Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I find myself not really knowing what to call my Treo 600. I find that I am not doing it any justice to just call it my Phone, my Palm Pilot (PDA), my personal internet/e-mail gadget, my digital camera, my MP3 player, my small movie player, my personal book reader or anything else this thing can do. It is truly amazing all the different uses this little gadget is capable of.

One of my friends has a Blackberry and loved it until he checked out my Treo 600. Now he is ready to jump ship from his Blackberry to the Treo 600. He was amazed at all this little device has to offer. When someone mentions "Blackberry" everyone knows what it is and what it can do. When I mention the name "Treo" hardly anyone knows what it is, but once I show them they are blown away.

I wonder if we will get to the point where the name "Treo" will be as recognizable a brand as the name "Blackberry" has become because IMO the Treo (all around) is a much better device.

Some of you may even have nicknames for your Treo 600. I am just curious as to what you may be calling your little amazing gadget.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    I call my Treo Samantha. Because I think its sexy.

Actually, when it comes up in conversation I simply call it my smartphone. Which typically brings upon an onslaught of questions.

Most of my friends think I'm silly to have this expensive "toy," until they need something looked up on the Internet and I have the information on hand almost immediately.

However, a question for you: What are you using on your Treo to watch "small movies?"

Thanks!
    NJK
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by theleetbeagle
    I call my Treo Samantha. Because I think its sexy.

Actually, when it comes up in conversation I simply call it my smartphone. Which typically brings upon an onslaught of questions.

Most of my friends think I'm silly to have this expensive "toy," until they need something looked up on the Internet and I have the information on hand almost immediately.

However, a question for you: What are you using on your Treo to watch "small movies?"

Thanks!
    NJK
    Kinoma. Quality is not good, but the "cool factor" makes up for that.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Mine: The Pimp Brick...strange, I know, but a slightly tipsy friend at a party saw me showing it to a few lady friends. He wanted to know what the "pimp brick" was all about. The girls promptly left but I laughed my a** off.

I love my Pimp Brick.
    When I was waiting on the delivery of the new addition to the gadget family I called it "Mr. T."

But now that we have been together for a while and we have taken our relationship to the next level, I just call it "BABY."
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Originally posted by GeekyMom
    When I was waiting on the delivery of the new addition to the gadget family I called it "Mr. T."

But now that we have been together for a while and we have taken our relationship to the next level, I just call it "BABY."
    I call it "Rosey" because it feels so good in my palm.
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Definitely "my baby"
    I call it The Gadget. But only because the name is inherited from all the countless gadgets I've owned previously (Casio Boss, Sharp Wizard, Psion 3, Psion 5, Palm Pilot Pro, Palm III, Palm IIIc, Palm 505, Palm 515, iPaq 3600, iPaq 3650, Toshiba 310, Tungsten C, T-Mobile XDA, iPaq 1910, Samsung i700, Treo 600).

For a while I would get away with "forgetting" to do tasks I didn't want to do that my wife had assigned to me. She eventually learned to say "Get out your gadget and write this down...", and honestly, I'd have no excuse not to do whatever or show up whereever, since I always had my gadget with me. My wife is the most technologically reluctant person you'll ever want to meet, but even she has relented and has started using a PDA.

In fact, my 6 yr old son is so used to both me and my wife referring to our "gadgets" in terms of getting things done that he actually asked me if I could "get out my gadget" and make him some pancakes. Heh heh.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I think less is more, and mostly just call it 'my phone', since the Treo is a phone first, both in design and my day to day use. Besides nobody knows what a 'Treo' is (yet). The fad with cell phones is to have little gimmicky features, but the Treo 600 totally blows all of that out of the water. Yes it can play cheesy ringtones, take crappy pictures, have a customized picture background, send and receive text messages, but with the PalmOS and Treo hardware it generally does these things better and this is really just the starting point. The hardware is not the most advanced out there for a PDA, but I wanted the Treo because a phone with PDA functionality is more useful to me than both a separate phone and a top of the line PDA. I think most of the non-whining users of the Treo bought it with the same mindset and are thrilled with it as I am. So I call it 'my phone' because it has been my experience that it performs solidly as a phone first and because there's so many situations where it is applicable to say 'I'll just do X on my phone' or 'I was doing Y on my phone' or 'I could use my phone to do Z' (check/send/recieve email/text messages, take/send pictures, typical palmos contact/datebook/memo/todo functionality, listen to MP3s/streaming radio through the speaker/headset, look up information/browse the actual internet vs. some 'wireless web page' portal or other BS, play chess and a wide variety of other games, watch full length videos,remotely control my desktop computer, emulate/play NES/Game Gear/Game Boy game roms, type huge responses to online forums from my bed while I've got the flu ;-), etc., etc., etc.) and when you say it like that the inevitable reaction is 'huh? what kind of phone do you have?'... 'well it's called the Treo 600 and...' it's demonstration time ;-). So with all the Treo users having expieriences like this all the time and people seeing what it can do and then buying one and spreading the word themselves, hopefully the name 'Treo' will be as familiar as Blackberry or Palm Pilot...
    Last edited by dpuza; 01/03/2004 at 11:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    ... but honestly I'd be happy if PalmOne/Handspring and the Treo got all the competition in the world because I think it's great to be able to do all this with a device that's small and convenient enough to keep on you at all times and forget about, and with a decent (virtually all day) battery life at that. I think that this paradigm is crucial and hope that the technology companies catch on and start exploiting it ASAP rather than holding back in greed to squeeze every penny they can from the helpless consumers. Someone's signature on the boards here is 'better living through technology' - I'm all for that. (sorry for not crediting the name but I don't want to get it wrong and hurt feelings). The release of the Treo (300/600) really does get me excited about 'the future of handheld computing' ;-), but even with the current model Treo and the imperfections that it does have, so many revolutionary things already are possible, and what's greater is that it's a PalmOS device and the potential for software development is huge. With enough development time, first of all it is possible to solve everybody's software complaints and bring back those features that somehow are not present on the device 'out of the box', and second of all to create applications to accomplish what we've so far only imagined. I am a software developer and excited that even I, an end user, personally has the opportunity to modify and adapt the functionality of 'my phone' to make it do whatever I can imagine. My stance has always been that, to me, no other *phone* that *exists* can do what the Treo does. Period. *ok, stepping down from my soapbox now.* ...phew, now if only all the TreoCentral members worked for a division of PalmOne... - Posted, of course, from 'my phone', the Treo 600.
    Hell, my Treo came in super handy last night in finding directions to a club in Akron. Didn't have a clue where I was going, so I pulled over, turned the 4-ways on and within 120 seconds had the address and directions thanks to superpages.com

Obviously, this isn't a first for me, but for finding directions and addresses it can typically do a pretty swell job (as long as WAP is up and superpages has the place i'm looking for in their database).

NJK
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Yep, being able to look up stuff on the fly is so cool. I use "Dir Assist" for directions, telephone numbers plus it posts them to your Phone book and all for free. Don't know if the Pages keeps your destination address for directions, but that's a plus too not having to reenter it when you need new directions from home.

Here's the link if you want to check it out:

http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/#da
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    In my house, it's called "Dad's geek toy".
    I call it a Treo600...

But the non smart arse answer, that you most likley want is .....

"Smartphone", "communicator", "My all in one, batman untilty belt repalcement"
    I call it my "New gadget". My wife, however, constantly refers to it as my "litle thing".

I always have to confirm what she's referring to though. . . .
    I call it my brain.
    My Treo has more memory than I do.
    I just call it "my phone". Friends, coworkers and family seem to smile and roll their eyes every time I start a "You should see this cool thing on my phone" presentation. (They ARE always impressed but I hear nerd and geek all the time now.)
    That Dir Assist program mentioned above is pretty cool, as is Minutes Plus, but MP crashes my Treo 600 constantly.

Anyone else have this prob?

NJK
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Itsss.......The Preciousss
  20. jha
    i call mine 'my lovely treo'
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast