Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My T600 crashed on a recent trip to NY (interestingly, worked before I went through security at the Red Carpet Club in LGA and didn't work after I went through security). Can't connect to the network in any way (no calls or data).

Called support and they had me go to a store. Waited 45 minutes for a tech (only 3 people in line in front of me) and she agreed the phone was toast.

Unfortunately, Sprint stores in my area (Chicago) don't have any stock. I had to ask her to call around while I waited...no T600s available. She said that she'd continue to call around that day and call me later to let me know what she learned (note: I didn't receive the follow-up call). Based on what they know of shipping schedules, it could be a week or two before my unit can be replaced.

At that point, she was willing for me to go on my merry way. I asked to see a manager (I bought a phone because I travel a lot and need it). She said he wouldn't be able to help me either.

I told the manager I needed two things (1) a phone to use until my phone is replaced and (2) a solid date on when my phone will be replaced (even if it is two weeks from now).

The good news is that he provided the floor model as a temporary replacement (he had the gall to ask if I would accept it as a permanent replacement...it has a gash on the screen and rubber plugs missing on the back!).

He couldn't even guess at when I would get my permanent phone.

Based on my experience above, the achilles heel of the T600 is that Sprint can't support the phone if it breaks (at least until it moves out of sold out status). I doubt providing floor models as a temporary replacement will be an option for long (as they will run out too...or managers won't be willing to give them up).

One additional quick point: Backup Man was really helpful as I was able to hard reset and restore during trouble shooting. In addition, I restored my files on the temporary phone while walking out of the store...I was running as normal in minutes.
    Last edited by camartin; 01/03/2004 at 08:49 AM.
    I just purchased my Treo 600 since Christmas and noticed also that they were in very short supply. In fact, online, many vendors were out of them - and the local sprint store nearest me had only one in stock that was brand new so I grabbed it. I did ask about warranties and such and was told about the Equipment Replace Program through Lockline which Sprint has. No one mentioned it until I asked though. Supposedly, for $4/mos extra on your sprint bill, you get full and no questions asked replacement for lost/stolen/broken situations. On another forum I'm on, they all had raving reviews about having dropped or lost their treo's and having it replaced with refurbished or new ones almost instantly - and everyone encouraged me to get it. I figured I'd keep that on for a year or so, until I feel like I got my moneys worth out of the device. Now, reading what you've said, I wonder... how they will maintain this standard if the little beasties are so rare ... and what is up with that???

Good luck with your situation - I feel your pain
  3.    #3  
    My understanding is that equipment replacement through Lockline is for lost or stolen equipment (not warranty replacements). In addition, Lockline charges a $36 or so replacement fee...not something I'd be willing to pay when the phone breaks. One of the other downsides is that they replace with refurbished phones. I replaced a T300 using Lockline and it wasn't as good as getting a new phone (the battery wasn't as good).

That said, I do have the $4 Lockline program and may try to use it if I don't get a phone through normal channels in a reasonable time.
    We are seeing more and more of this generic problem: Treo works, then it doesn't for some unknown reason. IMHO, if something works out of the box, it usually keeps working. What is changing?

Several possibilities come to mind. First, perhaps Handspring did not perform adequate "burn in" of the Treo. Having several thousand out in the field is now revealing some hardware instability that was not apparent in testing.

Second, this is a computer, with relatively limited resources, and with inherant instabilities. I don't know about any of you folks, but every computer I have owned from the old Texas Instruments personal computer through several Macs, and on up to a Dell dual Xeon Precision workstation has had instabilities which seem to progress over time, eventually requiring a disk wipe and clean software install. Every PDA I have ever had (Palm PRO, Ipaq 3750, Treo600) suffered from similar intermittent instabilities, although none ever became toast, ie, I could rescue them all in some form or fashion.

My semi-educated guess is that some combination of software, both onboard and third party, is combinining in a negative manner. Perhaps some addressing errors are wiping or altering critical core data. This might explain the numerous references to loss of Sprint Vision service.

Just my $.02.

CAMartin, did you by any chance try a hard reset and restoration from your SD with BackupMan (or whatever) before declaring it dead? Just wondered....
    Sprint keeps on hand limited supplies of high end phones. They are expensive to have sit in inventory, so they tend to run out of them more quickly if they experience even a small run on them. I suspect most providers operate in this manner. That in combination with the popularity of this device and...

Lockline isn't meant to be used instead of your warranty. Every phone has a one year warranty, and should be used if the phone qualifies (no signs of physical/liquid damage.) One can only make use of Lockline 1-2 times in a year before they are cut off. There is a $35 deductable in addition to the $4.00 monthly fee, but they cover damage, loss, theft, out of warranty ...everything but cosmetic damage. A good value I feel for an expensive phone.

I guess ones only other option would be to contact Customer Care for replacement, but that can create other problems such as having the replacement phone billed to account in advance until the other unit is replaced.

If one travels frequently, stop by the Sprint stores in every location you are traveling to. If they have one, they are obligated to replace the phone. With hi end phones it seems luck and timing come into play with almost every provider.
    > Sprint keeps on hand limited supplies of high end phones. They
    > are expensive to have sit in inventory, so they tend to run out
    > of them more quickly if they experience even a small run on
    > them...

It seems somewhat strange to this reader that Sprint's web site has been saying the TREO 600 is out of stock for more than a month yet Handspring's/palmOne's web site says the lead time to have one shipped to you is 2 weeks max.

Oh - wait - I know!

Sprint is selling TREO 600s SO fast that the "out of stock" sign is taken off the TREO 600 item for mere hours at a time! (must be at most hours at a time because I check daily that and other sites).

Yes, that must be it!

Because I certainly can't think of any OTHER =good= reason.
    I decided to one day accidently drop my treo 600 and smash it into an nonusable state.

