1.    #1  
    We are seeing more and more of this generic problem: Treo works, then it doesn't for some unknown reason. IMHO, if something works out of the box, it usually keeps working. What is changing?

Several possibilities come to mind. First, perhaps Handspring did not perform adequate "burn in" tests of the Treo. Having several thousand out in the field is now revealing some hardware instability that was not apparent in testing. Kinda like the way most of us participate in beta testing of most Microsoft products.....

Second, this is an itty bitty computer, with relatively limited resources, and with inherant instabilities. I don't know about any of you folks, but every computer I have ever owned from the old Texas Instruments personal computer through several Macs, and on up to a Dell dual-Xeon Precision workstation has had instabilities which seem to progress over time, eventually requiring a disk wipe and clean software install. Every PDA I have ever had (Palm PRO, Ipaq 3750, Treo600) suffered from similar intermittent instabilities, although none ever became toast, ie, I could rescue them all in some form or fashion.

My semi-educated guess is that some combination of software, both onboard and third party, is symbiosing (parasitising?) in a negative manner. Perhaps some addressing errors are wiping or altering critical core data, like connection, identity, and password info. This might explain the numerous references to loss of Sprint Vision service.

Just my $.02.

PalmOne/Handspring, any comments?????
    Originally posted by Dalai Lama
    ...I don't know about any of you folks, but every computer I have ever owned from the old Texas Instruments personal computer through several Macs, and on up to a Dell dual-Xeon Precision workstation has had instabilities which seem to progress over time, eventually requiring a disk wipe and clean software install...
    I've never had a device that didn't require a soft reset from time to time as of course all major software has some bugs. However, with the exception of my Treo 180 (which despite all its faults was good enough to make me want a 600), I've never had to hard reset/re-install an OS other than when upgrading and my systems tended to get more rather than less stable as I got to know them and installed OS patches and fixes (Windows in particular). Maybe you like to run lots of beta software?

My (UK GSM) Treo 600 has so far been rock solid. Very few soft resets even.
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    Yeah. That is the problems with a piece of equipent that can be customized with 3rd party software. Any cell phone working within a closed environment will not experience the same problems because what you get is what you get. There can be no future compatibility problems, because there can be no future software additions. Everything can be tested before it goes into customers hands. Not so with the 600 where we can install practically anything.

For example, I emailed handspring to complain about the camera compared to my sony ericsson t616. they replied that some 3rd party apps change the resolution from 16bit to 8bit and screw up the screen. They did not say that this contributes to the quality of the pic itself. Anyway, they told me to do a hard reset, and it worked!! You can see the pic on the screen better.
    Hiya, No matter what anyone says. I rather have my t600 than anything else out there. So it is not perfect, what is? Yes, there is room for improvement, that is why there will be a t700 or some other name for the next gen. of the treo and I will get that as well. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    No problems here. Maybe you got a bad one. Mine works great and I have just about every piece of software available for it working regularly on it. Including watching full length movies on it! Check out my other thread on this:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...366e2ad/h.html
  6.    #6  
    Actually, mine does work fine, thank heavens! There is no other phone I would have at this point in time. But, we are seeing so many reports of problems that require replacement units. Probably the percentage of dying/dead units is no worse than for any other vaguely similar product. I am just wondering why they don't seem to die until they have been used for several weeks or months.

Is there any other way to check/override the pixel bit depth setting?
    Dalai - who is the 'we' in your posts? All I can say is that mine has been great. No issues at all.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    if people are having software issues, such as vision/web problems, it could be due to current issues that sprint is having with a system called NSP (or something like that). Hardware issues are one thing, as well as having devices just die. but I feel like people are taking a couple of postings about hardware issues along with service provider issues and quickly concluding that the t600 has a lot of "problems." mine has worked great since mid-october. smells like a little drama sometimes.
  9.    #9  
    Hey, I'm just trying to do a little amateur diagnosing.....

There have been several posts, though as you all correctly point out, probably less than a dozen, noting abrupt failure to connect to Sprint and or Vision, ultimately requiring replacement of the unit. The post from camartin prompted this particular train of thought for me.

I am of the fortunate majority with a beautifully functioning Treo600. I am overall very pleased with it, and as above, I know of no other phone I would prefer. I am NOT trying to bash the machine or anything of the sort.

I am really just wondering if it is really a Treo problem folks like camartin experienced, if it is a Sprint problem, or something like I outlined with too much conflicting software....