. I then restored from the MSBackup program, and it went flawlessly. The other nice thing about MSBackup is it saves files(not an image)on the memory stick. I have gone in and pulled individual files off to restore small problems without a hitch.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Most software lisences are locked to the user profile not the device, thus you shoud be able transfer applicatons. The main advantage of backup apps like backupman is the facility to backup from the card instead of hotsync b/c it eliminates the need for a PC which is very conveniant if you're on the road etc. Other advantages include the ability to specifically restore only specific relavant databases/apps instead of everything and the ability to restore to multiple older restore profiles. Thus you can restore not just to the latest hotsync but also roll-back to an early state if needed as well...
    I got my replacement Treo 600 and 'Monopoly' software didn't transfer over. I can't put backup man on my old Treo b/c I can't read the cracked screen. Ideas?

I got my replacement Treo 600 and 'Monopoly' software didn't transfer over. I can't put backup man on my old Treo b/c I can't read the cracked screen. Ideas?
    Hmm... that's odd? I also have monopoly on my Treo600 (Handmark) and recently had to do a hard reset. I resotred from my card via backupman with no problems including monopoly. Are you sure you selected all apps when you backed up? Worst case senario is that you jsut have to re-install the app...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Hmm... that's odd? I also have monopoly on my Treo600 (Handmark) and recently had to do a hard reset. I resotred from my card via backupman with no problems including monopoly. Are you sure you selected all apps when you backed up? Worst case senario is that you jsut have to re-install the app...
    I didn't back up. Only had treo for 2 weeks before breaking it & didn't have a backup program.
  12.    #12  
    Anybody know if I can get the Monopoly back on there?