While I would agree warrantee issues might suck, I was happy to pay the $36 dollars to get a new Treo 600. After paying $600 for the so called priveledge I was pretty happy when it arrived 2 days later at my office.

Maybe you just need to throw it against a wall if it becomes defective lol.

-James
    Maybe we have to ride Sprint's A*S to keep extra treo 600's on hand for an emergency. That is the great thing about site like this. We all have to relate to sprint that this is not accpetable and keept he pressure on by posting here and telling them about all of the postings. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  9.    #9  
    Dalai Lama: I tried a hard reset without restore (keeping my software out as a factor) and then tried restoring different versions of my backups (going back a month or so). No luck.

James, I thought about smashing the phone (and would probably now) but now I have their floor model until my phone comes in...this phone works so I'm stuck for now.

I agree with the comments about keeping pressure on Sprint. I've been pretty successful in getting Walt Mossberg to respond to emails...that will be my first step (I'll send him an email for his Q&A column). Maybe he can cover the lack of ability to honor warranties as well as the ipod battery issue in one column. We should hold him somewhat accountable for the suggestions he makes (and to think through a full customer life cycle vs. just the feature set).
    I suspect the "achilles heal" of your Treo is the lack of a spell checker... ;-)
    Originally posted by camartin
    My understanding is that equipment replacement through Lockline is for lost or stolen equipment (not warranty replacements). In addition, Lockline charges a $36 or so replacement fee...not something I'd be willing to pay when the phone breaks. One of the other downsides is that they replace with refurbished phones. I replaced a T300 using Lockline and it wasn't as good as getting a new phone (the battery wasn't as good).

That said, I do have the $4 Lockline program and may try to use it if I don't get a phone through normal channels in a reasonable time.

So you're willing to commit insurance fraud if you can't get your phone replaced quickly enough? Pathetic. You raise an important issue (that shows one of the oft-quoted advantages of using separate PDA and cell phone), then you let everyone know you're not above petty theft. Perhaps you're getting exactly what you deserve...
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra

So you're willing to commit insurance fraud if you can't get your phone replaced quickly enough? Pathetic. You raise an important issue (that shows one of the oft-quoted advantages of using separate PDA and cell phone), then you let everyone know you're not above petty theft. Perhaps you're getting exactly what you deserve...
    What fraud? Lockline insurance is supposed to replace broken phones. His phone is broken.

As for short supply being an "achilles heel," give me a break. There have been initial shortages of supply for thousands of popular products, from Volkswagon New Beetles and Mazda Miatas to Apple I-Macs and digital cameras. This problem isn't new nor unique to the T600. And I'm sure it will go away soon enough.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.

Insurance Fraud lol. Sprint Commits fraud on 50% of their customers routinely. And by this I mean they don't know their head from their *** when it comes to customer service.

Ha ha... fraud... kind of like mis billing me for $1600 worth of cell service... ha ha... boy that made me laugh.

I don't think customers would have to resort to nefarious ways of servicing themselves if Sprint didn't defraud them of warrantee and service in the first place.

haha. Fraud... I just wanted to say that word again
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    What fraud? Lockline insurance is supposed to replace broken phones. His phone is broken.
    I agree. Well put.
    Originally posted by meyerweb

PCS Equipment Replacement Program

"For your protection and that of your PCS Device, Sprint offers the PCS Equipment Replacement Program. This program covers the replacement of equipment should your PCS Device or covered accessories (standard battery and charger*) be lost, stolen, or damaged. It also provides extended warranty coverage after the manufacturer's warranty on your PCS Device expires."

His defective phone is to be dealt with under his Sprint warranty, as most honest people can easily understand. If it makes you feel better to play word games with the meaning of "damaged", go right ahead. It's not like you're the first to try to rationalize insurance fraud. (After all, it's just mean old Sprint and a big bad insurance company, right?)
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by mblank
    I suspect the "achilles heal" of your Treo is the lack of a spell checker... ;-)
    You should have noticed that in my original post that Achilles Heel is spelled correctly in the title and in the body. The forum doesn't allow the original topic of the post to be edited or you wouldn't have seen that typo. You're anil natiure iz appricieded .
  17.    #17  

====

Judge me by my actions. I am going through the proper channels to have my phone replaced. A Sprint customer service agent (*611) even suggested that I try Lockline so I don't think that it would amount to fraud.
    This is a huge problem and I honestly think a class action is warranted against Handspring and Sprint. Handspring has completely washed its hands of its duties to provide a phone in working order by making Sprint the SOLE provider of warranty and tech support. But of course Sprint is useless. Your $600 phone can be DOA but Handspring doesn't give a ****. They tell you to call Sprint -- and if the Sprint store in your area doesn't have one in stock (how ridiculous is that), you are screwed. Sprint will not send you a new phone regardless -- you have to get it from the store. This is basically a way to save money by not providing warranty support, and I think we should sue Handspring. And I will probably never buy another Handspring product after this disaster.
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by masonuc
    This is a huge problem and I honestly think a class action is warranted against Handspring and Sprint. Handspring has completely washed its hands of its duties to provide a phone in working order by making Sprint the SOLE provider of warranty and tech support. But of course Sprint is useless. Your $600 phone can be DOA but Handspring doesn't give a ****. They tell you to call Sprint -- and if the Sprint store in your area doesn't have one in stock (how ridiculous is that), you are screwed. Sprint will not send you a new phone regardless -- you have to get it from the store. This is basically a way to save money by not providing warranty support, and I think we should sue Handspring. And I will probably never buy another Handspring product after this disaster.
    Agreed. I'd join the suit.
    Originally posted by masonuc
    Agreed.

I don't even have the words to describe my anger over the 3 Treo 300's I went through before I realized what a big scam it all was.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast