Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's been a few months now since the release of the Treo600 and I think most users here have come to appreciate functionality and design that the folks at Handspring (PalmOne) were able to create with the Treo600! It's definitely one best devices that I've ever owned despite some of it shortcomings, and great improvement over the previous generation Treo300 (at least IMO). Anyway, I thought it high time to discuss some preditions and wishes about the Treo in the next year! Below are my predictions which I think its a good mix of some conservative as well as dream concepts!

1) PalmOne finally releases much bally-hooed software/Rom update in Q1 of 2004 to fix lack of voice recorder functionality, blue dot phenomenon in camera, constant phone backlight issue etc.

2) T-Mobile finally releases Treo600 to the masses and not just vaunted business customers!

3) Verizon left out of the loop! The conspiratorial side of me thinks that Sprint is playing hardball here and wants to make sure it keep the exclusive market for CDMA Treo600.

4) PalmOne releases Treo600 version sans camera for enterprise! This would make sense IMO cuz there's lots of folks who simply cannot use camera phones in their workplace...

5) Next Treo line adopts PUC (palm universal connector)! This is only logical IMO and would bring the Treo in line with other high end offering from PalmOne. Primary reason why I bought the Palm Wireless keyboard!

6) Sprint finally launches it's locations based services in late 2004 thus enabling integrated GPS funtionality in Treo! We already know that most new Sprint mobiles have the Snaptrack AGPS chip installed. It's just a matter of launching the service to access the GPS! Can you imagine integrated voice activated GPS feature while driving on the Treo!

7) Next GSM Treo will offer dual mode quad-band GSM/EGDE wireless feature! This only make sense IMO. UMTS would be nice too, but we can't have everything! Or can we?

8) Next CDMA Treo from Sprint to offer Ready Link or PTT functionality as well as Video mail. It would be odd for future Treos not to have the option of adding these features. I know many people have their qualms about PTT, but it definitely would be a value added feature!

9) PalmOne rebrands Tungsten W line as Treo-W and launches it as a "data-centric" Treo with large high rez screen and thumbboard targeted for IT-types. This would be more of a pda-centric Treo meant to compete against the upcoming h6000 series from HP as well as BB Dell device. A tri-wireless, OS 6 "Treo-W" would be very nice IMO....

10) Treo600 price drops to sub $200 level by end-Q2/Q3 2004 thereby spurting further Treo600 sales. PalmOne slashes prices in anticipation of new Treo model release!

11) Next Treo released Sept/Oct 2004 will look something like this (where's Jake?) with many of the above listed features including BT, high rez screen 320x480 transflective (no CSTN BS), minimum 1 MP camera, Intel X-scale 400 MHZ based Palm OS 6 (multitaskng, multithreading), M-Systems based DiskOnChip NAND storage, rechargeable+replaceable battery, video-conferencing capable, and Blackberry client support!! Integrating wifi would be pushing it, but hopefully the SDIO slot will be compatible with Sandisk wifi card...

12) And finally by the end of the year, the Treo600 establishes itself as the number one PalmOS smartphone in the market and single handedly propels PalmOne into profitability! Treo600 finally makes strong foothold in Europe/Asia and successfully captures limited market share against Symbian/MS platform smartphone devices.

Okay, so what are ya'll predictions?
    Last edited by Gaurav; 01/02/2004 at 06:26 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    11) Next Treo released Sept/Oct 2004 will look something like this with many of the above listed features including BT, high rez screen 320x480 transflective (no CSTN BS), 1 MP camera, Intel X-scale 400 MHZ based Palm OS 6 (multitaskng, multithreading), M-System based DiskOnChip NAND storage, rechargeable+replaceable battery, and Blackberry client support!! Integrating wifi would be pushing it, but hopefully the SDIO slot will be compatible with Sandisk wifi card...
    I just don't see that happening. The improvements you're talking about would be major jumps in technology. I think the next Treo will be evolutionary and not revolutionary. They'll most certainly improve the screen to 320x320 AND have BT support, but I think the others are a pipe dream. The Treo is not intended to be a bleading edge device with the very latest in hardware. Handspring (PalmOne) will most likely use current established technology that is widely available and appeals to the masses.

Just my $.02,
    Rich
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by richlux

I just don't see that happening. The improvements you're talking about would be major jumps in technology. I think the next Treo will be evolutionary and not revolutionary. They'll most certainly improve the screen to 320x320 AND have BT support, but I think the others are a pipe dream. The Treo is not intended to be a bleading edge device with the very latest in hardware. Handspring (PalmOne) will most likely use current established technology that is widely available and appeals to the masses.

Just my $.02,
    Rich
    Well, I did say some of my predictions were "dream concepts!" Anyhoo, doesn't anyone else wanna go out on a limb here and make a prediciton of their own?

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    gfunkmagic you should work for palmone. those idots in suits don't have a clue.

shame on them for releasing a pda/phone in 2003 q3 with an el cheapo screen and no bluetooth.

hopefully they read these forums and tell their engineers to get cracking.
    Usual Suspects Entertainment
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
    Gfunk, as always your thoughts were insitful and right on the $ thanks. take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    Gfunk, as always your thoughts were insitful and right on the $ thanks. take care, jay
    I agree...don't go changin'. I think you're right, the treo is what will propel PalmOne
    1. does the current firmware update do anything to improve the camara? You would think it would.

2. I'm not too sure about this one.

3. I think verizon will by the summer.

4. i can see this, but not by itself. camara removed=bluetooth added?

5. wouldn't the inards have to be re-worked?

6. this is greek to me

7. i can see this happening.

8. see 7.

9. they drop w (the device, not the President) in anticipation of what they know the next treo will do.

10. could happen.

11. we will hear about it, but wont be available until 2005. I don't think it will have the capabilities of the then current hight end palms, but close. If they could pinch pennies with the current screen (but with higher resolution), I think they would. Black berry support will happen with current 600s. I like your no attenna design.

12. you mean it isn't already the best palm phone out? Dont you just feel sorry for those Kyocera users. HA.

13. after the design in the bag for the new treo, hawkins gets an emeritus next to his title. The brain awaits.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    here are my predictions - dream mode:

1) 320 x 480 screen
    2) 64 - 128 MB memory
    3) bluetooth
    4) voice recorder
    5) 1 mega pixel camera
    6) upgraded blazer
    7) mult- threading 400 mhz intel processor
    8) quad band - gsm and cdma!!!! all-in-one. talk about carrying your number anywhere.
    having a sprint and t-mobile account both for this phone. you would use the sprint cdma for local coverage, and switch to roam on gsm t-mobile or at&t when traveling.
    9) removable battery
    10) 65,000 colors

if palmone releases this phone, what a revolution!
    1) 320x320 (a no brainer)

2) 48MB of Memory (too cheap to go to 64 right away)

3) Voice recorder (yes, makes sense)

4) 200mhz processor (to save battery life)

5) 1 MPixel camera (makes much sense)

6) Bluetooth (yes, along with an awesome wireless headset - ala SonyEricsson)

7) 65K color display

8) SD expansion card with this feature http://www.canesta.com/products.htm
    "I see dead pixels..."
    Originally posted by treosensei
    here are my predictions - dream mode:

8) quad band - gsm and cdma!!!! all-in-one. talk about carrying your number anywhere.
    having a sprint and t-mobile account both for this phone. you would use the sprint cdma for local coverage, and switch to roam on gsm t-mobile or at&t when traveling.
    This would be GREAT!!! Is this even possible? I sure hope so.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Multi network radios (GSM and CDMA and Bluetooth and WiFi in one chip) are possible with the use of software radios. They are still way in development, but I have heard of some prototypes being shown off recently. The cool thing about them, is that instead of the frequency they go on being hard coded in the chip, it is totally flexible so that one chip can be on any part fo the spectrum with any protocal etc..

As for my predictions, I think it is a shoein that we will see a upgraded Treo this spring that includes a higher res screen, built in bluetooth, and perhaps more memory/faster processor/better camera. This will be at the expense of battery life, but you have to give up some things. Most likely it would have the exact same form factor/plastics as the current Treo.

In the Fall I think PalmOne will release yet another revision to the treo form factor (I'm sure Jeff thinks that there is still more that needs to be done) running Palm OS 6. I'm optimistic, but I feel that the specs from the spring 04 treo will be carried over into the new form. At this point the Treo 270/300 will be officialy discontinued.

Also in the course of the year,

Blackberry software comes to the Treo increasing enterprise sales of the device. I think I see RIM trying to become more of a software company, and letting other companies deal with the higher risk part of making hardware. I don't follow them too closely, so I could be wrong in this observation.

A treo (perhaps this spring?) will be able to use the EDGE network that is being launched nationwide by AT&T. The Treo is the perfect mobile device to use the new faster networks. I think that this is a hardware upgrade, but I may be wrong and it could be in software.

I have conflicting views on the future of the Tungsten W. I think of it as a Tungsten C with real wireless; ie, it doesn't fit under the treo group at Palm. All pda's are becoming somewhat wireless, whether 802.11 or bluetooth, so the Tungsten W would jsut be an extension of that into a cellular network.

Lets see what else is gonna happen in the software market...

SnapperMail releases version 2.0, with built in IMAP support. While I'm sure that Will Lau is doing fine on his own, the program that he has developed is so valuable, I would not be surprised if snapperfish was bought by a larger PDA company, as Handspring did with blazer, and how palm did with multimail way back when.

Sometime mid this year, the availability of Java on the treo will greatly increase the useability of it, as the cellphone apps such as streaming video are able to be run on it. Carriers will be happy to have the extra income streams.

Developers will release a voice recording app, along with perhaps a video recording app, pending the release of a firmware update by palmone to fix some major bugs. (Some developers have commented on this before).

As the amount of treo users grow, developer base will grow, and I'm sure we will see more innovation, and more cool apps that utilize wireless, and connect the Treo to the rest of the world. (I know, what a great blanket statement)

Talking about Microsoft, I have an article in the wings to go over a smartphone conference I went to, but the market that their smartphone's are going after is COMPLETLEY different from Palmone's. Microsoft and PalmOne are viewing the smartphone wireless market very differently, with microsoft going for devices that just make a phone more useable and useful (ie syncability), which in the end is a greater market than what palmone is going after, making a new category. The Microsoft smartphone is a phone that syncs, the Treo is a REAL smartphone. I don't take microsoft as a threat this year, but hey, it's microsoft, they've dominated so many other markets, why not try for this one?

This is more of a hope than a prediction, but this year I think that there will be a formation of some sort of standerds for SDIO cards to make it easier for them to work on many devices with all the little differences, be plug and play, and for developers to write software for them. The frustrations that sandisk are showing, and many other companies show the big problem with sdio, and more importantly perhaps why the market has not taken off at all compared to springboards; even though there are millions more compatible devices than there ever were visors.

Last of all, this refers to a rumor brighthand published about apple making a pda (these rumors never die) http://www.brighthand.com/article/Ru...n_Circulation. Palmone has been talking about licensing some of their software ip to other companies, and think about it, what makes the Treo special isn't it's hardware as much as it's software. I mean, we all tolerated the huge Treo 300 because it rocked on the inside. And while Handspring has gotten it right, and done a great job with the 600, there is always room for more. This is going on a limb, but I think that if palmone were to license anything, and if apple was truely making a handheld, it would be a smartphone with their unique hardware and design, running the treo software, along with apple imporvements. Of course, there are SO many more reasons of why this wouldn't happen (why would palmone want to compete with another company when they have a monopoly on their UI etc), it is a far off thought that could, maybe happen.

I'm done. Time to sleep. Happy New Year.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    2 more things after reading gfunkmagic's post.

Sprints exclusitivity on the Treo 600 i believe ends soon, Verizon will hopefully be selling the Treo 600 before summer. They see how well it is selling, they have seen the petitions.. The Treo 600 will be the first smartphone to be on EVERY single major carrier in the US. And yes, it will be the number one seller (It's beating the mpx200 (ms smartphone) on amazon, even though it costs $250, and the mpx200 is free!). And yes, this might finally be profitable...

The Treo that I envision to be relased in spring will continue to use the treo connector. After that I am unsure if PalmOne will alienate their current userbase by chaning the connector, or keep it that the Treo line uses the Treo connector. Personaly, I think they should just do the latter.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by miradu
    Multi network radios (GSM and CDMA and Bluetooth and WiFi in one chip) are possible with the use of software radios. They are still way in development, but I have heard of some prototypes being shown off recently. The cool thing about them, is that instead of the frequency they go on being hard coded in the chip, it is totally flexible so that one chip can be on any part fo the spectrum with any protocal etc..
    Thanks Miradu for the insight! Yeah, software radios would be the ultimate soluton for flexible wireless exchange and on the go network switching. Very futurist stuff. However, there are solutions that exist today such as R-UIM that allows to roam between CDMA and GSM networks with a multimode device. This technology has been around for years, but the problem is that wireless providers like Sprint et al have been dragging their feet and have been hesitant on incorporating this technology over competive fears. I personally don't think we'll truely see a full scale multi-mode, tri-wireless solution until full deployment of UMTS (WCDMA) and CDMA2000 (1xEvDv) occurs allowing greater interoperability which probably is still at minimum 2-3 years away...

gfunk...dude, when do you sleep?!
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    2004 at the speed things are going for Palm devices will bring no hardware changes.

The Handspring development team, after spending time upgrading the 300 onto the 600, which was an evolutionary instead of a revolutionary adaptation, spent too much time negotiating with providers and no plans are in the works to even change the 600.

And the other handhelds are so clueless that the window is still open.

It will be in 2005 that Palm will finally realize that the Handspring team is more like a bunch of liberal arts dreamy type elitist artsy bunch instead of a kickass why don't we put a 2 Mb camera in there type.

I've been comparing pictures taken by other handhelds and it is embarrasing. Our screen is embarrasing.

While I agree that for now all the other solutions are not as good as the Treo, I cannot imagine the competition, which is incorporating much more advanced though clueless technology into their devices not noticing Treo's awards and reverse engineering an Oert way before Donna gets going.

Of course as long as it is a Palm based system we will love it, so as customers we will win.

I will give this to the Treo team: it brought us here. Amongst all the technologies out there they managed to cook up the right balance.

But boy did they hit the brakes. Really the technology inside the Treo 600 is 2 years old.

2003 and 2004 are the lost years. Makes sense considering little funding went to high tech after the burst bubble, and all the money Handspring got went to the pockets of designers for Merrill Lynch type "I made it big and got a yacht" scenarios, not can we have a better Palm phone activities.
    Especially when a few reduced capabilities means superior battery life (think Gameboy). The Handspring team cut corners where it counts.

The major achievement here is the delivery of superior PDA functionality that lasts longer than the competition (10 real hours of continuous use, rather than 3-4 hours of use). And the delivery of a super-bright screen that doesn't kill the battery.

The Treo 600 screen is perfect for streaming wireless video (which should be lowrez for at least the next year) as well as J2ME games and appz.

The response I've gotten from my Treo 600 on the streets is DEAFENING. Everyone in business wants one...

A bump in camera rez to 1 megapixel, increased RAM, bluetooth... All these should not adversely affect battery life. However, the 320x320 screen would definitely hit the battery hard.
    "I see dead pixels..."
    Coming from a business background, I would think that Palmone should recognize the vast pool of potential and repeat customers, seize the market of folks who can and do spend this type of money on a smartphone and improve the Treo to a minimal of a high res screen, flash for the camera, throw in voice record, voice ringers, BT (video would be nice, but I'm reaching). And I would be a happy repeat customer.

Unfortunatley, companies are sometimes more focussed on things like distribution, contracts with vendors, and meeting release deadlines, etc to really focus or invest the mega bucks on vast advertising to really max out the target market. Cuz if the woman to the left and the man to the right of me have NEVER seen or even heard of a Treo what does that say about adverterising and marketing?

The rest of the suggestions here may be more than the co is willing to even try and do, tho it would be real nice to see more of these suggested added features implemented in patches and upgrades.

The question is how much would you be willing to pay for these added features considering the Treo came out the door at $599 minus discounts and incentives? I paid a total of $433 including shipping for my Treo and would be reluctant to pay the full price for an expensive phone.

P.S. In addition, it would be wise for PalmOne to have enough units available to meet the demand and interest in their product upon any new release. The backorder, unavailable situation is just not good business.

My .2 cents
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 01/03/2004 at 09:43 AM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    If there was just one thing I'd like to see added, it wouldn't be a hi-res screen, it wouldn't be Bluetooth, it wouldn't be a better camera.

It would be voice recording.

Why?

Because that would be one more 'device' integrated...

If the developer info that is on the Handspring site is accurate then the hardware *should* already be able to do this, so er, all that is needed is software and/or firmware update.

Oh and my 3-year-old Motorola Timeport had this functionality...
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    Originally posted by tgabber
    If there was just one thing I'd like to see added, it wouldn't be a hi-res screen, it wouldn't be Bluetooth, it wouldn't be a better camera.

Why?

Because that would be one more 'device' integrated.
    You are exactly correct. As a road warrior the treo is in need of a voice recorder if it's to be considered an adequate business tool. Until then it falls short. To the gadget crowd it's not an issue. To those who make it happen in every company ,sales, it is. Put a recorder in it , fix a few bugs, improve a few features and you'll really have something that improves productivity. It's intended purpose.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 01/03/2004 at 07:57 PM.
    Originally posted by tgabber

Why?

Because that would be one more 'device' integrated...

If the developer info that is on the Handspring site is accurate then the hardware *should* already be able to do this, so er, all that is needed is software and/or firmware update.

Oh and my 3-year-old Motorola Timeport had this functionality...
    I think you'd need to do some market research to test this out. For instance, I've never used (nor know of anyone who has used or have seen anyone use) a voice recorder. However most everyone I know has a camera of 3+ megapixels. Thus the device saving thing for us would be a better camera. The argument that it already has a camera is a moot one because it's equavalent to a voice recorder that can record every 5th word, which isn't very good.

As for Bluetooth that would be a major addition for a friend that leased a new Acura TL (I think it's a TL). It comes with built in circuitry to recognize the phone and supplies a handsfree experience that generally costs a lot of money. I don't know the number of people that use BT, but I think it might be a bit. I personally don't have much of a need for it yet.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast